Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes you get up and leave?
What makes you get up and leave?
Imagine you are in a theater and have no idea what movie is about to be played. What would you see that makes you completely indifferent to what follows that, to the point where you get up and leave the theater?

For me it could be very early on. If the movie title had "Saw" or "Transformers" in it, I'd be out of there quickly.

However, if the title wasn't a tip-off, and I waited through the intro material, excessive gratuitous violence or sadistic suffering would be enough to make me seek the exit.
RE: What makes you get up and leave?
1) Rap.
Just about every sappy romantic comedy.
CGI characters
JJ Abrams.
(November 22, 2018 at 6:58 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Imagine you are in a theater and have no idea what movie is about to be played. What would you see that makes you completely indifferent to what follows that, to the point where you get up and leave the theater?

For me it could be very early on. If the movie title had "Saw" or "Transformers" in it, I'd be out of there quickly.

However, if the title wasn't a tip-off, and I waited through the intro material, excessive gratuitous violence or sadistic suffering would be enough to make me seek the exit.

I think not having a sensitive enough "get up and leave" trigger has been a bane for me and my enjoyment of the theater for some time. For whatever reason, I'm not satisfied by the same things I was satisfied by in my youth. The jokes no longer zing. The humor has faded. The action, become dull and lifeless. And I could care less about boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy becomes mutant lizard stories. It's not that I'm depressed, I haven't been better on that score in all my life. I don't know what it is, but the thrill is gone. So when I go to the theater, I'm happy to sit through the entire thing even if what I've already seen doesn't inspire me with hope that my perseverance will be rewarded. It's something of a matter of principle. So the collision of these two facts is that I end up spending days in the cinema unfulfilled. I'm not sure getting up and leaving is the answer though. As that's not a cure, so much as it is just treatment of the symptoms.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
A character bullying someone else. It wasn't in a theater, which made it easier to do, but I was at someone's house where the kids were watching a movie. And there was a bullying scene. I was bullied so much when I was younger, seeing it just makes me angry. And of course later in the movie the bully is supposed to get a redemption arc, and in the end it turned out she bullied the boy because she liked him, but all I could think of was wanting to punch her in the face.

Also if something is a bit too silly, and the comedy is a bit too out there, it kind of turns me off. Which is sad, because it means it's hard to watch Jim Carry movies now.

Also don't give me a movie where there's a third act misunderstanding that pads out the run time. I don't want to see characters get into a fight because someone who doesn't have the full story refuses to listen to the explanation long enough to be corrected.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Deadpool. "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

I don't know what people found funny about him. Apparently I missed it.

I don't get up and leave. I just narrow my choices to target rich environments, like action pictures, which satisfy me more reliably than other types.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Or how about when the first movie has two people get together in love, then the sequel has them broken up just so they can get back together again, as if it's going to be just as magical as the last time.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I don't go to movies anymore.  If I want to see cars explode I'll go watch Phoenix traffic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unintended improvisation that makes the final cut. Brian37 8 465 June 20, 2021 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  TV ads that get you to throw a brick at your TV. Brian37 27 1173 March 21, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  This is my fave cartoon, always makes me cry Brian37 6 796 January 14, 2020 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5316 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Resurrection - makes no sense Foxaèr 7 1344 December 25, 2014 at 8:20 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb