Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My father
My father
My father and I did not get along as well as we might have liked. I'm going to try an focus on other things.

My father was born in 1938 to second generation Lithuanian (father) and Polish (mother) parents. My great-grandfather's immugration record says "Russian" however, he emigrated in 1917 so that would be politically correct if enthically incorrect.

My father grew up poor. His father worked in a furniture factory his entire working life, except when economic conditions didn't allow for it, and when WWII took him to Europe.

My paternal family was dirt ass poor and uneducated. Despite this, my father not only graduated from high school and earned a college degree, he went on to earn a Ph.D in marine biology from the University of Washington and worked as an fisheries and environment scientist during his career.

He was an emotionally distant man. I often wondered if he had the same thoughts I did that led him to distance. I'll never know.

Dad was an avid fisherman and hunter. He gave up hunting when he turned 60 and blue water fishing a decade later. Despite growing up in grim tones he did very well for himself, better than any in his line.

We weren't close. We were alike in more ways I would either count or recount here.

Six weeks ago yesterday we learned he had fallen. Later we learned he had a traumatic brain injury. He would never be able to return home. I had this nagging intuition about his fate. He was at the facility he was currently living in, the family was at his home, readying it for sale to pay for his care.

As my wife, son and I were leaving we got a call from his nurse. He was not well, we started the drive home to get to him.

Less than an hour later, I got a call from my sister. He was found unresponsive in cardiac arrest.

He was ready to go. I only wish we had taken him back home to die.
RE: My father
So sorry for your loss <3
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Condolences, man.  It is never easy.
Again, my sincerest condolences.
Dying to live, living to die.
Sad. Sorry for your loss. :no emoji appropriate for the situation:
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Total downer for you. Don't beat yourself up about the "dying at home" wish. In our society today, and at his age, most don't die at home. 

I'm confident that you did your best for your dad. Hang in there.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The finality of it is stark. I wish you the best in coping, my friend.

He sounds like he was an interesting man.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I hope the coming days are not too difficult, and that you are able to make his final arrangements smoothly. I’m sorry.
(November 25, 2018 at 10:59 pm)wyzas Wrote: Total downer for you. Don't beat yourself up about the "dying at home" wish. In our society today, and at his age, most don't die at home. 

I'm confident that you did your best for your dad. Hang in there.

Yeah it's a if-had-known-then thing. We didn't know. We couldn't.

I'm not really beating myself up. In the end it was a less shitty end of life than a lot of people have. I'm grateful his suffering is over.
We made the arrangements for his cremation this afternoon. I managed to keep myself emotionally detached to get through the process.

I felt guilty about it seeming to be about me now but I realized that now that he's gone, it kind of is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I love my father? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1212 December 8, 2018 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I feel like my father is too severe Der/die AtheistIn 10 1076 November 7, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker