Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Practice" religion?
"Practice" religion?
I really hate use of the word "Practice" when it comes to religion, ANY RELIGION in the world.

You practice medicine. You practice music. You practice a sport. You practice law. The only thing you are doing with a religion is following it.

Repeating words in a book or rituals is following. The psychology is for the individual to justify why they are good. 

Sorry, but what is to "practice" about being non violent and not steeling from others and having empathy for others? That should be a no brainer. 

I don't need a god, or holy person, or old book to refrain form doing harm to others. Refraining from harming others requires no practice at all.
RE: "Practice" religion?
Fuck that.

I don' t want the doctor practicing on me.

Learn how, then perform medicine on my ass.

Practice on cadavers or death row inmates wouldja?
(December 21, 2018 at 1:24 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Fuck that.

I don' t want the doctor practicing on me.

Learn how, then perform medicine on my ass.

Practice on cadavers or death row inmates wouldja?

Ugggg...... To get to the degree on your wall, you have to go to school and earn that degree. Yea I agree, learn first, get it right then work on me. 

"Practice" as far as a private licence does not mean the same thing. Just like theists confuse "law" as lawgiver like congress, when science uses law differently.

I get what you are implying here, but the word "practice" as used by lawyers and doctors does not imply using clients as guinea pigs. 

That reminds me of the time when I took my mother to a heart doctor, and in the exam room he had that stupid reproduction painting of Jesus standing behind the doctor guiding his hands. All I could fucking think at that moment was, "If you cut my mother open, the only thing I want you focused on is her."

That also reminds me of what Captain Sully said after landing the passenger jet on the Hudson when asked by a reporter if he said a prayer, "I didn't have time." I always loved that, reporter didn't expect that sane response.
A wee Google informs me that 'practice religion' is a perfectly acceptable phrase.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/practice

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Maybe they should practice what they preach.
(December 21, 2018 at 1:37 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: A wee Google informs me that 'practice religion' is a perfectly acceptable phrase.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/practice

Boru

Imagine that, a dictionary that servers a mostly theist world would find it acceptable.

Again, what is to "practice"?

1. Ritual? Sure ok. And, people have different rituals on a planet of 7 billion. 

2. Repeating words written in antiquity? Ok, again, 7 billion humans read different words.

How do these "practices" prove anything other than people mostly get sold the traditions of their parents and societies they are born into?

That isn't a "practice" that is following.

A trumpet player in Japan and a trumpet player in Italy or South America have to learn , even if not how to read music, at a minimum, repeat muscle memory training to get good enough as to not sound like crap. That takes practice.

A doctor has to go through anywhere from 8 years to 12 years of school to earn a medical licence. That takes practice.

If you want to end up in pro hockey, or pro football or pro soccer, again, that takes practice.

But you don't need a religion at all to be told not to harm anyone, that doesn't take practice, that is just our evolutionary empathy.
Practice makes perfect.

"Practicing a profession" does not mean "trying to do it well".
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
(December 21, 2018 at 1:50 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: Practice makes perfect.

"Practicing a profession" does not mean "trying to do it well".

I never claimed all musicians, doctors, sports stars, lawyers always get it right.

I am merely arguing usage of the word in the context of religion. 

Certainly there are crappy doctors, crappy lawyers, crappy sports stars. You can practice music and still suck at it sure.

But with religion, you are only following, not practicing.
Practice has more than one meaning Brian.
Quote:But with religion, you are only following, not practicing.

I'm not sure I see the distinction.  If a woman 'practices medicine', she is following the precepts of medicine.  If that same woman 'practices religion', isn't she doing the same thing?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10728 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19826 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49325 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Just ordered this anti-religion shirt. Need to be grilled for practice MusicLovingAtheist 20 3935 September 15, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: MusicLovingAtheist
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5187 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Per request, here's some target practice. tackattack 19 4668 March 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: tackattack