Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you? A theoretical question.
Would you? A theoretical question.
There are lots of examples of oppression and cruelty in our species history worldwide. Now considering that times change an power shifts over hundreds and thousands of years, would you prefer an enemy defeat you so that our species can survive say 1,000 or 20,000 or a million years from now if that was the only way our species could survive or would you prefer to have a nuclear war just so nobody wins?

I don't like China or Iran or Saudi Arabia or Russia or North Korea. My point is that our conflicts are current and short term. No power lasts forever, and evolution is far older than our human invented excuses which amount to a struggle over controlling resources. 

This isn't an argument on my part saying I don't have my own position. It does cut to the core of Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech, and a recognition That we are one species.

Is it more important to our species to win at all costs, or survive long term?
RE: Would you? A theoretical question.
The species is going extinct, no matter what.
survive long term
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(January 3, 2019 at 6:02 pm)no one Wrote: The species is going extinct, no matter what.

Yea, the dinosaurs could start a ivy league college on that, not the point.

In the scope of the planet and sun yes, it does not matter. But why not while you are here and can do something to extend the finite ride, why not try?

I hate how humans fight each other. I don't mean mere trash talk. I hate how knowing in reality we need to accept we, not other life are the invasive species. If you want to claim all life will end, I agree, it will. But at least, while I am alive, I'd like to think what I say causes more in my species to ease off the button.
Humans excel at hating each other. Humans are a terrible creature. It's funny, for being the planet's most intelligent creature, they are also without a doubt it's most retarded as well. It is the main reason why I fucking hate them!
(January 3, 2019 at 6:13 pm)no one Wrote: Humans excel at hating each other. Humans are a terrible creature. It's funny, for being the planet's most intelligent creature, they are also without a doubt it's most retarded as well. It is the main reason why I fucking hate them!

We are no different than any other species. We are not automatically horrible. I dont hate Ann Frank or Martin Luther King or Ghandi or Malala. Their logic is another story. 

I wouldn't put it that way. I think humans more often than not think locally and greed unfortunately dominates our species drive for control of resources. It isn't that most humans are greedy, but in that the most ruthless win, in our entire species history. The key to me to defeating our species dark side, isn't making it about labels, such as religion, class, political or religious ideology, but in facing the fact we are the same species and are all finite despite our differences.
I like individual persons. I hate the species. They are just awful!
Depending on conditions, extinction would be preferable to survival.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 3, 2019 at 6:30 pm)no one Wrote: I like individual persons. I hate the species. They are just awful!

I agree, individuals are far easier to relate to than any collective.

I like you also hate my species. Not in that they are void of compassion and empathy, they have that too. I hate my species because more often than not we have a bad tendency to think locally and only look at and defend that which we grow up accustom to.

(January 3, 2019 at 7:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Depending on conditions, extinction would be preferable to survival.

Boru

I get that too. If I had my choice of being the spider of Charlotte's Web or Hitler, who stupidly thought there was a master race, I'd choose Charlotte every time.
You mean like in Planet of the Apes?

Do I get free bananas? Because I love free bananas Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you get rid of your sexual desire if you could? Macoleco 78 12175 October 16, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What would you do if you found out we are all in a sim? ignoramus 46 3587 October 9, 2017 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3995 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin