Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are some moderates insistent on religious rituals?
Why are some moderates insistent on religious rituals?
I understand why some moderates insist on baptism, religious wedding and funerals. I disagree with them, but I understand why they want those things so bad.
However, what I do not understand is if a moderate insist that you shouldn't clean the house or do the laundry on Sunday, even if they claim that God won't punish you. These moderates don't have anything against if you do your homework or learn on Sunday, because repetition helps you learn. They also have nothing against people who work at a job during Sunday or holidays. When I asked them why you shouldn't do certain chores, they responded: "Because you need to relax.". I agree that we all need a break from time to time, but why such a big break on Sunday every time?
Some of them also insist that you shouldn't eat anything, before you eat the cracker at the Eucharist. Why? Do they think that God, the creator of the Universe would create such a stupid ritual to give you luck and would care if you ate something or not before? If they're doing it for social reasons only, why bother not to eat before? People are not going to look through your stomach. Are they afraid that someone might ask them if they ate and they don't want to lie? Finally, the moderates that I know insist with this rule, tell me that they have religion just for comfort. Why does this give them comfort? If they're imagining that a God protects them, why even bother with certain rituals that nobody cares about? Do they like the game monkey see, monkey do so much that they'll do it when it's completely unnecessary?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Why are some moderates insistent on religious rituals?
It's because religion is just silly Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(February 3, 2019 at 5:55 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: I understand why some moderates insist on baptism, religious wedding and funerals. I disagree with them, but I understand why they want those things so bad.
However, what I do not understand is if a moderate insist that you shouldn't clean the house or do the laundry on Sunday, even if they claim that God won't punish you. These moderates don't have anything against if you do your homework or learn on Sunday, because repetition helps you learn. They also have nothing against people who work at a job during Sunday or holidays. When I asked them why you shouldn't do certain chores, they responded: "Because you need to relax.". I agree that we all need a break from time to time, but why such a big break on Sunday every time?
Some of them also insist that you shouldn't eat anything, before you eat the cracker at the Eucharist. Why? Do they think that God, the creator of the Universe would create such a stupid ritual to give you luck and would care if you ate something or not before? If they're doing it for social reasons only, why bother not to eat before? People are not going to look through your stomach. Are they afraid that someone might ask them if they ate and they don't want to lie? Finally, the moderates that I know insist with this rule, tell me that they have religion just for comfort. Why does this give them comfort? If they're imagining that a God protects them, why even bother with certain rituals that nobody cares about? Do they like the game monkey see, monkey do so much that they'll do it when it's completely unnecessary?

What brand of Christianity are you referring too, that demands nothing be eaten before the Eucharist, and nothing all be done on Sunday?
Sabbath is Saturday, Sunday is Lord’s day. Fasting is physical preparation for spiritual gain. I’m not aware of any western denominational doctrine regarding no work on Sunday.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(February 3, 2019 at 8:34 am)Acrobat Wrote:
(February 3, 2019 at 5:55 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: I understand why some moderates insist on baptism, religious wedding and funerals. I disagree with them, but I understand why they want those things so bad.

What brand of Christianity are you referring too, that demands nothing be eaten before the  Eucharist, and nothing all be done on Sunday?

Both Catholicism and Orthodoxism.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
(February 3, 2019 at 8:34 am)Acrobat Wrote:
(February 3, 2019 at 5:55 am)Der/die AtheistIn Wrote: I understand why some moderates insist on baptism, religious wedding and funerals. I disagree with them, but I understand why they want those things so bad.

What brand of Christianity are you referring too, that demands nothing be eaten before the  Eucharist, and nothing all be done on Sunday?
Catholicism used to be very strict on those. People were punished for working on sunday quite severly.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Sheep are easily wrangled. The mindless livestock ramble aimlessly in search of magic brownie points.
(February 3, 2019 at 10:16 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(February 3, 2019 at 8:34 am)Acrobat Wrote: What brand of Christianity are you referring too, that demands nothing be eaten before the  Eucharist, and nothing all be done on Sunday?
Catholicism used to be very strict on those. People were punished for working on sunday quite severly.

Where do you find this flavor of Catholics?

I grew up surrounded by Catholics in an area that was well over 90% Catholic.

We weren't supposed to eat before mass (and communion) on Sundays but I was never sure how that translated when Saturday night mass in place of Sunday morning was implemented.  If there was a memo as to how long we were to go without food prior to mass, I missed it.

As for no work on Sunday...I grew up in a farming area.  You can be sure there was work done on Sundays.  The livestock apparently weren't Catholic and someone had to feed and check on them.  

And you can bet your ass that preparation of a meal for a Catholic-sized farm family required work.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

This is classic. You're all up in other people's business about things that you imagine that they do and you don't approve of what you imagine about them one single bit. You're sitting around literally imagining reasons to be offended with people. You need a hobby or something.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(February 3, 2019 at 10:59 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(February 3, 2019 at 10:16 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Catholicism used to be very strict on those. People were punished for working on sunday quite severly.

Where do you find this flavor of Catholics?

I grew up surrounded by Catholics in an area that was well over 90% Catholic.

We weren't supposed to eat before mass (and communion) on Sundays but I was never sure how that translated when Saturday night mass in place of Sunday morning was implemented.  If there was a memo as to how long we were to go without food prior to mass, I missed it.

As for no work on Sunday...I grew up in a farming area.  You can be sure there was work done on Sundays.  The livestock apparently weren't Catholic and someone had to feed and check on them.  

And you can bet your ass that preparation of a meal for a Catholic-sized farm family required work.

^^^Exactly this.  I recall one of my brothers objecting to farm work on a Sunday and our father very patiently explaining to him that 1) God would understand the necessity; 2) Working the farm was what fed us; and 3) If Mikey didn't give over the goldbricking, he'd be taking his next meal through a tube.

Da had a great gift for putting things into perspective.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do moderates think Jesus died for? Der/die AtheistIn 119 10928 January 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Acrobat
  Moderates make me feel happy Der/die AtheistIn 9 1984 December 10, 2017 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Why is religion so repugnant to some people strawdawg 87 14445 January 13, 2015 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Why are some people too ugly for god? Brakeman 42 14005 December 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: Brakeman
  Bible has some shocking 'family values' - Finally, Some Sensible Writing Forsaken 24 10366 January 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why do some Christians feel the need to lie? reverendjeremiah 15 8076 January 2, 2012 at 4:22 am
Last Post: Aegrus