Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two audio books for Christians (and, everyone else)
Two audio books for Christians (and, everyone else)
These are fantastic and cheap to buy; every Christian (and, everyone else) should listen to them:

The Theory of Evolution: A History of Controversy

It's from "The Great Courses" series; great overview of evolution, its universal scientific acceptance over time, and ultimately, the early success of religious Christian conservatives in suppressing its teaching in high schools and, eventually, its ultimate come-back.

Dot, Dot, Dot: Infinity Plus God Equals Folly

Everyone in this forum (except, perhaps, PolyMath) needs to read and/or listen to this audiobook.  It will help expunge the Aristotelian thinking from many on this forum; I learned a ton and am no expert.  The concept of "infinity" in mathematics and physics is simply different and technical.  I was taught naive set theory while in college (e.g., "an infinite set is one that is not finite"), but elementary number theory goes WAY (pardon the pun) beyond that, and again, I am no expert, and this book was, for me, an eye-opener.
RE: Two audio books for Christians (and, everyone else)
Ah yes "If only they read up on it" --why didn't I think of that? Some time ago on some other forum some Christian was writing how evolution is false with clearly no knowledge of what evolution is, so I suggested that he at least reads a book about it to learn what it is and then perhaps criticize it, and I suggested "Why Evolution Is True" by Jerry Coyne and his response was that Jerry Coyne is retarded.

So to them it's on a psychological level. They should rather talk to a shrink because they have been sort of hypnotized into being fearful towards it.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Yeah, once upon a time, I was brainwashed, too. Professor Coyne's book is on Audible, something that I was not aware of! And, so, thanks for your suggestion!!
The problem is that Christians are taught to avoid those of another persuasion and avoid the exchange of ideas through dialogue. Remember, for them to have other ideas that are outside of Bible is to be punished with Hell and ideas that are outside of the Bible can only be wrong and are possessed by those with less than honorable motives.

Christian beliefs are not to be questioned or doubted and dogmatic sentiments are clearly evident in such verses as Romans 16:17-18, "I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who created dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by fair and flattering words they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded." By "simple minded" one can only assume Paul is referring to his own followers, and who is in a better position to know?

Similar verses are 2 Timothy 2:16-17, "Avoid such godless chatter, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness, and their talk will eat its way like gangrene";

1 Timothy 6:20, "O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and the oppositions of science falsely so called";

1 Timothy 6:3-5, "If any one teaches otherwise and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching which accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit, he knows nothing; he has a morbid craving for controversy and for disputes about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, base suspicions, and wrangling among men";

But of course some Christians in order to accept ideas that are outside the Bible simply proclaimed that they are in accordance with the Bible, like some Croatians do with evolution and big band and modern medicine and few other things.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talking animal books LinuxGal 2 479 October 16, 2023 at 8:20 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  The Two-Source Hypthothesis LinuxGal 2 324 September 4, 2023 at 9:11 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4202 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Two verses on hell from the bible purplepurpose 7 608 June 15, 2023 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2094 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Best books debunking Christianity KiwiNFLFan 83 14683 January 16, 2020 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7585 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two wrongs make a right Graufreud 19 1718 July 21, 2018 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Does everyone else feel dizzy from the lights in Church? Der/die AtheistIn 15 2353 December 11, 2017 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  For Christians (or anyone else) who deny Darwinian evolution. Jehanne 334 42980 November 6, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama