Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A conversation with a friend.
A conversation with a friend.
I had a friend tell me that she admires how I have a Great sense of curiosity and how I question things.

Honestly I've always prized my love of critical thinking, reasoning, and questioning. This is why religion and I don't align: Religion (at least Christianity and Islam) teaches you to believe without questioning, even in the face of no evidence or opposing evidence.

I really appreciated that.
RE: A conversation with a friend.
Don't just teach your children to read. Teach them to question what they read.... Teach them to question everything.

George Carlin
OLB, though I agree with you in theory, please teach them the difference between questioning everything and "talking back." It's a line that Grandchildperson does NOT recognize. EVERYTHING'S an argument.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
(January 19, 2019 at 5:17 pm)Alternatehistory95 Wrote: Religion (at least Christianity and Islam) teaches you to believe without questioning, even in the face of no evidence or opposing evidence.

There are two assertions here which I think we can question.

First, is it true that Christians are all taught to believe without questioning? Among Christian literature, questioning and doubting is seen as an essential part of faith. How one deals with doubt -- how one grapples with the inevitable weakness of faith -- is an important part of one's thought processes. Of course, there are always unthinking people in any large scale movement, but that doesn't mean that non-thinking is encouraged. 

Second, is it true that Christians see no evidence for their beliefs? While you may have a different set of rules for what constitutes good evidence, this doesn't mean that, in their terms, they see none.
^ correct. Not all "personal" evidence needs to be of a scientific nature...

(Whateverist will be so proud of me! Big Grin)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I'm not sure it takes a great mind to question religion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I believe it's this sense of curiosity that leads most of us away from religion by, ironically, leading us to learn more about it. The closer I got to really understanding Christianity, the less I wanted to be associated with it. It's been said many times before, in different variations, that there's no better way to become an atheist than by reading the Bible. It must be something that is either naturally in you or it isn't. It's always surprising to me when people just accept certain things without question. How is everyone not fascinated by the fact that we're on a spinning sphere-like object in space, hurdling around a huge fiery ball of gas? To me, that should be astounding to everyone, but too many people's reactions to that fact are just, "Yeah, so?"

I presume many religious people are not all that curious. It's an itch they simply don't feel the need to scratch.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
My friend called me a cunt.
I called him one in return.
We proceeded to have a beer.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
At work.

(January 21, 2019 at 8:20 pm)Mr.Obvious Wrote: My friend called me a cunt.
I called him one in return.
We proceeded to have a beer.

Big Grin

Pretty much sums up most days at work between m'self and colleagues.

With the liberal sprinkling of other, fine Australian vernaculars such as 'F@ck' in all its guises. 'Bludger'. '@sshole'. 'W@nker'. The list does go on.

Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Conversation ShirkahnW 4 958 March 11, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How not to start a conversation with a skeptic...I think Astonished 43 8703 February 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine. TanithDaUnicorn 39 5876 February 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  My dying best friend Mudhammam 22 4767 March 11, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  is there such thing as a perfect friend? leodeo 21 4658 February 26, 2014 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Marvin
Exclamation Friend turned to religion in bad way, please help. freeman552 19 5977 June 30, 2013 at 1:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  I think i offended my friend when i asked about her beliefs ASEANAtheist 2 2251 October 25, 2012 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Kane
  Annoying conversation.. "But you're such a good person!" torashl 38 15851 June 29, 2012 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguing with friend on whether we're cult-like Lauren 39 14078 August 8, 2011 at 9:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Awesome... just discovered I have a religious friend Loki_999 12 4041 June 10, 2010 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: cocoanut