Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-discrimination for atheists
Non-discrimination for atheists
Portland Considers Protection Against Discrimination For Atheists, Agnostics

Gee, I thought they'd never ask...

Other coverage:

https://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/41...-protected

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown...rtland-law
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
RE: Non-discrimination for atheists
New Zealanders seem to have solve the problem of religious discrimination by not caring about it very much.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I thought those commandment things already covered this.
(February 13, 2019 at 6:03 pm)no one Wrote: I thought those commandment things already covered this.

Those don't apply to non-believers.
-- 
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
(February 13, 2019 at 6:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: New Zealanders seem to have solve the problem of religious discrimination by not caring about it very much.

Boru

Jews, Christians and Muslims seem to have a harder time with pluralism in their respective majority countries. 

At  best, depending, everyone is happy with outsiders if the outsider knows they are really just a guest.

I've even heard liberal Israeli Jews argue, "We allow non Jews in our government."..... Yea ok, when was the last non Jew to be your Prime Minister?

But this worldwide, and has been in every nation and every religion for the most part.

Liberals I love, they represent the empathy in humanity. But how likely is it for a Muslim to end up PM of India? Or a Jew to end up PM of Tibet? 

As likely as an atheist to be President of the United States.

I will give credit to the west, well, not so much recently because it seems Europe and England and America have been pulling back to the right too much. But, at least in the west, as imperfectly as we try, pluralism is still far better protected than other parts of the world.

I would say, I do envy New Zealand and Australia and Canada as far as not being fundy. But right now in America, our right wing seems to be masturbating over the prospect of turning back the clock.
(February 13, 2019 at 6:24 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(February 13, 2019 at 6:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: New Zealanders seem to have solve the problem of religious discrimination by not caring about it very much.

Boru

I would say, I do envy New Zealand and Australia and Canada as far as not being fundy. But right now in America, our right wing seems to be masturbating over the prospect of turning back the clock.

You do realize that Australia the expert authority on harassing immigrants, right? Seriously. We learn from them on how to make immigration miserable for asylum seekers. The far right in the EU learns from Australia.

Here you go:

https://www.thenation.com/article/austra...eu-beyond/
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
We used to water cannon boats carrying cubans and inter them at gitmo.  Kind of a pilot version of the thing they have going over in australia, lol.  Eventually, people noticed that we were drowning refugees and sending survivors back so the clinton admin struck a deal with cuba..not long after that we needed the space in gitmo for..um..other reasons.

Obviously not an issue of discrimination when it comes to religion (or the lack thereof)..but..notably, we didn't even have to pretend that they were dangerous murdering thugs or terrorists. No particular rationale was required whatsoever, and wet foot dry foot made the thing pretty much luck of the draw. It's just something that we did.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 13, 2019 at 6:00 pm)Dr H Wrote: Portland Considers Protection Against Discrimination For Atheists, Agnostics

Other coverage:

glob...

discrimination from what? walking though a store with Christmas decorations?!?!

seeing fish on a fast food menu?

someone saying god bless when you sneeze?
(February 14, 2019 at 1:40 pm)Drich Wrote:
(February 13, 2019 at 6:00 pm)Dr H Wrote: Portland Considers Protection Against Discrimination For Atheists, Agnostics

Other coverage:

glob...

From being barred from office. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimina...t_atheists

Arkansas

Article 19, Section 1
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[102]

Maryland

Article 37
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution."[103]

Mississippi

Article 14, Section 265
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[104]

North Carolina

Article 6, Section 8
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[105]

South Carolina

Article 17, Section 4
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[106]

Tennessee

Article 9, Section 2
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[107]

Texas

Article 1, Section 4
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Be

There is much much more but you wont believe it anyway.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 14, 2019 at 2:10 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(February 14, 2019 at 1:40 pm)Drich Wrote: glob...

From being barred from office. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimina...t_atheists

Arkansas

Article 19, Section 1
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."[102]

Maryland

Article 37
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution."[103]

Mississippi

Article 14, Section 265
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."[104]

North Carolina

Article 6, Section 8
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."[105]

South Carolina

Article 17, Section 4
"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."[106]

Tennessee

Article 9, Section 2
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."[107]

Texas

Article 1, Section 4
"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Be

There is much much more but you wont believe it anyway.

`.... Banging Head On Desk

How does the OP's artical start???

It says PORTLAND Considers....

Now you ignorant slut... what do all the places you listed have in common? PORTLAND IS NOT LOCATED IN THOSE STATES!!!

so rest the little jack in a box you call a brain and try again.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Last Non-winter onlinebiker 110 4344 April 6, 2020 at 4:12 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 744 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Non-religious countries experience greater economic growth Foxaèr 1 320 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A non-scientist has been appointed head of NASA. c172 7 1098 April 23, 2018 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  German non-Muslim runs over a crowed, killing 3 WinterHold 28 4118 April 9, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Aziz Ansari Doesn't Pick Up On "Non-Verbal Cues" and Gets Treated Like A Rapist Shell B 880 93393 January 22, 2018 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Irish just went full retard - Legalizing gender discrimination ErGingerbreadMandude 154 12725 January 19, 2017 at 12:54 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Belfast bakers lose "gay cake" discrimination appeal Cyberman 72 6652 October 25, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Orlando shooting/The non gun debate Drich 285 34928 June 28, 2016 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Fiction or non fiction? ignoramus 19 1629 February 22, 2016 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus