Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile WiFi "hotspots"? Opinions?
Mobile WiFi "hotspots"? Opinions?
I live in an urban area, so access to AT&T's WiFi network is a given. I'm considering getting a mobile hotspot device, but I'm not sure how often I'd use it. Anybody want to share experience(s) with this?
RE: Mobile WiFi "hotspots"? Opinions?
(February 16, 2019 at 8:53 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I live in an urban area, so access to AT&T's WiFi network is a given. I'm considering getting a mobile hotspot device, but I'm not sure how often I'd use it. Anybody want to share experience(s) with this?

I only ever use the hotspot on my phone if I need to log into work network on my laptop when I am out in the middle of nowhere. Happens maybe once every few month.
(February 16, 2019 at 8:53 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I live in an urban area, so access to AT&T's WiFi network is a given. I'm considering getting a mobile hotspot device, but I'm not sure how often I'd use it. Anybody want to share experience(s) with this?

My plan is an unlimited data plan, so I use my phone as a hotspot for my kids extensively, (if we are away from the home wifi)

I have regularly exceeded the "fair usage" limits with no penalty. Signal blackspots are the only thing that seems to bork it.
The cellular Internet network (powered here by the Croatian T-COM ISP) appears to be faster on weekends, and generally more reliable, than the Internet connection provided by the Croatian Crisis Connection ISP.
The T-COM ISP, though, offers only limited bandwidth, if I pass the limit of 2000 MB, I need to pay 50 cents per every additional MB.
That has never happened to me, and I often use it. Especially on the weekends. On the Croatian Crisis Connection ISP, during the weekends, you are happy if you get a connection to the Internet (not a "connection timed out" or "server not found" to any website you try to connect to) at all, and you never get the promised 8 mbps speed. The T-COM ISP promises only 1.5 mbps, yet, during the weekends, it's usually significantly faster than the Crisis Connection ISP. 1.5 mbps appears to be good enough for everything except watching YouTube videos. You can only watch YouTube videos in the 144px quality, and quite a few YouTube videos don't offer that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1893 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How Do I Send an SMS message From UK mobile to a US one ReptilianPeon 11 1782 July 9, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017 account_inactive 15 1883 February 27, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  T-Mobile Tuesdays (Free Stuff + T-Mobile Share) Tiberius 1 941 June 10, 2016 at 5:59 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  A good mobile phone for me? ReptilianPeon 27 5043 March 28, 2016 at 7:25 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How To Get A Mobile Signal? Edwardo Piet 12 2527 March 8, 2016 at 9:09 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Google's Mobile-Friendly Test Driving Me Batty: What am I Doing Wrong? Rhondazvous 10 2816 August 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.) Rhondazvous 26 4287 July 24, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Useful Mobile Apps BrokenQuill92 24 4157 February 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen