Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Send an SMS message From UK mobile to a US one
How Do I Send an SMS message From UK mobile to a US one
Hi,

Having some trouble. I have tried looking this up but I can only seem to find the reverse (US to UK). I can't seem to add the correct number format into my contacts. I know the country code for the United States is 1. Has anyone tried this before? Any special information do I need from the person sending me their number?

ReptilianPeon

RE: How Do I Send an SMS message From UK mobile to a US one
Quote:Sending a text message internationally works the same way as dialing a voice call. This website provides all the necessary information. Try a phone code search hereAlternatively, you can use the plus sign instead of your country's exit/IDD code. For example, in order to text from Europe to the US you can either use 00 1 or +1 followed by the 10 digit US cell number. In fact, some of our website's users have reported that texting internationally only works when using the plus sign.

Why can't I send a text message - I followed all your instructions

There have been numerous reports of texting between countries not working, especially when trying to send a message between the USA and Europe. Generally, the reason for this is an incompatibility between the two wireless carriers. Namely, most wireless carriers in Europe and around the world use GSM technology while the big carriers in North America use CDMA. Messaging platforms are different for GSM and CDMA and, although texting is commonly used and working between the two types of networks, often cellular subscribers encounter problems texting internationally. If you followed the instructions on this website and your text message didn't go through call your wireless carrier to inquire about this issue.

https://www.howtocallabroad.com/qa/texting.html
(July 8, 2018 at 3:57 pm)ReptilianPeon Wrote: Hi,

Having some trouble. I have tried looking this up but I can only seem to find the reverse (US to UK). I can't seem to add the correct number format into my contacts. I know the country code for the United States is 1. Has anyone tried this before? Any special information do I need from the person sending me their number?

ReptilianPeon

With the number you're sending to, drop the 0 at the start and in its place put 001. That should work.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
I see. I'll review the information tomorrow and maybe I may need to download something like Whattsapp. You seem to have provided some useful tidbits. If anyone has anymore thoughts on the matter I'd love to hear them.

You need to put 001 then the mobile number (EU has a special USA code)

Sorry you wanted USA to UK

First dial 011, the U.S. exit code.

Next dial 44, the country code for the U.K.

The the mobile number (omitting the first 0 )
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
Really really big semaphore flags from the top of Big Ben.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Might it be possible to send the text via email.
The only down side, is that reply’s would go to your email, rather than text app.

https://20somethingfinance.com/how-to-se...-for-free/
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(July 8, 2018 at 7:01 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Really really big semaphore flags from the top of Big Ben.

Clacks Towers.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 8, 2018 at 6:34 pm)possibletarian Wrote: You need to put 001 then the mobile number (EU has a special USA code)

Found that out the hard way. Almost everywhere the code is 001, in the US it is oddly 011. Why? No idea, I could probably look up the history, but lack motivation

On top of that the service provider could have international texts blocked. I have happened upon such before. Bit odd, but there you go. Depends on the plan you are on, I guess. Being European, these things do not apply to me. AFAIK, with most european providers this is an option to which you can opt in if you want to block access to international texts, Far as I can tell, it is plan dependant in the US.

To give that some meat, my current plan allows me unlimited calls, texts and data. The calls are restricted to a country list, I grant. Text and Data is not limited at all.

As usual, there is a fair usage clause. Over 20 GB of data per month would be a breach. I have been as high as 50GB per month and no charge. So how much does that facility cost me? Roughly €40 a month. (I say roughly, my US calls are out of contract)
(July 8, 2018 at 9:25 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(July 8, 2018 at 6:34 pm)possibletarian Wrote: You need to put 001 then the mobile number (EU has a special USA code)

Found that out the hard way. Almost everywhere the code is 001, in the US it is oddly 011. Why? No idea, I could probably look up the history, but lack motivation

On top of that the service provider could have international texts blocked. I have happened upon such before. Bit odd, but there you go. Depends on the plan you are on, I guess. Being European, these things do not apply to me. AFAIK, with most european providers this is an option to which you can opt in if you want to block access to international texts, Far as I can tell, it is plan dependant in the US.

To give that some meat, my current plan allows me unlimited calls, texts and data. The calls are restricted to a country list, I grant. Text and Data is not limited at all.

As usual, there is a fair usage clause. Over 20 GB of data per month would be a breach. I have been as high as 50GB per month and no charge. So how much does that facility cost me? Roughly €40 a month. (I say roughly, my US calls are out of contract)

I tend to use whatsapp as my messaging service, it free if connected to wi-fi, and uses little data if not.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the most absurd error message a program you have made was outputting? FlatAssembler 38 3835 June 14, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Custom error message for stack overflow in C++ FlatAssembler 60 7142 November 21, 2021 at 6:17 am
  Mobile WiFi "hotspots"? Opinions? Gawdzilla Sama 3 342 February 18, 2019 at 1:22 pm
  Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017 account_inactive 15 1880 February 27, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  T-Mobile Tuesdays (Free Stuff + T-Mobile Share) Tiberius 1 939 June 10, 2016 at 5:59 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  A good mobile phone for me? ReptilianPeon 27 5042 March 28, 2016 at 7:25 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How To Get A Mobile Signal? Edwardo Piet 12 2526 March 8, 2016 at 9:09 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Google's Mobile-Friendly Test Driving Me Batty: What am I Doing Wrong? Rhondazvous 10 2816 August 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Longhorn
  Question for Those of You Wwho Use Mobile Web Devices (iPhones, Smart Phones, etc.) Rhondazvous 26 4285 July 24, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Useful Mobile Apps BrokenQuill92 24 4154 February 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen