Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spiritual but not religious
spiritual but not religious
Greetings! 

I grew up Christian and was turned off by the dogma in my fundamentalist church, however I was left wanting to believe in some form of divine being because this was a major part of my upbringing and shaped my early experience with the world. Later I became interested in Buddhism because of its ties to spirituality without directly affirming an existence of god. 

Is it possible to be spiritual but not religious, and if so could someone still be considered an atheist?
RE: spiritual but not religious
(March 29, 2019 at 5:23 pm)yogamaster Wrote: Greetings! 

I grew up Christian and was turned off by the dogma in my fundamentalist church, however I was left wanting to believe in some form of divine being because this was a major part of my upbringing and shaped my early experience with the world. Later I became interested in Buddhism because of its ties to spirituality without directly affirming an existence of god. 

Is it possible to be spiritual but not religious, and if so could someone still be considered an atheist?

Welcome to the Forum, and of course it's possible to be spiritual but not religious.  Spirituality is simply concern for the human spirit (defined in its widest possible sense) and doesn't require belief in gods.

Enjoy your time here!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I never refer to anything I think or feel as spiritual but some atheists do.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Spiritual not religious is just a conceit claiming one to be in possession of a superior grade of woo.........

Not in my book, but that may be because I hear spiritual used by the religious when they want to hide that they're talking about religion.

And Welcome Woof.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possible? Yes.

------and be taken seriously by atheists? Not by this atheist. I can't speak for others.

Reasoning; I don't believe in gods due to lack of proof.

I also do not believe in the soul, the devil, angels, demons, the after life, the paranormal, fortune telling, trolls, dragons   and fairies at the bottom of my garden for the same reason------ that all comes under the general heading of 'woo'-
Welcome to AF Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well

It depends on which sect of atheism you expect to join. There's Militant, Orthodox, and Reform.

Militant-- Religion is the root of all evil. Religion must be destroyed. There will one day be a golden age in which no one will be religious and there will apparently be peace on earth. Spirituality is the gawddam devil.

Orthodox-- There is no deity or deities, and spirituality is woo.

Reform-- All are welcome. Even theists.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(March 29, 2019 at 5:23 pm)yogamaster Wrote: Is it possible to be spiritual but not religious, 

Yes, why not!?

It's a bit fuzzy definition-wise, but there are times in life when uncertainty is the right choice. Hurrying to label yourself one thing or another might only shut down your options. 

You can have the great pleasure of working out, in your own life, what form this spirituality takes. Through action, through love, through the arts, etc. There's a great richness to be had. 

Quote:and if so could someone still be considered an atheist?

If you want to be. But it's just a label.
(March 29, 2019 at 6:09 pm)Yonadav Wrote: It depends on which sect of atheism you expect to join. There's Militant, Orthodox, and Reform.

Militant-- Religion is the root of all evil. Religion must be destroyed. There will one day be a golden age in which no one will be religious and there will apparently be peace on earth. Spirituality is the gawddam devil.

Orthodox-- There is no deity or deities, and spirituality is woo.

Reform-- All are welcome. Even theists.

I see you've given up all pretence at being a genuine interlocutor!*

yogamaster, as you can see, thread topics can and often do splinter like protons in a hadron collider. For example: could you give me a coherent, consistent, falsifiable definition of the word 'spiritual'.

And welcome to the forums.

* That is the first time in my life I've typed out that word. I feel a new thread is in order.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not quite sure if I belong, but, hello Rayden_Greywolf 21 2540 November 4, 2017 at 8:20 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hi, I'm not new but here is another side to me. Whateverist 12 2277 May 2, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Not sure what to title this, but hello Frostion 25 3422 June 8, 2014 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  I am new to the forums, but not to wondering what the neighbors drank... ParCutz 35 6565 August 21, 2013 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ParCutz
Tongue I'm new but not unfamiliar. 957Chatterton 34 10866 November 22, 2012 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: 957Chatterton
  I'm new here, so you may not be aware of my legendary status, but you soon will be. Gambit 13 3476 April 30, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: frankiej
Smile Spiritual Atheist here! Child of Stardust 12 3296 March 11, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Spiritual Atheist Musings mhikl 12 2781 September 10, 2011 at 1:19 am
Last Post: BethK
  New here, but not a new Atheist mboss 12 4067 June 15, 2011 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Epimethean