Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iowa is not Chicago.......
Iowa is not Chicago.......
Yet a 25 year old woman was still shot and killed while driving home.

One thing about the quote in this article I always take issue with, is when people say "senseless". Um no, it makes perfect sense when you hand firearms out like candy things like this happen unfortunately.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/30/us/iowa-f...index.html
RE: Iowa is not Chicago.......
The first year I rode a bus to school, fifth grade, a kid opened fire on the bus to settle a grudge with another kid. His daddy had bought him a Luger for Xmas that year. First day back on the bus and one dead, two injured. I'm holding a first grader's arm to stop the bleeding and she's going insane. I got two black eyes of out that. Her father later scolded me for "scaring" her. I couldn't let her bleed out.
(April 30, 2019 at 9:52 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The first year I rode a bus to school, fifth grade, a kid opened fire on the bus to settle a grudge with another kid. His daddy had bought him a Luger for Xmas that year. First day back on the bus and one dead, two injured. I'm holding a first grader's arm to stop the bleeding and she's going insane. I got two black eyes of out that. Her father later scolded me for "scaring" her. I couldn't let her bleed out.

Holy shit, you never told me that. What year was that? My point for asking is, neither you or I are spring chickens. 

I really am sick of this bullshit fear peddling coming from the industry, and the NRA/NSSF and the GOP.

If everyone agrees they want less firearm violence, it all starts with the factories and shops at point of sale.
That was the year before Kennedy was killed.
(April 30, 2019 at 10:07 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: That was the year before Kennedy was killed.

That is my point. Back then something like you described was far less frequent. We don't live in a perfect world and firearms will  never be 100% banned. But we shouldn't have the attitude as a nation to assume that rights are as simple as "no record" at time of sale. We don't hand out pilot's licences to passenger airlines simply because someone wants to be a pilot. 

I am sure that daddy bought his legally, and the kid most likely wouldn't have had a criminal record.

I am so sick of the right thinking better vetting is a bad thing.
And no responsible gun owner shows a first grader how to operate a handgun and then leaves it out for him to find and take to school.
(April 30, 2019 at 11:18 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: And no responsible gun owner shows a first grader how to operate a handgun and then leaves it out for him to find and take to school.

Right, but this cuts to the easy access issue.

It is not enough at the point of sale to simply say "they have no record". 

Our allies like Australia and Japan, still allow firearm ownership. It is a lie to say they do not. They do. But what they do, that America does not, is insure whomever buys it, isn't going to get stupid after the buy.  And they are far quicker to take them away from people who do get stupid after the buy.

If someone is a responsible gun owner, and they do exist, then they should want the industry and shops to vet better, so that only responsible buyers have them.
The local guns shops in the town Mom lived in sold guns to the Y-donor long after they knew he had ALZ. He bought one in his underwear once. Took it home that day. "He's a known customer, no need to get redundant." I took a box of handguns and a duffel stuffed with long guns when he kicked it. The local stores had the brass to come by and ask Mom to "settle up his accounts." She referred them to me.
You don't know the difference between Austria and Australia.  Maybe Iowa IS Chicago...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's only about five feet away, certainly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inspired by Iowa, Georgian Theocrats Perform Statewide Bible Reading in County Seats Secular Elf 6 408 July 20, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Chicago this Weekend onlinebiker 44 2818 June 24, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant The Industrial Atheist 164 24112 May 20, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Iowa bill for bible class in public school brewer 20 3158 January 27, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The WLB Hitting The Skids In Iowa, Too. Minimalist 11 1036 December 15, 2017 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Chicago Man Accidentally Shoots Himself in the Weiner After Robbing a Hotdog Stand Rhondazvous 6 951 November 7, 2017 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  What is wrong in Chicago? brewer 15 1945 January 4, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Iowa Caucus and all the Repubs are preechurs drfuzzy 8 1718 February 4, 2016 at 9:03 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ben Carson challenged by atheist voter in Iowa Brian37 13 2653 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Exian