Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Thumbs Up 
Introduction
I am new to these forums and someone suggested that I introduce myself here.

I work as a Director of Information Technology with a Masters in Information Systems and an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering (lots of physics classes), working mostly in Education, both Higher Ed and K-12.  In college I took as many logic classes as electives as I could (three or four), later realizing that was a missing core subject that I believe should be added to all K-12 education.[url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/lowellballard][/url]

My wife and I have home educated our eight kids (two have graduated college and have careers, two currently in college and four are actively being home educated).  My personal interest is in figuring out how to train our kids well, finding and helping them avoid issues in how our society thinks and operates.  I am working on a new (informal) curriculum for our kids based on a systematic categorization of each of the areas of knowledge, focusing on the useful skills/careers first and then working backward to the supporting liberal arts skills.  When I am past the initial 30 day limit I will post the link to what I am working on.

I am a libertarian, supporting both full personal freedom and planning for a good society.  I think there are significant reforms needed in most all of our social institutions.

As part of our home education, we have visited many differing belief systems so that the kids would understand and not be afraid of people with different beliefs (a mosque, hindu temple, Mormon sites/church, Wicca, Scientology, etc..).  The outcome was an understanding that most of what is done in christian churches is the same methods/marketing used by other religions as well (because the methods work and fill a psychological need).

I joined this forum because I suspect the reasoning I use that rejects Christian rituals and mysticism may be similar to the reasoning many intellectual atheists use as well.  I know that in early Rome Christians were mistaken to be atheists, I think indicating a lack of ritual, etc...  In any case, I always seem to learn more from people with different beliefs.
RE: Introduction
Hello! Big Grin
Hi and welcome.

I'm The Valkyrie and my bribe level is negotiable.
Dying to live, living to die.
Welcome to AF, man!

I think I've read some of your posts, and you seemed like a thoughtful contributor. Glad to have you!
Welcome to AF
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW!
[Image: latest?cb=20100721025111]
Welcome Woof.

Curious, why did you choose to home school?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.
Did you bring the tacos? I was told you were bringing the tacos.
Welcome, fellow primate!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 727 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 963 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1947 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1362 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3943 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2258 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 1986 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1154 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 976 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2898 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2