Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco?
Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco?
It seems Pope's visit to Ireland is going pretty bad. Not only is the prime-minister gay but also one of the main news is that Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano is calling for Francis to step down because he told Pope Francis in 2013 about allegations of sexual abuse against a prominent priest, McCarrick — and that Francis took no action.

Quote:Vigano, who retired in 2016 at age 75, described an exchange with Francis on June 23, 2013, shortly after he became pope, about Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the former archbishop of Washington, D.C., who resigned last month over claims he sexually abused seminary students and an altar boy.

Vigano writes the pope did not respond to the statement, and McCarrick continued in his role as a public figure for the church.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-franci...ia-vigano/

Maybe they should just arrest the Pope while he's there and put him into a prison. I mean it would make more sense than giving him 5 million euros.

and also people in Ireland don't seem to be very involved into Pope's visit

[Image: 6nwAoNGS_o.jpg]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco?
I had a quick look at RTÉ's coverage of Bergoglio getting off the plane at Knock, they were talking about crowds out to meet him.

The "crowd" was about three school loads of national school children (elementary school for those not knowledgeable of the Irish system) in their school uniforms (on a Sunday!) and their parents and teachers. So the crowd was a setup of people most of whom were forced into going.

PS: Here's the crowd at the Phoenix Park for the mass:

[Image: IRISH%20Po%20618.jpg]

Considering that it's laid out for 500,000 people and all those going would have been there for a few hours, that looks very sparse to me. We're looking at about 100,000 people, and that's being generous.

Final Edit; Picture courtesy of this Irish Independent article. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/po...53579.html
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
He's an old pervert in a dress.  Fuck him.
I don't think Ireland has much use for the Catholic church any more.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(August 26, 2018 at 2:01 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I don't think Ireland has much use for the Catholic church any more.

You got that right. I was right there in 1979. This time there looks to have been about a third or less attending and a lot of those were simply there for the spectacle or sheer curiosity.

In 1979, I didn't know anyone who was NOT there. This time I don't know anyone who actually went.
Initial Garda figures, gotten from the number of tickets scanned, suggest 130,000 turned up. Given that large numbers of tickets were given to foreigners flown in at the church's expense, this is very embarrassing for the holy see.

Especially after the *gasp* gay Taoiseach openly telling Bergoglio that the state needs to divest the catholic privilege earlier in the day.

Home
Questions about the pic.

What the hell were the grids about? 

Are those beer tents that I see?

General question, how much money did Ireland loose?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 26, 2018 at 10:53 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Questions about the pic.

What the hell were the grids about? 
Ticket allocations. Your ticket states which grid square you should be in. Given the poor turnout, that was abandoned and people roamed freely.

(August 26, 2018 at 10:53 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Are those beer tents that I see?
I might have gone if they had been.

(August 26, 2018 at 10:53 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: General question, how much money did Ireland loose?
Haven't seen any estimates. A year ago, the estimate was 20M but that was a pure guess by the bishops. The only hard figure I have yet seen is 5M in cops overtime alone.
€39m in security, lost taxes for lower shopping footfall in Dublin, the shopkeepers are saying c. 30% down over the weekend, a few hundred thousand lost in waived public transport fees for attendees, clean up costs &c.

I asked the Cig* about it as he was up yesterday as a coordinator and he said the 130,000 figure was about right.

*Cig=Cigire=Inspector≈Police Lt.

Home
(August 26, 2018 at 10:49 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: It seems Pope's visit to Ireland is going pretty bad. Not only is the prime-minister gay but also one of the main news is that Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano is calling for Francis to step down because he told Pope Francis in 2013 about allegations of sexual abuse against a prominent priest, McCarrick — and that Francis took no action.

Quote:Vigano, who retired in 2016 at age 75, described an exchange with Francis on June 23, 2013, shortly after he became pope, about Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the former archbishop of Washington, D.C., who resigned last month over claims he sexually abused seminary students and an altar boy.

Vigano writes the pope did not respond to the statement, and McCarrick continued in his role as a public figure for the church.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-franci...ia-vigano/

Maybe they should just arrest the Pope while he's there and put him into a prison. I mean it would make more sense than giving him 5 million euros.

and also people in Ireland don't seem to be very involved into Pope's visit

[Image: 6nwAoNGS_o.jpg]

Absolutely incredible; I would have never guessed that it was this bad!  But, it's following the historical tend over the last few centuries; for instance, the dedication of Saint Patrick's Cathedral in New York City drew an overflow crowd to a Mass that was five hours long!  These days some priests will say a "golfer's mass" that gets people in and out within 20 minutes or less.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1322 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1301 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  No more “lead us not into temptation” Fake Messiah 22 2448 June 15, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Ex-Pope Benedict XVI blames 1960s revolution for sex abuse zebo-the-fat 27 3409 April 17, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why do cardinals get to elect the Pope? Fake Messiah 26 1348 March 13, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  A look into the mindset of an Evangelical Trumptard drfuzzy 10 1573 October 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2144 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Pope Francis condemns child sex abuse and Church cover-ups zebo-the-fat 23 3609 August 20, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Pope says in interview that there is no hell. downbeatplumb 56 9794 April 16, 2018 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Priest publicly wishes for Pope's quick death... c172 18 4830 March 22, 2018 at 1:10 am
Last Post: c172