Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Did Einstein Mean when He Said Space is Curved?
What Did Einstein Mean when He Said Space is Curved?
How does he define the word curved as he used it to describe space?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: What Did Einstein Mean when He Said Space is Curved?
The easiest effect of curvature to understand is that parallel rays of light can change their distance, like when two people start at the equator walking north in parallel, they will meet at the pole because the surface of the earh has curvature. The same can happen in space when it is curved. In flat space, parallel lines keep their distance.

The technical definition of curved he uses is that the Riemann curvature tensor is not zero.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

there are a couple of ideas to explore

at large distances it is conceivable the circumference of a given large circle may not be related accurately to it's diameter via the factor of pi

additionally, all masses distort space/time such that, for instance, in the case of our sun, we can compare a picture of stars in the vicinity of the sun, and then again months later when the sun has moved away from that patch, and we can notice distortions in the picture that adjust the measured positions of those stars. So space is curved literally everywhere, but it takes a massive object for us with our limited instruments to see the effect. Distant galaxies distort the images of more distant objects we see past them. If the geometry is correct, we can get a magnification effect of those distant objects of a factor of 10 to 20. A 'lens' if you will, in space.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Right over my head.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
One more along vorlon's lines: the angle sum in a triangle in general isn't 180 degrees anymore. How much it deviates from 180 is directly proportional to the amount of curvature enclosed in the triangle.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(June 5, 2017 at 10:06 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: How does he define the word curved as he used it to describe space?

He meant well known geometric principles known since Euclidean to be true for angles and lines inscribed on a flat plane would not hold true with physical representations of these lines and angles created on sufficiently large scale in space near sufficiently massivee objects.  Instead these physical lines and angles would behave as if they were inscribed on a curved surface.
I always thought he meant it was curved, like not straight. Guess I was wrong.
it's puffy in places
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It's only curved relatively.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(June 5, 2017 at 6:10 pm)ignoramus Wrote: It's only curved relatively.

I love spoiling jokes so ...

There is such an idea, namely that curvature can be only an artefact of how somrthing is embedded in space, e.g. a piece of paper can be rolled up in space in a curved fashion, but this curvature is not, as they say, "intrinsic", the paper is still intrinsically flat as parallel lines on a rolled up paper keep their distance. This curvature could be called relative. However, the concept of curvature used in Relativity is largely independent of how a space is embedded, and so is not really relative.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2240 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity Rhondazvous 14 2577 August 26, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Vince
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3164 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 508 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  No perfect circles in space... Jehanne 42 7207 July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch zebo-the-fat 47 6953 June 22, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  The Einstein is practical, but not theoretical? robinhood 20 2612 April 17, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Joods
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9906 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1732 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  POLL: Is Space Continuous or Discrete? Severan 4 1853 July 14, 2017 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Iroscato