Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Sovereign Citizens.' Seriously?
'Sovereign Citizens.' Seriously?
Ellen and I were at lunch yesterday when I saw my first sovereign citizen in his native habitat.

The place was nothing fancy, just convenient - one of those pay-as-you-get-it places, about midway between the house and her shop.  We're just about finishing up when this bloke walks himself up to the counter and orders something.  The clerk rings him and says '$12.42' (or whatever it was).  He says, and I shit thee not, 'Oh, I don't have to pay - I'm a freeman on the land, and don't recognize for-profit corporations.'  The poor kid at the counter looked a bit lost and explains that policy is for him to pay before he gets his food.  The guy instantly demands to see the manager, who comes out and tries to tell this waterhead how things work, and the bloke starts going off on a rant about how common law is the only law and he owns whatever land he happens to be standing on at the moment and threatens to have the entire staff and all the customers arrested for trespassing.  The manager asks him to leave several times [all during this, Ellen is wanting to leave, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world], and the guy keeps saying the same stuff over and over about his sovereign rights and his ownership, blah blah blah.

As you might expect, the police are called (by this time, sovereign boy has refused multiple invitations to vacate the premises and has seated himself at a table).  The cops get there, and this dimwit gives them the same ration of nonsense he's been spewing for about twenty minutes.  The Biggest Cop You've Ever Seen In Your Life calmly tells the man that, since the manager has asked him to leave, he's got 30 seconds to leave the café or he WILL be arrested for criminal trespass.  The genius uses his 30 seconds to lecture the cop on the meaning of 'trespass', 'property' and...I guess we'll never know, because at this point, the cop bodily picked him up and half-walked, half-dragged him out the door.  The last thing I heard before the door close behind them was something having to do with 'an illegal forced kidnapping'.

So, I took it upon myself to do a bit of research on the whole 'sovereign citizen' thing and found out that these people are uniformly stupid and uninformed about the laws.  They don't seem to recognize any laws but the ones that suit them at the moment (they seem particularly vexed about driving and tax laws).  They imagine that they have immunity from any civil or criminal charges, from traffic violations to murder for hire, they claim that the police are frauds and have no power to issue citations or effect arrests.  When they are arrested, it is a 'kidnapping'.  They seem to take great delight in giving cops a hard time (always a bad idea) and refusing to identify themselves. Also, I have been unable to find a single instance in NZ, the UK or the US were a 'sovereign citizen' defense was successful in court.

So, why do they do it?  Are they delusional attention whores? 

Anyone else ever had an encounter with one of these douchenozzles?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: 'Sovereign Citizens.' Seriously?
(August 20, 2019 at 4:44 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Ellen and I were at lunch yesterday when I saw my first sovereign citizen in his native habitat.

The place was nothing fancy, just convenient - one of those pay-as-you-get-it places, about midway between the house and her shop.  We're just about finishing up when this bloke walks himself up to the counter and orders something.  The clerk rings him and says '$12.42' (or whatever it was).  He says, and I shit thee not, 'Oh, I don't have to pay - I'm a freeman on the land, and don't recognize for-profit corporations.'  The poor kid at the counter looked a bit lost and explains that policy is for him to pay before he gets his food.  The guy instantly demands to see the manager, who comes out and tries to tell this waterhead how things work, and the bloke starts going off on a rant about how common law is the only law and he owns whatever land he happens to be standing on at the moment and threatens to have the entire staff and all the customers arrested for trespassing.  The manager asks him to leave several times [all during this, Ellen is wanting to leave, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world], and the guy keeps saying the same stuff over and over about his sovereign rights and his ownership, blah blah blah.

As you might expect, the police are called (by this time, sovereign boy has refused multiple invitations to vacate the premises and has seated himself at a table).  The cops get there, and this dimwit gives them the same ration of nonsense he's been spewing for about twenty minutes.  The Biggest Cop You've Ever Seen In Your Life calmly tells the man that, since the manager has asked him to leave, he's got 30 seconds to leave the café or he WILL be arrested for criminal trespass.  The genius uses his 30 seconds to lecture the cop on the meaning of 'trespass', 'property' and...I guess we'll never know, because at this point, the cop bodily picked him up and half-walked, half-dragged him out the door.  The last thing I heard before the door close behind them was something having to do with 'an illegal forced kidnapping'.

So, I took it upon myself to do a bit of research on the whole 'sovereign citizen' thing and found out that these people are uniformly stupid and uninformed about the laws.  They don't seem to recognize any laws but the ones that suit them at the moment (they seem particularly vexed about driving and tax laws).  They imagine that they have immunity from any civil or criminal charges, from traffic violations to murder for hire, they claim that the police are frauds and have no power to issue citations or effect arrests.  When they are arrested, it is a 'kidnapping'.  They seem to take great delight in giving cops a hard time (always a bad idea) and refusing to identify themselves. Also, I have been unable to find a single instance in NZ, the UK or the US were a 'sovereign citizen' defense was successful in court.

So, why do they do it?  Are they delusional attention whores? 

Anyone else ever had an encounter with one of these douchenozzles?

Boru

yup.. In the early 90s.. Associated with the militia movement.

Calling them loonies isn't right.

Flaming nutbag whackadoodles is far more accurate.
When I first started reading this post I immediately associated it with something to do with the Treaty of Waitsngi and someone not recognising the laws of the land and Maori sovereinty, etc., etc...

I didn’t realise this is international idiocy.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 20, 2019 at 5:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: When I first started reading this post I immediately associated it with something to do with the Treaty of Waitsngi and someone not recognising the laws of the land and Maori sovereinty, etc., etc...

Nah, it seems to be cross-cultural idiocy by people who attend YouTube University Law School.

Honestly.  You get pulled over for a broken taillight, and your first reaction is to refuse to identify yourself and demand that the police let you go?  YouTube is packed with videos demonstrating that this tactic works about as well as you think.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 20, 2019 at 5:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 20, 2019 at 5:20 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: When I first started reading this post I immediately associated it with something to do with the Treaty of Waitsngi and someone not recognising the laws of the land and Maori sovereinty, etc., etc...

Nah, it seems to be cross-cultural idiocy by people who attend YouTube University Law School.

Honestly.  You get pulled over for a broken taillight, and your first reaction is to refuse to identify yourself and demand that the police let you go?  YouTube is packed with videos demonstrating that this tactic works about as well as you think.

Boru

Timothy McVeigh was one. It' s part of the reason he got caught so quickly.

No license plate on his car.

Real genius that one.

Good thing we used the chlorine in the gene pool on that whackjob.....
Note that he wanted the things the corporation produced, but didn't recognize the corporation as even existing.
Further research has shown that a lot of SCs in the US take their interpretation of the law from Black's Law Dictionary.  All well and good as far as it goes.  But they all seem to only use the second edition, which was published in 1910. 

Boru
Well, first time I have ever heard of this. Facepalm
(August 21, 2019 at 6:49 am)LastPoet Wrote: Well, first time I have ever heard of this. Facepalm

What planet did you leave to come here?

Tongue
(August 21, 2019 at 8:18 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(August 21, 2019 at 6:49 am)LastPoet Wrote: Well, first time I have ever heard of this. Facepalm

What planet did you leave to come here?

Tongue

Melmac

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UBI & Citizens Wage FrustratedFool 8 936 September 14, 2023 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Sovereign citizen - more Loony Tunes in the USA Ferrocyanide 20 1991 March 20, 2023 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  As Economy Crashes, Democracts Finally Start To Take Impeactment Seriously. ReptilianPeon 28 1889 September 22, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  [Serious] Arrested Citizens Being Tortured In Saudi Arabia WinterHold 0 348 February 21, 2019 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Campaign ad: senior citizens mock millennials Foxaèr 18 1951 October 11, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  Should North America get tougher on its citizens like Singapore? 1994Californication 7 1310 March 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Lets Talk About Citizens United Heywood 30 5428 November 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Is this seriously worth it? Guantanmo inmate never charged with a crime, dies after 11 years in US custody Hovik 66 26127 September 26, 2012 at 3:10 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Detaining citizens in psych wards without due process Faith No More 8 2029 August 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why can't communist become citizens, but Nazis can? cratehorus 9 7407 July 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris