Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have a blessed day!
Have a blessed day!
Today I contacted customer service for a utility for which I pay, and after they helped me and while they were signing off, they said "Have a blessed day". 

I am a big proponent of minding my beeswax when it comes to religion, but this has not set right with me. 

How would you feel about it?
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
RE: Have a blessed day!
Stuff like this doesn't bother me.
(November 23, 2019 at 2:36 pm)Mermaid Wrote: Today I contacted customer service for a utility for which I pay, and after they helped me and while they were signing off, they said "Have a blessed day". 

I am a big proponent of minding my beeswax when it comes to religion, but this has not set right with me. 

Meh just a way of saying hope you have a good day, it seems to me she obviously meant it as a sincere kind of good luck, so I would overlook it she can't possibly know your situation and its likely the way she says goodbye and meant no ill intentions. I get "have a blessed day" all the time and "bless you" after I sneeze I feel likes its a douche move to go "I don't believe in god don't say that to me" when their intentions are good. I don't believe in it so it really doesn't affect me when someone uses something like that.
God loves you unconditionally.

(certain conditions may apply. Failure to meet these conditions may result in an eternity of torture and damnation) 
I think my issue is that I am a customer who is paying for it. I haven't fully formulated thoughts on why it bugs me though.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(November 23, 2019 at 2:47 pm)Mermaid Wrote: I think my issue is that I am a customer who is paying for it. I haven't fully formulated thoughts on why it bugs me though.

Yeah I see your point a company you give money to might be a proponent of something you think is wrong, but I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to that, Chic Fil A is a very religious company but damn I love their chicken sandwiches. Also its probably just her way of saying have a good day not the company making a statement on their views.
God loves you unconditionally.

(certain conditions may apply. Failure to meet these conditions may result in an eternity of torture and damnation) 
(November 23, 2019 at 2:36 pm)Mermaid Wrote: Today I contacted customer service for a utility for which I pay, and after they helped me and while they were signing off, they said "Have a blessed day". 

Bemused. I would have replied with "And Allahu akbar right back at you" or something similar. Maybe "May you be touched by his noodly appendage, Ramen"

The bottom line here is you are not going to get into some mad theological debate with a CSR drone because that simply does not happen except on planet sausage perhaps

It might amuse you to get offended in some way, but what is the point? You cannot stop anyone from believing utter crap on some random CSR call. That is not a venue which allows that kind of room for any debate of anything. That is not the purpose of such a call.

You had an issue with some utility, you called CSR to resolve it. That is the end of it. It is not their task to resolve the existential nature of the universe (unless the universe is the utility to which you refer). I wouldn't care what nonsense the particular CSR believed. The aim of that game is to resolve a utility issue not the existence of a god.
[Image: 5%20Stars.png]

Well said, ire. Very well said.
It doesn't trouble me at all.  If I sneeze and someone says, 'Bless you', I thank them and get on with my life.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 23, 2019 at 2:59 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:

Bemused. I would have replied with "And Allahu akbar right back at you" or something similar. Maybe "May you be touched by his noodly appendage, Ramen"

The bottom line here is you are not going to get into some mad theological debate with a CSR drone because that simply does not happen except on planet sausage perhaps

It might amuse you to get offended in some way, but what is the point? You cannot stop anyone from believing utter crap on some random CSR call. That is not a venue which allows that kind of room for any debate of anything. That is not the purpose of such a call.

You had an issue with some utility, you called CSR to resolve it. That is the end of it. It is not their task to resolve the existential nature of the universe (unless the universe is the utility to which you refer). I wouldn't care what nonsense the particular CSR believed. The aim of that game is to resolve a utility issue not the existence of a god.

Thanks for your thoughts. This helps.

-Homer Simpson
(November 23, 2019 at 3:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It doesn't trouble me at all.  If I sneeze and someone says, 'Bless you', I thank them and get on with my life.

Boru

Exactly. Why should anyone be offended that someone responds in a way conditioned from childhood and actually autonomic in nature?

If one is so determined to become offended, then have a carve at the likes of William Lane Craig, or Sye Ten Bruggencate. or whoever of that lot. And do it in an appropriate venue FFS. Resolving a utility issue is neither the time nor place.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People with nice lives who think they're blessed Mozart Link 51 6028 August 9, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: Losty
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7103 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist