Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof That the Bible Isn't the Word of God
Proof That the Bible Isn't the Word of God
I have just finished reading Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason. I thought I would unify some of his arguments in order to produce an argument showing that the Word of God is nowhere to be found in the Bible, according to the Bible. To do this, I will first establish what is meant by a revelation and hence why the Bible is seen as the supposed Word of God.

Revelation

A revelation is a dialogue of some sort between God and a person. The person is then left with the choice of believing their experience to be a revelation or not. When said person shares their experience with another, it ceases to be a "revelation" as such. It is now information being passed from one person to another and since the 2nd person can't enter the mind of the 1st to experience for themselves the alleged revelation, they have the right not to believe it was a revelation from God. From this point onwards, it is merely hearsay as the account passes from person to person to person.

According to the claims of those who believe the Bible, we have at best testimonies of people's revelations and not the direct Word(s) of God. I believe it is on these grounds that the Christian thinks they hold a rational belief in the Bible. They believe that the documents which make up the Bible hold authority because of who wrote them, which were allegedly people who had revelations. But was it really these people, such as Moses, who were the authors of the books which are attributed to them?

The first book of the Bible is attributed to Moses, as are the next four, which altogether form the Pentateuch, which Moses allegedly wrote. But is this the case? Let's examine the Bible's internal evidence to ultimately show this is not the case, that they are in fact anonymous traditions passed down through the generations.

Genesis

In Genesis 14:14 the author tells us that Lot was going to be rescued from a town by the name of Dan. This town is referred to in the book of Judges, where we get told in verses 18:27-29 that "the people of Dan took what Micah had made, and the priest who belonged to him, and they came to Laish, to a people quiet and unsuspecting, and struck them with the edge of the sword and burned the city with fire. And there was no deliverer because it was far from Sidon, and they had no dealings with anyone. It was in the valley that belongs to Beth-rehob. Then they rebuilt the city and lived in it. And they named the city Dan, after the name of Dan their ancestor, who was born to Israel; but the name of the city was Laish at the first." This account is placed immediately after Samson's death in 1120 B.C. which makes it 331 years after Moses' death in 1451 B.C. therefore proving that Moses could not possibly have written Genesis. But the more obvious fatal fact here is that in Genesis it refers to the town as Dan and not Laish which undeniably means the author was writing sometime after the invasion by Dan's army.

As if this isn't enough evidence, there's another instance whithin Genesis that reveals it was written centuries after Moses' time. This comes from Genesis 36:31 which says "and these are the kings which reigned in Edom, before there reigned any king over the children of Israel" which, for it to make sense, must necessarily have been written after at least one king reigned Israel. Therefore, this brings us to no earlier than the time of Saul, who was the one to establish the Jewish Monarchy around 1000 B.C. i.e. 451 years after Moses' death. This is also supported by the fact that the rest of the chapter in Genesis appears word for word in 1 Chronicles 1:46 onwards, which was most certainly written (at least) after King Saul's reign.

These two examples are more than enough to show, by the Bible's own standards, that Moses did not write Genesis. This therefore severes the line of revelation between God and the author of the book of Genesis, as all it is now is a bunch of hearsay passed down through the centuries since it has no real authoritarian power since Moses didn't write it.

It can also be shown just as easily that the rest of the Pentateuch, Joshua, 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel weren't written by whom it is said wrote them, again, according to the Bible itself. I'll leave it here though and wait for some feedback on what's already been said.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Proof That the Bible Isn't the Word of God
Revelation was probably written under the effect of a natural alucinogenic.

Genesis is tribesmen bullshitting others for control.
(January 28, 2013 at 10:02 am)LastPoet Wrote: Revelation was probably written under the effect of a natural alucinogenic.

Genesis is tribesmen bullshitting others for control.

By "Revelation" I meant a personal revelation :p

TL;DR eh? All good!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
The Bible is meant to be "God breathed" as in it was wriiten by people inspired by God so it's not the word of God himself so you won't get very far with this. The Quran is meant to be the word of God though so you could try to find fault with that.
(January 28, 2013 at 10:35 am)Zone Wrote: The Bible is meant to be "God breathed" as in it was wriiten by people inspired by God so it's not the word of God himself so you won't get very far with this. The Quran is meant to be the word of God though so you could try to find fault with that.

Spin it however you want. Bottom line is that it has no more credible evidence for a god than the Popol Vuh does for the gods of the Quiché people. Both are anonymous traditions passed down through the centuries. Both are just as void of any authoritative power via personal revelation of testimony/testimonies by their authors, because their authors weren't the ones allegedly communicating with God.
Actually - one does not need long winded statements to say the bible is not the word of "god"

That religion claims that their god is PERFECT in every way - the Baltimore catechism says the same thing.

YOU judge perfection of a being based on what it does as well as what it is supposed to be.

A perfect being can only produce perfection

Humans - not being perfect - are proof that they were no produced by a god

A god that had to DROWN virtually all his creations because of problems - cannot be perfect.

The Universe - not being perfect - is proof of the non-existence of that god

AND all one needs to do is find ONE thing in the bible that is NOT TRUE - to prove that it is NOT the word of that god as well.

Noting that the xtians will claim that the Old Testament is not to be considered - use the NT - where the Devil took the christ up to a high place in the desert from which he could see ALL the kingdoms of the earth
(Luke 4:5 or Matthew 4:8)

Based on the CURVATURE of the earth - that would not be possible ever - but even then - it would not be possible to find such a place on earth from which you could see ALL the kingdoms mentioned in the bible itself.

The religion is nonsense
Quote:In Genesis 14:14 the author tells us that Lot was going to be rescued from a town by the name of Dan. This town is referred to in the book of Judges, where we get told in verses 18:27-29 that "the people of Dan took what Micah had made, and the priest who belonged to him, and they came to Laish, to a people quiet and unsuspecting, and struck them with the edge of the sword and burned the city with fire. And there was no deliverer because it was far from Sidon, and they had no dealings with anyone. It was in the valley that belongs to Beth-rehob. Then they rebuilt the city and lived in it. And they named the city Dan, after the name of Dan their ancestor, who was born to Israel; but the name of the city was Laish at the first." This account is placed immediately after Samson's death in 1120 B.C. which makes it 331 years after Moses' death in 1451 B.C. therefore proving that Moses could not possibly have written Genesis. But the more obvious fatal fact here is that in Genesis it refers to the town as Dan and not Laish which undeniably means the author was writing sometime after the invasion by Dan's army.
That conclusion can be denied on several grounds, the simplest being that it was a different place which happened to be called Dan. Duh.
John V Wrote:That conclusion can be denied on several grounds, the simplest being that it was a different place which happened to be called Dan. Duh.

A far cry from salvaging anything worthy that shows Moses wrote Genesis. And you know this to be a different Dan how?

@ThomM

I agree completely with you. Unfortunately, for some, the light can't penetrate the fog of that which is called "apologetics".
(January 28, 2013 at 11:15 am)FallentoReason Wrote: A far cry from salvaging anything worthy that shows Moses wrote Genesis. And you know this to be a different Dan how?
I don't, but I'm not claiming to be able to prove that Moses wrote Genesis. You're claiming to have proof that he didn't. This doesn't cut it. It could simply have been a different town.
(January 28, 2013 at 11:32 am)John V Wrote:
(January 28, 2013 at 11:15 am)FallentoReason Wrote: A far cry from salvaging anything worthy that shows Moses wrote Genesis. And you know this to be a different Dan how?
I don't, but I'm not claiming to be able to prove that Moses wrote Genesis. You're claiming to have proof that he didn't. This doesn't cut it. It could simply have been a different town.

The second argument makes it more than plausible that is it the Dan which was called Laish, unless you have another baseless assertion for why it could have been written before Saul's time?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44138 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. onlinebiker 3 1087 December 27, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Bible Study: The God who Lies and Deceives Rhondazvous 50 5437 May 24, 2019 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11731 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 2012 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Lol the bible is actually ok with pedophilia, proof from passage Rarieo 80 23327 July 29, 2017 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Proof that there is no God Nihilist Virus 10 2358 March 31, 2017 at 1:58 am
Last Post: ronedee
  Christians, your god is gay. I have proof! rado84 82 19159 March 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  God isn't all powerful dyresand 14 2385 January 31, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  I Have Proof the the Christian God Does Not and Cannot Eist Rhondazvous 89 14279 July 5, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous