Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crooked Politicians
Crooked Politicians
How do you tell if a US President is crooked?

Follow the money.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_..._net_worth

Then you have to ask yourself two things- how much money they have before entering politics - and how much are they worth now?

The crooked ones are the ones that made the most money by virtue of holding public office.

Agreed?
RE: Crooked Politicians
(February 1, 2020 at 12:56 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: How do you tell if a US President is crooked?

Follow the money.

Then you have to ask yourself two things- how much money they have before entering politics - and how much are they worth now?

The crooked ones are the ones that made the most money by virtue of holding public office.

Agreed?

Not necessarily.  Those politicians who enrich themselves while in office and through the operation of that office are certainly suspect.  Once out of office, if they make great walloping wads of cash via giving speeches, writing books, arranging film or television deals, that's not necessarily a sign of criminality.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 1, 2020 at 1:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 1, 2020 at 12:56 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: How do you tell if a US President is crooked?

Follow the money.

Agreed?

Not necessarily.  Those politicians who enrich themselves while in office and through the operation of that office are certainly suspect.  Once out of office, if they make great walloping wads of cash via giving speeches, writing books, arranging film or television deals, that's not necessarily a sign of criminality.

Boru

Profiteering is profiteering any way you paint it.
(February 1, 2020 at 3:09 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(February 1, 2020 at 1:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not necessarily.  Those politicians who enrich themselves while in office and through the operation of that office are certainly suspect.  Once out of office, if they make great walloping wads of cash via giving speeches, writing books, arranging film or television deals, that's not necessarily a sign of criminality.

Boru

Profiteering is profiteering any way you paint it.

Profiteering is not illegal in the US unless it is accomplished by criminal means. The last I checked, it isn’t a criminal act for a former president to charge speaking fees or to write his memoirs.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 1, 2020 at 4:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 1, 2020 at 3:09 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Profiteering is profiteering any way you paint it.

Profiteering is not illegal in the US unless it is accomplished by criminal means. The last I checked, it isn’t a criminal act for a former president to charge speaking fees or to write his memoirs.

Boru

Or renting out the Lincoln bedroom?
(February 1, 2020 at 4:26 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(February 1, 2020 at 4:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Profiteering is not illegal in the US unless it is accomplished by criminal means. The last I checked, it isn’t a criminal act for a former president to charge speaking fees or to write his memoirs.

Boru

Or renting out the Lincoln bedroom?

(Full disclosure - I had to look this one up)

People who contributed large amounts to the DNC were ‘perked’ by overnight stays in the White House, frequently (but not always) in the Lincoln Bedroom. Others perks included coffees, jogging with the the President, and so on.

Since staying in the LB was not conditional on making contributions, the practice was determined to be ‘unseemly, but not illegal or unethical.’  It was more as case of, ‘Thanks for the money. How would you like to spend the night in the Lincoln Bedroom?’ than ‘If you contribute, we’ll let you stay in the Lincoln Bedroom.’  HUGE difference.

Furthermore, since the Clintons never profited personally from this, the pejorative ‘profiteering’ hardly seems to apply. You started this about presidents enriching themselves while in office. That’s not the case here.

Boru
Oh my.... perks including coffees and jogging! what would I not to for that?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(February 1, 2020 at 4:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(February 1, 2020 at 4:26 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Or renting out the Lincoln bedroom?

(Full disclosure - I had to look this one up)

People who contributed large amounts to the DNC were ‘perked’ by overnight stays in the White House, frequently (but not always) in the Lincoln Bedroom. Others perks included coffees, jogging with the the President, and so on.

Since staying in the LB was not conditional on making contributions, the practice was determined to be ‘unseemly, but not illegal or unethical.’  It was more as case of, ‘Thanks for the money. How would you like to spend the night in the Lincoln Bedroom?’ than ‘If you contribute, we’ll let you stay in the Lincoln Bedroom.’  HUGE difference.

Furthermore, since the Clintons never profited personally from this, the pejorative ‘profiteering’ hardly seems to apply. You started this about presidents enriching themselves while in office. That’s not the case here.

Boru

I guess you'll just always be a "it depends on what your definition of "is" is" kinda guy...

Just because they didn't slip Slick Willie some cash - doesn't mean he didn't benefit.

Party loyalty and all that....98
(February 1, 2020 at 5:47 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(February 1, 2020 at 4:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: (Full disclosure - I had to look this one up)

Boru

I guess you'll just always be a "it depends on what your definition of "is" is" kinda guy...

Just because they didn't slip Slick Willie some cash - doesn't mean he didn't benefit.

Party loyalty and all that....98

Of course he benefited, but he would have benefited exactly the same if none of the donors to the DNC had ever gotten within 10 miles of the LB. It wasn’t a money-making scheme, it was a thank you with amazingly bad optics.

But your entire argument above is predicated on the personal wealth of presidents.  Since the LB situation put no money in Clinton’s pocket, it doesn’t apply.

Boru
(February 1, 2020 at 6:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: But your entire argument above is predicated on the personal wealth of presidents.  Since the LB situation put no money in Clinton’s pocket, it doesn’t apply.

OLB's argument, like all his other ones is predicated upon the deluded idea that if he shouts loudly enough about minor Democrat misdemeanours, the whole world will quickly forget about the large republitraitor crimes. As such, he's simply following the footsteps of his hero Herr Oberststurmbanngroppenfuhrer Donald Dumbfuck.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All Politicians Lie onlinebiker 23 1230 January 11, 2021 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Betsy Devos - Crooked Cunt Minimalist 7 1221 August 13, 2018 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Chad32
  "Crooked Hillary" cheated during the debate! Damning evidence! Aegon 20 2439 September 30, 2016 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Crooked Donald - Mob Ties Exposed Minimalist 17 2291 September 1, 2016 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Crooked Corporations and the Politicians They Own Minimalist 2 635 August 15, 2016 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Damned Politicians BrokenQuill92 2 857 December 24, 2015 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Creatard Shitwits...and the Politicians that Blow Them Minimalist 9 1710 July 18, 2014 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
Photo Do you think that politicians should be punnished for making wrong decisions? Big Blue Sky 16 4352 August 20, 2013 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
Video [Watch] Socratic Interviewing Flusters Politicians Koolay 1 1870 July 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Something completely different