Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10-4 CB lingo. Help me out here.
10-4 CB lingo. Help me out here.
I know 10-4 means "Message received and understood". But my question is how did that start and why was 10-4 assigned to that meaning? 

And as an aside,  back when I was a kid, my mom bought a used USPS  mail jeep, and she had a CB in it. My handle back then was R2D2.

Nevermind folks, found it. But click if interested.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/10-4/
RE: 10-4 CB lingo. Help me out here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten-code
Long before CBs became a thing that truckers and the average Joe had my dad had a two-way radio with the base station and a HUGE antenna tower at the home office and he had a radio in his truck. He was a veterinarian who mostly traveled from farm to farm treating dairy cattle and hogs. We were trained early how to use the radio. I still remember the routine. The call letters were KLW272 - there was no nickname like later on the CB when many people had access to the same radio bands. Dad would call in and we would either respond with new calls that had come in or we would say 'nothing doing'. Every call ended with 10-4 from either dad or whoever at the house had answered the call. I always saw '10-4' as being similar to hanging up the phone - this conversation is over - nothing more to follow.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Extra credit, what was the phrased used to call out to other CB users to make sure your equipment was working or if you had an emergency?

And, an aside, there was also a 10-3.
(May 9, 2020 at 6:26 am)Brian37 Wrote: Extra credit, what was the phrased used to call out to other CB users to make sure your equipment was working or if you had an emergency?

'I've got a loverly bunch of coconuts'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 9, 2020 at 6:24 am)arewethereyet Wrote:  I always saw '10-4' as being similar to hanging up the phone - this conversation is over - nothing more to follow.
Odd. I see it as "Got that." or "Wilco." Not a capper per se.
(May 9, 2020 at 6:26 am)Brian37 Wrote: Extra credit, what was the phrased used to call out to other CB users to make sure your equipment was working or if you had an emergency?

If you click on the link Zilla provided, you will see there are several 10 codes.

As for an emergency, there are quite a few depending on the nature of the emergency.

(May 9, 2020 at 6:36 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(May 9, 2020 at 6:24 am)arewethereyet Wrote:  I always saw '10-4' as being similar to hanging up the phone - this conversation is over - nothing more to follow.
Odd. I see it as "Got that." or "Wilco." Not a capper per se.

Just telling you how it was when dealing with dad.

10-4 meant this interaction is over.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

CB band - what happens when bureaucrats legislate what should be left to people with real knowledge of the matter.

A waste of frequency.

A frequency that under the right sunspot cycle is capable of worldwide communication on just a few watts of power - given to a bunch of yahoos with no real need for it.

Citizens band should have been over 200 mhz - so it could be used locally.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Walking in" restaurant kitchen lingo. Brian37 11 647 July 31, 2021 at 11:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 937 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1266 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  University transfer student, can you help me out GoHalos1993 2 824 December 10, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  You Win, I'm Out Of Here psychoslice 125 12563 March 24, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  You think you guys can help me out with a paper (of all religions/non-religion)? Annik 7 2593 August 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Could you a help an atheist out? Eilonnwy 6 2422 July 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Eilonnwy