Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Walking in" restaurant kitchen lingo.
"Walking in" restaurant kitchen lingo.
I have worked food service and kitchen work most of my life. Never a cook, but bussing and dishwashing. And in most kitchens the proximity is within earshot of the cooks.

Up until my last restaurant the call for a new order was, "listen up" or "up next". But, some restaurants have bullshit lingo that when wait staff enter the kitchen, the head cook says, "Walking in". That makes no fucking sense. If they have already slapped down the ticket, they are already in. 

I think more accurate lingo would be, "Next up". If they have already "walked in" and put the order in line, then they are NOT "walking in". 

I think lingo like "next in line" or "next up"  is more appropriate. 

It is like the bullshit of calling a hot dog or "Bruschetta" burger bun and charging 50 dollars more which amounts to fucking bread?

If an order comes into a kitchen, it is an order, it isn't fucking magic. I get price differences. Not against them. But as an employee that listens to that lingo which the customer does not  , "Walking In" is nothing more than, "I can charge you 5 million bucks for snails" 

Nope sorry. It is true that customers walk into a restaurant. But having worked high traffic joints, I don't want to hear "walking in". I am fine with "In line" or "up next" or even "on deck"........ 

But Brian, you say you were not a cook? True. But I always had to deal with the fallout.

How about all restaurant staff, front end, wait staff, and bussers and cooks and dishwashers, stop thinking it is our job to give blowjobs to the public? I don't think there is anyone sane, of ANY industry that is against pleasing customers. But some lingo irritates the fuck out of me. 

"Walking in" Sounds like a WW2 ship to ship warning of German U Boats and Japanese Zeros.

Every time I hit a high traffic time in the day " Walking in" sounded like a tornado warning.
RE: "Walking in" restaurant kitchen lingo.
Take your meds.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 30, 2021 at 10:48 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Take your meds.

Yes, this bugged me so much, I recently started a dishwasher jihad. I know damned well if I set my mind to it  I can do this.

(July 30, 2021 at 10:48 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Take your meds.

It's called humor. Sorry you didn't get that.

I also don't like when people use "same difference" or "my bad".

I survived my work life with people using "Walking in". I have no intent on harming anyone over that usage. I am pretty sure that in your own life, there are things people say that bother you too, that you wouldn't go on a killing spree over. 

When you can prove to me that you never want to vent over anything, even when being silly, I will back off.

Also pretty sure that my fandom of ABBA isn't causing you to put out hitman on the members of ABBA because I have a history of mentioning I like them.

"WALKING IN, ABBA"
It isn’t humour, mate. It’s a new low - even for you - in trivial banality.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sad is not a synonym for funny.
In all seriousness, I can’t imagine what it’s like to be bothered by the things that bother 37. It almost elicits a kind of sympathy for him.

Almost.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I can' t imagine being satisfied with life as a dishwasher....

A guy needs to branch out. Try new things.

Maybe he could try being a toaster for a while and work his way up to being a different major appliance......
Most types of businesses have their own lingo.

37, being challenged with the language in general, really can't be expected to learn business-speak.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 31, 2021 at 11:18 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Most types of businesses have their own lingo.  

37, being challenged with the language in general, really can't be expected to learn business-speak.

No one expects him to learn it (Heaven forfend), I just can’t get why he’s so bothered by it.

Boru
(July 31, 2021 at 11:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 31, 2021 at 11:18 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Most types of businesses have their own lingo.  

No one expects him to learn it (Heaven forfend), I just can’t get why he’s so bothered by it.

Boru

He has nothing real to be in a twist about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 619 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Running versus walking? Jehanne 9 389 February 21, 2022 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: brewer
  10-4 CB lingo. Help me out here. Brian37 7 1371 May 9, 2020 at 6:42 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What's in your kitchen junk drawer? brewer 13 987 November 20, 2017 at 6:33 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Parents not taking there crying child outside at a restaurant or store Sterben 65 6107 May 2, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Zizzi's restaurant expands menu! robvalue 10 1181 March 27, 2016 at 3:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  'The Bomb' - Detroit Mid-East Restaurant Cato 1 641 February 4, 2014 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Assimilate
  The Walking Dead Season 4 Cinjin 39 9102 November 7, 2013 at 1:18 am
Last Post: Cinjin
  The Walking Dead 4 Foxaèr 3 1198 October 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Thug Kitchen thesummerqueen 0 1061 April 3, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen