Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image of Guadalupe
Image of Guadalupe
So in 1531 some guy brings a traditional painting of Mary claiming it came from heaven, that virgin Mary painted it herself, and people believe him?! At least if he brought image that would be very hard to make, like a photo quality imprint of Mary, then maybe I could understand how people fall for it, but painting made with materials and methods of the sixteenth century, replete with standard artistic motifs clearly derived from earlier Spanish paintings, and with clear brush strokes marks on it is just scary gullible.

And she did this to convince a skeptical bishop - seems that scepticism doesn't reach a very high bar in Catholicism.

Is this the most ridiculous hoax in Christianity (aside from Gospels) or what?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Image of Guadalupe
(August 31, 2020 at 7:22 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: So in 1531 some guy brings a traditional painting of Mary claiming it came from heaven, that virgin Mary painted it herself, and people believe him?! At least if he brought image that would be very hard to make, like a photo quality imprint of Mary, then maybe I could understand how people fall for it, but painting made with materials and methods of the sixteenth century, replete with standard artistic motifs clearly derived from earlier Spanish paintings, and with clear brush strokes marks on it is just scary gullible.

And she did this to convince a skeptical bishop - seems that scepticism doesn't reach a very high bar in Catholicism.

There was an episode of Bullshit in which an image Jesus supposedly appeared on an office building window. (I think. It's been a long time since I saw the episode).

Many locals fell for it, calling it a miracle and all those other good things.

When the local sceptics walked around the side of the building, they found the images there, too. It seems the pattern of the sprinklers had left the "images".
Dying to live, living to die.
Holy water spots Batman, it's getting thick in here.
(August 31, 2020 at 8:43 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(August 31, 2020 at 7:22 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: So in 1531 some guy brings a traditional painting of Mary claiming it came from heaven, that virgin Mary painted it herself, and people believe him?! At least if he brought image that would be very hard to make, like a photo quality imprint of Mary, then maybe I could understand how people fall for it, but painting made with materials and methods of the sixteenth century, replete with standard artistic motifs clearly derived from earlier Spanish paintings, and with clear brush strokes marks on it is just scary gullible.

There was an episode of Bullshit in which an image Jesus supposedly appeared on an office building window.  (I think.  It's been a long time since I saw the episode).

When the local sceptics walked around the side of the building, they found the images there, too.  It seems the pattern of the sprinklers had left the "images".

Similar to the Crystal Cathedral's "miraculous" image of Mary back in the '80s.
When I was in 5th grade the Sisters of St. Joseph were passing out pamphlets promoting this hoax.  Dodgy
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(August 31, 2020 at 8:43 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(August 31, 2020 at 7:22 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: So in 1531 some guy brings a traditional painting of Mary claiming it came from heaven, that virgin Mary painted it herself, and people believe him?! At least if he brought image that would be very hard to make, like a photo quality imprint of Mary, then maybe I could understand how people fall for it, but painting made with materials and methods of the sixteenth century, replete with standard artistic motifs clearly derived from earlier Spanish paintings, and with clear brush strokes marks on it is just scary gullible.

There was an episode of Bullshit in which an image Jesus supposedly appeared on an office building window.  (I think.  It's been a long time since I saw the episode).

When the local sceptics walked around the side of the building, they found the images there, too.  It seems the pattern of the sprinklers had left the "images".

My toaster keeps giving me toast with the image of Mickey Mouse's head burned into the side. The fact that it's a Mickey Mouse toaster might have something to do with it. Coffee
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
What does toasted Mickey Mouse taste like.

Asking for a friend.
(September 1, 2020 at 6:55 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: What does toasted Mickey Mouse taste like.

Asking for a friend.

Goofy.
Clearly you have never heard of the Relic of the Holy Prepuce.
(September 1, 2020 at 9:57 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: Clearly you have never heard of the Relic of the Holy Prepuce.

If Jesus was truly holy superman they wouldn't have been able to circumcise him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AFA: Impregnated by a rapist? "Why kill a child made in God’s image?" Strider 54 7691 December 22, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: No_God
  Copy/paste image of "Something every Christian should hear" atheist04330 16 3328 August 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Sad You are ruining the image of Atheists! Kemotx 190 38079 October 11, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Man created in god's image Doubting_Thomas 40 19661 November 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense. Greatest I am 14 9026 April 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Jesus image found on dogs arsehole. downbeatplumb 9 3493 December 12, 2011 at 8:04 am
Last Post: houseofcantor