Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.

I take, in God’s image, to refer to God’s and our mental image and not the physical. God does not look like us in any way. He and his form is quite alien to us.

Genesis shows that Adam & Eve were created without the moral sense that would make them like Gods. That being the case, they had to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to be in God’s mental image. That is without a doubt a requirement to the development of a moral sense and is confirmed by God after Adam and Eve disobeyed his command to stay dumb and without a moral sense.

If they were created in God’s image then they would have already had the moral sense that comes from the knowledge of good and evil and would therefore not have been tempted by Satan to eat of the tree of knowledge because they would have had that knowledge already. This would also mean that God was punishing them unjustly.

One must conclude from these biblical facts, that God did not make mankind in his image.

The only other logical alternative is that God does not have a moral sense and that he too, like Adam and Eve, was basically as dumb as a cow.

Could that be why God is shown as doing other immoral things in scriptures?

The two main ones that come to mind is God having his own son murdered for the forgiveness of sin when there was no real need to and the genocide of Noah’s day.

Does being in God's image mean not having a moral sense?

Regards
DL
RE: What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.
[Image: godimageposter.jpg]
[quote='Greatest I am' pid='264271' dateline='1333224372']
[quote]What does in God’s image mean? [/quote]
With a gooey spirit center. (with a soul)

[quote]He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.[/quote]
As the bible outlines morality yes. They only knew the expressed will of God. They did not know sin and could not water down God righteousness with it, thus creating "morality."
Morality= man's attempt at God's righteous standard with the sin man is willing to live with Incorporated into it.

[quote]I take, in God’s image, to refer to God’s and our mental image and not the physical. God does not look like us in any way. He and his form is quite alien to us.[/quote]Christ is God and He was one of us

[quote]Genesis shows that Adam & Eve were created without the moral sense that would make them like Gods. That being the case, they had to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to be in God’s mental image.[/quote]You seem to be Working with a bad understanding of the "image of God."

[quote]That is without a doubt a requirement to the development of a moral sense and is confirmed by God after Adam and Eve disobeyed his command to stay dumb and without a moral sense.[/quote]Moral meaning what?

[quote]If they were created in God’s image then they would have already had the moral sense that comes from the knowledge of good and evil and would therefore not have been tempted by Satan to eat of the tree of knowledge because they would have had that knowledge already. This would also mean that God was punishing them unjustly.[/quote]
How so?

[quote]One must conclude from these biblical facts, that God did not make mankind in his image.[/quote]-Or- God did not make man kind in your understanding of "His Image."

[quote]Could that be why God is shown as doing other immoral things in scriptures?[/quote]absolutely if you look at the scripturally back definition of "morality." (Man made righteousness or Self righteousness.)

[quote]The two main ones that come to mind is God having his own son murdered for the forgiveness of sin when there was no real need to and the genocide of Noah’s day.[/quote] Perhaps it is your understanding of those two events that causes you to think this way. Can you explain how these two events do not make sense to you?

[quote]Does being in God's image mean not having a moral sense?[/quote]Again I need you to define morality. where does it come from what standard is it built on, does it change, who decides how and when to change it?

Regards
Drich
Wink

Why haven't I put Drich on my ignore list?

Answers on a postcard please.
Hey, look! All Drich did was fail to understand a single point. Is anyone surprised?
Quote:Does being in God's image mean not having a moral sense?

God has moral sense,he's just a bad tempered, jealous,petty,petulant,cruel ,vindictive,genocidal prick.He's also a little impulsive,and tends not to think things through before acting.. I mean he actually apologised after the flood,promising he wouldn't do it again.

Of course, I've probably taken it all out of context,and have gone and gotten all confused again. Thank goodness for the plethora of Christian intellectual giants we have here to gently guide us with deep tolerance,love and compassion

Angel Cloud
(March 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Why haven't I put Drich on my ignore list?

Answers on a postcard please.

Good question. I have. Cool Shades

(March 31, 2012 at 7:06 pm)R-e-n-n-a-t Wrote: Hey, look! All Drich did was fail to understand a single point. Is anyone surprised?

No.
(March 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: What does in God’s image mean? He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.

I take, in God’s image, to refer to God’s and our mental image and not the physical. God does not look like us in any way. He and his form is quite alien to us.

Genesis shows that Adam & Eve were created without the moral sense that would make them like Gods. That being the case, they had to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to be in God’s mental image. That is without a doubt a requirement to the development of a moral sense and is confirmed by God after Adam and Eve disobeyed his command to stay dumb and without a moral sense.

If they were created in God’s image then they would have already had the moral sense that comes from the knowledge of good and evil and would therefore not have been tempted by Satan to eat of the tree of knowledge because they would have had that knowledge already. This would also mean that God was punishing them unjustly.

One must conclude from these biblical facts, that God did not make mankind in his image.

The only other logical alternative is that God does not have a moral sense and that he too, like Adam and Eve, was basically as dumb as a cow.

Could that be why God is shown as doing other immoral things in scriptures?

The two main ones that come to mind is God having his own son murdered for the forgiveness of sin when there was no real need to and the genocide of Noah’s day.

Does being in God's image mean not having a moral sense?

Regards
DL

After reading the Genesis account of creation I believe that the folks who wrote the bible were so simplistic in their thinking that they meant literally in the physical image of Yahweh. Yahweh literally comes down and walks through the garden of eden after Adam and Eve eat from the tree of knowledge. Yahweh asks "Adam where are you? Why are you hiding from me? Who told you you were naked?" This is how Yahweh "finds out" that they had disobeyed him.

Another classic is where Jacob wrestles with Yahweh and gets the upper hand. Yahweh tries to use magic to win but it is no use. Jacob then holds Yahweh down to force him to give Jacob a blessing.

Genesis
32:22 And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.
32:23 And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had.
32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
32:25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
32:26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
32:27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
32:29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
32:30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

This humanized god shows up all over the OT. It's not until the NT that we get the removed, mysterious, spirit god of Jesus.

This conception of god is similar to what was happening at the same time in both Egypt and Greece where their gods bore human figures with some variations.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
When you think of it.

The human writers, who invented and wrote the story of Genesis were pretty arrogant to postulate that god was created in their own image. Assumes they are god like, and certainly espouses homocentricity .

Quote:
(March 31, 2012 at 6:23 pm)Drich Wrote:
(March 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm)Greatest I am Wrote:
Quote:What does in God’s image mean?
With a gooey spirit center. (with a soul)

Your God called man a living soul.

Quote:[quote]He created Adam & Eve without a moral sense.
As the bible outlines morality yes. They only knew the expressed will of God. They did not know sin and could not water down God righteousness with it, thus creating "morality."
Morality= man's attempt at God's righteous standard with the sin man is willing to live with Incorporated into it.

What sins are those?
Equality for women and Gays perhaps?

Quote:
Quote:I take, in God’s image, to refer to God’s and our mental image and not the physical. God does not look like us in any way. He and his form is quite alien to us.
Christ is God and He was one of us

True. If he lived at all, he was a Gnostic and knew that we all have God within us.

It does not sound like you have dropped your external conscience and matured to writing the laws of God in your heart. You have yet to go from childish things to manly things the way scriptures urge you to.

Quote:
Quote:Genesis shows that Adam & Eve were created without the moral sense that would make them like Gods. That being the case, they had to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil to be in God’s mental image.
You seem to be Working with a bad understanding of the "image of God."

So why are you not correcting it?
Please do. After all, it is the main question in the O P.

Criticism without correction is just cruelty according to your bible. Do you not follow it?

Quote:
Quote:That is without a doubt a requirement to the development of a moral sense and is confirmed by God after Adam and Eve disobeyed his command to stay dumb and without a moral sense.
Moral meaning what?

Close enough to righteousness for me but if you have a better definition then I will likely agree with it.

Mind you, I am not surprised to see you having a problem with knowing what moral is.

Quote:
Quote:If they were created in God’s image then they would have already had the moral sense that comes from the knowledge of good and evil and would therefore not have been tempted by Satan to eat of the tree of knowledge because they would have had that knowledge already. This would also mean that God was punishing them unjustly.
How so?

They would not have gained or lost anything in eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil for one and for two, you agree that they did not know good or evil and would not have known that they were doing evil.

Do you punish your children when they do something wrong without knowing it is wrong?
I hope not, so if it is wrong for you then do you not think it should also be wrong for God.
After all, our whole human legal system is based on punishing only those who can recognize god and evil.

Only your Christian system believes it is good to punish the innocent, like Jesus, so that the guilty can walk. That is completely immoral.

Quote:
Quote:One must conclude from these biblical facts, that God did not make mankind in his image.
-Or- God did not make man kind in your understanding of "His Image."

Thanks again for not showing your understanding.
Quote:
Quote:Could that be why God is shown as doing other immoral things in scriptures?
absolutely if you look at the scripturally back definition of "morality." (Man made righteousness or Self righteousness.)

Really?

It is righteous then to have a son murdered when there is no need to?
It is righteous is it to use genocide on almost the whole planet when God can just as easily cure as kill?

I see God taking the righteous low ground in both instances.
Please shoe how killing is more righteous than curing.

Quote:
Quote:The two main ones that come to mind is God having his own son murdered for the forgiveness of sin when there was no real need to and the genocide of Noah’s day.
Perhaps it is your understanding of those two events that causes you to think this way. Can you explain how these two events do not make sense to you?

See above.

Can you explain how it makes sense for God to take the moral low ground in both these instances when he has a pocket full of miracles and option to choose from?

Quote:
Quote:Does being in God's image mean not having a moral sense?
Again I need you to define morality. where does it come from what standard is it built on, does it change, who decides how and when to change it?

Regards
Drich
Wink

We are comparing your morals and mine at the moment. Those side issues we can speak to if we can actually communicate with each other. I am not optimistic at this point but hopeful.

We will see if your second effort is better than this first.

Regards
DL
(March 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm)mediamogul Wrote: After reading the Genesis account of creation I believe that the folks who wrote the bible were so simplistic in their thinking that they meant literally in the physical image of Yahweh. Yahweh literally comes down and walks through the garden of eden after Adam and Eve eat from the tree of knowledge. Yahweh asks "Adam where are you? Why are you hiding from me? Who told you you were naked?" This is how Yahweh "finds out" that they had disobeyed him.

Another classic is where Jacob wrestles with Yahweh and gets the upper hand. Yahweh tries to use magic to win but it is no use. Jacob then holds Yahweh down to force him to give Jacob a blessing.

Genesis
32:22 And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.
32:23 And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had.
32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
32:25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
32:26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
32:27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
32:29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
32:30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

This humanized god shows up all over the OT. It's not until the NT that we get the removed, mysterious, spirit god of Jesus.

This conception of god is similar to what was happening at the same time in both Egypt and Greece where their gods bore human figures with some variations.

I agree with your view of Eden. It is a simple story. I think it was written that way because it is to be a story of a rite of passage from childhood to adulthood.

Somewhat like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGx4IlppS...ure=relmfu

That is why the Jews see it as man's elevation and not the fall that Christianity later changed it to.

The Jacob story is likely similar in intent except it shows man striving against and defeating outside forces. I do admit though that I have not given that myth much thought.

Regards
DL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 546 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44126 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Adam & Eve T.J. 4 1064 November 6, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The 500 & Common Sense. Jehanne 53 4310 June 29, 2021 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5201 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Image of Guadalupe Fake Messiah 15 1136 September 2, 2020 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1692 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Adam & Eve Myth - Origins Gwaithmir 125 13620 July 13, 2019 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29267 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1752 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus