Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Voyage That Shook The World (2009) - Creationist BS masquerading as science
Bug 
The Voyage That Shook The World (2009) - Creationist BS masquerading as science
Watched two thirds of this thinking it a science docu about Darwin's trip on the Beagle. Then alarm bells started sounding in earnest as the creationist BS started to slither out from its dank, filthy hiding place. It has very high production values and is very sneakily and cleverly put together...basically, I feel a bit like the visiting vicar just attempted to grab my junk after inviting me over for tea and cake.  Mad

"High point" of the film occurs right at the end where an "expert" young earth creationist says that evolution is a crude and simple made up story of Darwin's and that he frequently made up fatuous stories as a child. No, pal, I think you'll find that the account of creation in Genesis is the simple, crude and fatuous explanation for life. Jog. The. Fuck. On.

Levitate
RE: The Voyage That Shook The World (2009) - Creationist BS masquerading as science
Sounds like a movie the cousins would love.
RE: The Voyage That Shook The World (2009) - Creationist BS masquerading as science
The makers lulled me into a sense of trust and intrigue by only interviewing acclaimed, right on historians as they told the tale, accurately enough, of Darwin's voyage, but then, later, they seamlessly spliced in interviews with Young Earth Creatards as if they were experts of a comparable magnitude. Trixy spamheads.  Read
I've found two other, REALITY based mega docu/drama series about the Beagle and Darwin etc - both running to 7 hours plus, a length the epic topic deserves in reality, not bitesize disingenuous shite like The Voyage That Shook The World. Here're the opening parts of the American PBS produced one:

I just changed my avatar to a still of the Beagle from this 1978 BBC series, also free on youtube like the PBS one mentioned above (which I'm looking forward to!)

STRICTLY back on topic, the wiki page on the travesty referenced in the OP has, amongst other things,  this to say:

Quote:The Voyage That Shook The World is a 2009 dramatised documentary film commissioned by Creation Ministries International, a Christian Young Earth creationist organisation, and produced by Fathom Media. It was released to mark the 200th anniversary of Charles Darwin's birth and the 150th anniversary of the publication of his seminal work On the Origin of Species.[1][2]

A historian featured in the film has stated that the creationist backing of the film had been concealed when he agreed to take part, that the editing of his words could give a false impression of his views, and that the film presents a historically distorted portrait of Darwin. Creation Ministries agreed that they had set up a "front company" to approach experts.[2] They denied any deception and stated that one of the interviewees had admitted that while the producers choose comments they "didn't distort what we said", and compared their approach to that used by the BBC in making documentaries.[3]

The three historians featured in the film subsequently issued a statement that they had been misrepresented by the film company's selective reconstruction of Darwin's voyage.
"The best way to lie is to tell the truth and then shut up."

Like this.

"Jimmy, did you set the dog on fire?"

"No."

Jimmy is thinking "the match set the dog on fire, not me." The producers went into full weasel mode to hide the fact that their intent was to get statements they could misrepresent through careful editing and mendacious production.
It was even worse than that GS but, yeah, basically they told a whole lot of beautifully presented and admirable truth and then slipped in a few dirty great untruths without so much as a skipped beat. Smooth criminals.
A lot of my cousins have actually sworn an oath to kill Darwin if they ever meet him. Dodgy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creationist Equivocation Objectivist 28 2919 December 24, 2022 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Creationist that Ken Ham calls "stupid" drfuzzy 3 1755 May 7, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A Creationist answered 10 questions . . . drfuzzy 26 7691 December 11, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  search Science Related topics Dinosaur Creationist: The Flintstones was a zebo-the-fat 24 4531 May 28, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Creationist Senators block fossil bill Bittersmart 119 21784 April 5, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Pat Robertson implores creationist Ken Ham to shut up Gooders1002 24 4370 February 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Question for our resident creationist(s) CleanShavenJesus 124 37844 August 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Do creationist know that what they are doing is wrong? Nerd 3 1952 March 24, 2013 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Chat with a creationist Gooders1002 39 19144 May 7, 2012 at 4:59 am
Last Post: DeeTee
  Let's Piss Off Creationist Morons. Minimalist 15 8184 February 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb