Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creationist Senators block fossil bill
Creationist Senators block fossil bill
Two Christian SC Senators Block Third Grader’s State Fossil Proposal Because Jesus

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/03/two-ch...lock-third

Quote:Earlier this year eight-year-old Olivia McConnell wrote her state representatives to suggest that since South Carolina doesn’t currently have a state fossil, it should be given one! Olivia decided that she needed a legitimate reason to suggest this besides liking fossils, so she came up with three:

1. One of the first discoveries of a vertebrae fossil in North America was on an S.C. plantation when slaves dug up wooly mammoth teeth from a swamp in 1725.

2. All but seven states have an official state fossil.

3. “Fossils tell us about our past.”

She sent the letter to Representative Robert Ridgeway(D) and Sen. Kevin Johnson(D), asking them to sponsor a bill officially making the woolly mammoth the official state fossil.

Quote:Ridgeway and Johnson both filed bills- H.4482 and S.854-to make the mammoth the official state fossil. The bill would amend the 1976 code on state emblems to include the Columbian Mammoth as the state’s first official fossil.

Quote:The bill passed the House with overwhelming support but encountered some difficulties when Senator Mike Fair(R-Turd) objected to the bill for “religious reasons.”

Fair, who has compared the President to Osama Bin Laden, helped to block funding for a rape crisis center, called climate change a hoax, and blocked evolution from the state’s science standards, saying “I don’t have a problem with teaching theories. I don’t think it should be taught as fact,” stood up for Biblical representation in the state fossil–after all, what’s science without Jesus?

Bryant proposed an amendment to the bill to include a passage from Genesis explaining the Biblical creation of life–because why not?

“I think it’s a good idea to designate the mammoth as the state fossil, I don’t have a problem with that. I just felt like it’d be a good thing to acknowledge the creator of the fossils,” Bryant told the Daily Beast.

Lt. Gov. Glenn McConnell blocked the proposed amendment because it introduced a new subject. He has since amended the amendment to describe the Columbian Mammoth as “created on the Sixth Day with the beasts of the field.”

In response to the Lt. Governor’s ruling Senator Mike Fair placed an objection to the bill, which has been put on hold until they can take what was a simple thing that would benefit children across South Carolina and make one little girl very happy–and figure out how to please the Creationists.

They can't even let a little girl get a State Fossil without being obnoxious, religious twats. PRAISE JAYSUS!
[Image: ferns500x125_zps9511e564.jpg]
RE: Creationist Senators block fossil bill
It is South Carolina..... lots of inbreeding in the trailer parks!
There's that "Just a Theory" canard again. I feel like there should be a pop quiz on science and social issues that keeps lame brains like these guys out of office if they can't pass it.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
We can find an actual relic of the past but can't acknowledge it because of something else that there is no evidence of gets in the way.
Fundie christians are children: they have to have it all their own way, or nobody can have anything nice at all. Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
@Esquilax
Apt quote:
Mencken defined puritanism as "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy".

(March 30, 2014 at 12:54 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Fundie christians are children: they have to have it all their own way, or nobody can have anything nice at all. Rolleyes
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 30, 2014 at 12:54 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Fundie christians are children: they have to have it all their own way, or nobody can have anything nice at all. Rolleyes

Are you really going to go there?

Atheist group sets up Chicago display protesting Christmas scene and celebrating Bill of Rights

I would agree with you that many fundamentalists* are children, in the sense they are emotionally still children in many ways. For example; I have a 16 year old brother who is intellectually handicapped and still believes in Father Christmas. In particular that Father Christmas gives presents to kids who have been nice and coal to those who have been naughty.

Honestly, I can't see any difference between his belief in Father Christmas and a fundamentalist Christian belief in Jesus Christ judging the living and the dead at the last judgement.

*I am using the term broadly to mean any scripture believing followers of a religion.
undefined
(March 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:

Atheist group sets up Chicago display protesting Christmas scene and celebrating Bill of Rights
How are the two related, exactly?

Interesting though... Unconquered Sun = Sol Invictus: a major Roman god. Strange atheists.

These people who act like Senator Mike Fair... Saying and doing things like that in Sweden would be career suicide for a politician, and the public ridicule he would be forced to endure, I couldn't even imagine. I suppose he has a right to say, think and do what he does, but... Why does he do it!?

(March 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:

These Atheist activists while they have quite sensible positions, do they carried away with their activism. Especially given Christmas is only on the surface a Christian holiday, it is below the surface just the pagan holiday of Saturnalia. That is the main reason why Jehovah Witnesses won't celebrate Christmas.

However then again I am an Australia and our atheist activists (such as the Australian Atheist Foundation) are mostly to be honest a bit loopy. Also Australia is a very secular country, with half the population being non-religious and 30% being atheists for all intense purposes. For example; any politician expressing in public they believed the Universe was 6000 years old would be instantly made a laughing stock.

By the way I don't celebrate Christmas at all any more, so when it comes to that time of the year I am the resident Scrooge.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creationist Equivocation Objectivist 28 3002 December 24, 2022 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Bug The Voyage That Shook The World (2009) - Creationist BS masquerading as science Duty 7 677 September 8, 2020 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bill Craig now claiming to have a PhD in Philosophy. Jehanne 26 5575 March 18, 2017 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Creationist that Ken Ham calls "stupid" drfuzzy 3 1761 May 7, 2016 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  A Creationist answered 10 questions . . . drfuzzy 26 7763 December 11, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  search Science Related topics Dinosaur Creationist: The Flintstones was a zebo-the-fat 24 4552 May 28, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Bill Mahar calls Christians out on their delusions Mudhammam 59 7438 March 21, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Im back! - Ray Comfort and Ken Ham & Bill Nye and Ken Ham Debate thoughts xr34p3rx 2 1638 March 9, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: xr34p3rx
  Pat Robertson implores creationist Ken Ham to shut up Gooders1002 24 4430 February 10, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Question for our resident creationist(s) CleanShavenJesus 124 38096 August 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Faith No More