Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building the Lifeboats
Building the Lifeboats
They're doing it again. 

Some of you will remember the last days of the W Bush administration when everything had fallen apart. Our economy was in freefall in a way not seen since the crash of 1929 and the Iraq War was a disaster. Republicans, after wrecking the country with their lies and incompetence, were forced out of power both in the White House and in Congress.

Instead of rebuking them for the mess they had made of the country, Obama did everything to reach out to them in a spirit of bipartisan healing in order to bring the nation together. We were told to put it all behind us and move forward as a nation.

As a result, the Republicans escaped responsibility and, in just two years, regrouped and came roaring back as a "brand new political movement" known as "The Tea Party". They pretended they had nothing to do with W Bush. In reality, there was no "Tea Party". They were just Republicans rebranding themselves to get the Bush stink off of them.

They're going to try it again with this "Lincoln Project". When Trump goes down, they're going to sail away in their lifeboats and pretend they had nothing to do with "Trumpism". And they're planning to come roaring back in 2022 with a fresh, clean slate.

Don't let them get away with this. Trump IS the Republican Party. They all collectively own this mess.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Building the Lifeboats
(September 14, 2020 at 10:51 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: They're doing it again. 

Some of you will remember the last days of the W Bush administration when everything had fallen apart. Our economy was in freefall in a way not seen since the crash of 1929 and the Iraq War was a disaster. Republicans, after wrecking the country with their lies and incompetence, were forced out of power both in the White House and in Congress.

Instead of rebuking them for the mess they had made of the country, Obama did everything to reach out to them in a spirit of bipartisan healing in order to bring the nation together. We were told to put it all behind us and move forward as a nation.

As a result, the Republicans escaped responsibility and, in just two years, regrouped and came roaring back as a "brand new political movement" known as "The Tea Party". They pretended they had nothing to do with W Bush. In reality, there was no "Tea Party". They were just Republicans rebranding themselves to get the Bush stink off of them.

They're going to try it again with this "Lincoln Project". When Trump goes down, they're going to sail away in their lifeboats and pretend they had nothing to do with "Trumpism". And they're planning to come roaring back in 2022 with a fresh, clean slate.

Don't let them get away with this. Trump IS the Republican Party. They all collectively own this mess.

T.Rump is only a Republican NOW.

Always remember - he was a Democrat first.

With that track record, tomorrow he might be a Whig.

And with that hair, how apropos....
Building lifeboats is not what the Lincoln Project is about. The group is solely focused on defeating Trump and his supporters in congress during the 2020 election even if it means electing Democrats. Group founder George Conway, Kellyanne's husband, has been a vocal critic of Trump since day one. Several other members of the group have quit the Republican party in protest over it's blind devotion to Trump. All of them have been critical of not just his leadership and moral character, but the direction he has been taking the party as well. Thier strategy is to live in Trump's head. In order to do that most of the ads they run are targeted at networks and timeslots they think Trump is likely to be watching.

The Tea Party dragged the kicking and screaming Republican party further and further to the right. The Lincoln Project's goal is the oppisite. They want to pull the back back from the precipice. This doesn't mean conservatives are going to stop being conservatives because they aren't, but I don't see how a softening of their positions is a bad thing. We might not like to admit it, but there is a real chance Trump and his congressional cock suckers could get reelected. I don't want to see that happen. So while the enemy of my enemy might not be my friend. We do seem to share the same goal of sending Trump home in Janurary, and I'll take all the help we can get in that area.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
It would be a mistake to think that the lincoln project represents a softening of conservative stances. They just don't like the current salesman.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Any port in a storm.
Glad to see the OP is still around, I was starting to think we'd lost him.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 15, 2020 at 8:12 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: It would be a mistake to think that the lincoln project represents a softening of conservative stances.  They just don't like the current salesman.

I don't know about that. Some of the people that founded the organization have been pretty vocal in their opposition to some of the worst of the current regime's policies. Conservatives are going to back conservative policies, but there is a pretty big gap between the likes of John McCain or Mitt Romney and Donald Trump. But yes, the Lincoln Project's main beef is with the man and the people in congress that enable him than with conservative policies in general.

Here is the thing though. The Tea Party and Trump aren't the disease they are a symptom. The disease is the huge segment of American society that voted the fuckers into office. If we can keep that from happening again, which is exactly what the Lincoln Project is all about, we are going to pull the government back to left a bit by default.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Trumpism is conservative policy. There's the lifeboat they're building. Pretending otherwise so that they can put a better salesman forward to do the same things without saying the same quiet parts out loud.

The lincoln project very much wants for those same people to vote for those same kind of fuckers, just not this particular fucker. The american right wing is a white identity party. That's all it is. It has been for some time. This isn't an aberration.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 15, 2020 at 8:59 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: Glad to see the OP is still around, I was starting to think we'd lost him.

Long story made short: my life has been a bit of a rocky ride lately. I haven't left this forum. I think it's a great place and I intend to stay. 

Have we lost anyone during my absence? Dritch mentioned some kind of exodus in his post.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I don't pay much attention to what Drich says, I'd ask Boru or Valkyrie. I haven't noticed more than the usual turnover myself.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oh, No...Looks Like Building Walls Is Complicated, Too! Minimalist 28 4639 March 30, 2017 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  87+ Dead in Bangladesh Building Collapse Minimalist 17 6568 May 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Greece is now building a F1 racing track for 100 million euros! kılıç_mehmet 15 4918 October 2, 2012 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Gunman Injures Four Outside Empire State Building A Theist 17 6543 August 25, 2012 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn