Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you used "social distancing concerns" as an excuse to avoid social events?
Have you used "social distancing concerns" as an excuse to avoid social events?
I have - once thus far...really there was only "extreme paranoia" level concerns which I disingenuously exaggerated in order to avoid a social event I didn't fancy. I have now identified an in-law who's just, very clearly, done the same. Is this practice very widespread I wonder...

"Why don't you come visit for the day, grandma would love to see you and we could view the slides of our holiday in Blackpool."

"Oh, I'd love to, but my friend's friend who I play chess with tested positive for COVID so I really can't risk being anywhere near a senior citizen."

"Oh of course, how gallant and responsible of you - some other time then." 

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious

ETA: probably shoulda put this in the "Humour" subforum - fell free to move it mods if you can be bothered.
RE: Have you used "social distancing concerns" as an excuse to avoid social events?
Nope. When I want to avoid a social event, I generally say something like, ‘No thank you’ or ‘That doesn’t sound like something I’d be interested in doing’ or even ‘I’d rather smash myself repeatedly in the face with a hammer than accompany you to an exhibit of carved Icelandic whalebone dildos. But ta for asking.’

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Have you used "social distancing concerns" as an excuse to avoid social events?
Avoiding offending people...some people...is probs more commonplace methinks than saying "You must be nuts - I'd rather gauge out my eyes with a blunt spoon than spend a whole day in YOUR interminably boring company!" although I admire your honesty Boru in a way!
I regularly told people to piss off on their dinner invitations since 1979......

Cool
(September 16, 2020 at 8:18 am)Lawz Wrote: Avoiding offending people...some people...is probs more commonplace methinks than saying "You must be nuts - I'd rather gauge out my eyes with a blunt spoon than spend a whole day in YOUR interminably boring company!" although I admire your honesty Boru in a way!

I appreciate you admiring my honesty. Lots of people don’t.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 16, 2020 at 8:05 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Nope. When I want to avoid a social event, I generally say something like, ‘No thank you’ or ‘That doesn’t sound like something I’d be interested in doing’ or even ‘I’d rather smash myself repeatedly in the face with a hammer than accompany you to an exhibit of carved Icelandic whalebone dildos. But ta for asking.’

Boru

My introverted nature and dislike for social events in general are pretty well known so even when invited the expected response from me is a no.

I have trained my entire life, due to various factors, for social distancing.  This hasn't really changed much for me except that I work from home now.  It was difficult to get that gig pre-COVID.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Social?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Wife and I got invited to a wedding, she laughed in the poor girls face. Didn't need any excuse after that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No.

I usually just tell people I'm not interested or that they can just piss off.
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 16, 2020 at 11:52 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Wife and I got invited to a wedding, she laughed in the poor girls face.  Didn't need any excuse after that.

Hehe  That's some real burnage, right there.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Be Aware On Celebrity social media pages. Brian37 12 442 March 18, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is the world supply of bagels a good social measurement of sexual abuse worldwide or BananaFlambe 11 1026 December 4, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Getting to know you - do you have kids, etc. arewethereyet 39 2748 September 28, 2021 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Is it possible for someone to have a plan and not have one at the same time? Der/die AtheistIn 9 1020 March 4, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Your landmark events. Gawdzilla Sama 22 1296 September 16, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13