Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Electoral College
The Electoral College
[Image: 119771300_10217770363710087_472071310634...e=5F880407]
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: The Electoral College
29+20+18=67.  I'm not what you'd call a maths whiz, but I'm pretty sure than 67 and 270 are two different numbers.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2020 at 6:19 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 29+20+18=67.  I'm not what you'd call a maths whiz, but I'm pretty sure than 67 and 270 are two different numbers.

Boru

When you add all the states that are foregone conclusions, you get to 270. 

Give me those three states and I will give you the next US President.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Ah yes The Electoral College a thing that makes me super happy i don't live in America and that we have not embraced a similar system 

Here's a really good video on it 

"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I remember watching a video a few years ago showing how the presidency could be won on 20.2% of the vote, simply by winning a bare majority in the smallest states up to Florida. Now there was one assumption the video maker made, that the election was a literal two horse race, in a normal race a plurality in each state would suffice driving the threshold even lower.

Now, that's democracy! </s>
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
The one unique thing about America's constitution, is that it set up separation of powers, co equal branches of government, and even checks on the voters to prevent mob rule.

It is why in our history, despite what voters wanted, our SCOTUS has sided with the "right to petition the government for a redress of grievance", which means that the voters don't always get what they want. The fact that same sex marriage is law of the land now, is a direct result of petitioners challenging courts. There was a time when the thought of same sex marriage was unimaginable.

And we also have the power of impeachment, and the 25th amendment. 

I am torn on the electoral college. I hated the 2000 outcome as well as 2016. 

I can only speculate that the founders put in the electoral college to avoid a mob rule by majority. 

But before anyone rips me apart, my question for a long time, long before even becoming a member here, has been, "Ok, you don't like this, so if you don't like this, then what do you replace it with?"  I don't think it is as simple as saying, "Get rid of it". It also matters what you are going to replace it with.  

For or against, is not my question. But more to the point, that no matter what system you defend, remove or replace, still is run by human beings. And as long as humans seek power, any system can become corrupt/gamed. 

So while our Constitution is not perfect, I think the long term problem is corruption, not the Constitution itself. I think Trump is the problem not the Constitution. I think the GOP not willing to play fair is the problem.
I have been saying for a long time now that the EC needs to GO.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
States could do a lot to mitigate this by apportioning their electoral college votes according to the percentages of the popular vote in their state. There's nothing in the Constitution that says states have to throw all their electoral college votes at whoever wins the majority in their state.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 18, 2020 at 9:27 am)Eleven Wrote: I have been saying for a long time now that the EC needs to GO.

Fine, but you cannot tell me, prior open states have not become corrupt or fallen. 

Again, I am not arguing for or against the EC, my question is, what would you replace it with?

If you read my prior post, what I was pointing out is that ALL governments in the world are run by humans, thus will always be subject to manipulation and corruption. It still depends on those in an open society to value the system they live under. 

Germany was an open democracy post WW1 and still was manipulated and fell.

Even in a Parliamentary system like England, they have a Mini Me Trump running things.
(September 18, 2020 at 9:58 am)Brian37 Wrote: Fine, but you cannot tell me, prior open states have not become corrupt or fallen. 

Again, I am not arguing for or against the EC, my question is, what would you replace it with?

If you read my prior post, what I was pointing out is that ALL governments in the world are run by humans, thus will always be subject to manipulation and corruption. It still depends on those in an open society to value the system they live under. 

Germany was an open democracy post WW1 and still was manipulated and fell.

Even in a Parliamentary system like England, they have a Mini Me Trump running things.

Tell me, what is the job of the EC?

It seems to me that it's only job is to go against the voice of the people and elect whom it wants.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petition to abolish the Electoral College Foxaèr 44 1639 October 19, 2020 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mob Mentality and Electoral College eliwhitneyIII 8 629 May 11, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  A Little Electoral Justice Minimalist 10 1674 November 10, 2017 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Amarok
  End the Electoral College? chimp3 60 8955 December 8, 2016 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  History of the electoral college READ.... Brian37 20 2145 November 15, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Will the Electoral College dump Trump? Jehanne 19 3095 November 14, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Dear American College students: Go to Germany TaraJo 12 4049 October 11, 2014 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  is college worth it anymore nintendo048 33 4903 March 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: nintendo048
  The Effect of College Education On the Presidential Election pocaracas 13 6113 November 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Defend the Ellectoral College!! Brian37 23 5793 October 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist