Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signature verification and mail in ballots.
Signature verification and mail in ballots.
Many states use signature verification scans with mail in ballots. How accurate is this? I do know with myself, my handwriting sucks. I voted in person, so I don't have to worry about it. But I also know that every time I sign something, my signature varies sometimes wildly. This is one of the reasons I didn't do mail in.
RE: Signature verification and mail in ballots.
Depends on your idea of accuracy. Accuracy as in being able to provide a measure of confidence that a ballot is legitimate? Sure. Accurate as in providing pretext to invalidate any ballot on the grounds of our constantly changing chicken scratch? Sure, also, too.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 21, 2020 at 1:41 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Many states use signature verification scans with mail in ballots. How accurate is this? I do know with myself, my handwriting sucks. I voted in person, so I don't have to worry about it. But I also know that every time I sign something, my signature varies sometimes wildly. This is one of the reasons I didn't do mail in.

I wonder what percentage are thrown out for failing the signature scan.  I'm willing to be the number will be very high in Republican-run swing states.

I can also see this as a court fight.
(October 21, 2020 at 2:02 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(October 21, 2020 at 1:41 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Many states use signature verification scans with mail in ballots. How accurate is this? I do know with myself, my handwriting sucks. I voted in person, so I don't have to worry about it. But I also know that every time I sign something, my signature varies sometimes wildly. This is one of the reasons I didn't do mail in.

I wonder what percentage are thrown out for failing the signature scan.  I'm willing to be the number will be very high in Republican-run swing states.

I can also see this as a court fight.

I don't know. I am betting, considering the national polls have Biden beating the shit out of Trump, it may not matter in the end. But we all know it is the swing states that matter. 

Outside the swing states and the electoral college, I still see Biden winning the popular vote even at a bigger margin than Hillary did. 

But the popular vote doesn't mean shit if you don't win the electoral college too.
I know in my state if there is a perceived mismatch, the elections office will contact the voter and verify that the voter signed the ballot.  We also can verify online when the ballot is accepted for counting.
For years - whenever I write a check at a local business - when they ask me to OK the transaction and sign the electronic screen - I sign it Leonard Lake, John Wayne Gacy, Richard Ramerez or Charles Manson.....

Nobody has ever said a word....
(October 21, 2020 at 2:45 pm)Jackalope Wrote: I know in my state if there is a perceived mismatch, the elections office will contact the voter and verify that the voter signed the ballot.  We also can verify online when the ballot is accepted for counting.

Much the same here. After 5 days, you can check online whether you ballot was counted. If not, you can ring the up and find out why.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: For years - whenever I write a check at a local business - when they ask me to OK the transaction and sign the electronic screen - I sign it Leonard Lake, John Wayne Gacy, Richard Ramerez or Charles Manson.....

Nobody has ever said a word....

I practiced writing my signature backwards and signed my name like that for a while. I tried daffy duck bugs bunny and nothing ever happened. /shrugs
I used to carefully sign my name so that it was fully legible. Now I do some weird scrawled hieroglyphic that is sort of my initials. It has never been an issue.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

NONE of my signatures look the same. If I actually cared and wanted them to look similar, I'd spend more time than 4-5 seconds on them.

I have, before, been careful about my sig, but those are rare/important occasions. No matter, pretty much everything worthwhile is in electronic sig nowadays.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 795 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Help needed - your signature needed zuider_zee 8 1558 January 28, 2014 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  The strangest piece of mail I have ever received... Erinome 8 1402 November 18, 2011 at 11:35 am
Last Post: Erinome