Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am NEVER going to the hospital again.
I am NEVER going to the hospital again.
I had to different stays last month. I won't get into total, other than to say FUCK THE GOP! I wont even go if I get covid, I'll fucking die first. A couple weeks ago I heard a story on tv that a guy that got covid stayed a month and his bill was nearly 1 million. 

I have the money, but never again. I would rather be able to give it to my best friend than to make some asshole CEO richer.

I am lucky I have a savings, but even with that, it is going to cut into my ability to get to social security.
RE: I am NEVER going to the hospital again.
I wish I had the money.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 12, 2020 at 12:03 pm)Eleven Wrote: I wish I had the money.

Like I said, I am lucky, but with this gigantic bill it is going to cut into my budget getting social security.

I use to be poor myself, but my mom left me a savings.

I can't imagine what people who can't afford it get hit.
(November 12, 2020 at 11:56 am)Brian37 Wrote: I had to different stays last month. I won't get into total, other than to say FUCK THE GOP! I wont even go if I get covid, I'll fucking die first. A couple weeks ago I heard a story on tv that a guy that got covid stayed a month and his bill was nearly 1 million. 

I have the money, but never again. I would rather be able to give it to my best friend than to make some asshole CEO richer.

I am lucky I have a savings, but even with that, it is going to cut into my ability to get to social security.

Just curious - how does having a whopping great medical bill affect your ability to get social security (it probably works different there than here).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 12, 2020 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 12, 2020 at 11:56 am)Brian37 Wrote: I had to different stays last month. I won't get into total, other than to say FUCK THE GOP! I wont even go if I get covid, I'll fucking die first. A couple weeks ago I heard a story on tv that a guy that got covid stayed a month and his bill was nearly 1 million. 

Just curious - how does having a whopping great medical bill affect your ability to get social security (it probably works different there than here).

Boru
Our SS benefits are tied to our earnings over our lifetime.  The amount you have in savings means nothing.

It can have an effect on Medicare when you reach that age but it doesn't factor into SS.

What I have to watch is how much I earn since I now draw Social Security.  There's a limit as to how much I can earn per month at a job or as a contractor.  Not once has the SS Administration asked how much I have in the bank.  If you exceed your monthly limit then your future pay from SS can be reduced.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

So many elderly people in nursing homes on Medicare in this country. Just goes to show you how the health care industry is valued above humanity.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(November 12, 2020 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

It does not affect my social security once I get to that age, but I want to make my savings last to get to that age.

My social security is based on all the tax they took out of all the jobs I worked in my life. But I don't get to draw on it until I reach, I think 65. I am 54. What my mom left me has to last me 12 years. 

Most of our western allies don't have our crappy system. Our hospitals look like 5 star hotels, sure, but they also bill everyone as if everyone were millionaires or billionaires.

I would rather die and give that money to my best friend, who is in my will, than to make some rich asshole CEO richer.

I see no point in having a savings, to get drained by some rich fuck who doesn't need the money.
(November 12, 2020 at 12:34 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(November 12, 2020 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Just curious - how does having a whopping great medical bill affect your ability to get social security (it probably works different there than here).

Boru
Our SS benefits are tied to our earnings over our lifetime.  The amount you have in savings means nothing.

It can have an effect on Medicare when you reach that age but it doesn't factor into SS.

What I have to watch is how much I earn since I now draw Social Security.  There's a limit as to how much I can earn per month at a job or as a contractor.  Not once has the SS Administration asked how much I have in the bank.  If you exceed your monthly limit then your future pay from SS can be reduced.

Thanks. It is different. Here, the old-age pension (the part of social security I think Brian is talking about) isn’t means or income tested. Someone drawing the pension is able to earn as much as they like without benefits being reduced. Which is good, because the benefit amount is a cruel joke.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 12, 2020 at 12:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(November 12, 2020 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Just curious - how does having a whopping great medical bill affect your ability to get social security (it probably works different there than here).

Boru

It does not affect my social security once I get to that age, but I want to make my savings last to get to that age.

My social security is based on all the tax they took out of all the jobs I worked in my life. But I don't get to draw on it until I reach, I think 65. I am 54. What my mom left me has to last me 12 years. 

Most of our western allies don't have our crappy system. Our hospitals look like 5 star hotels, sure, but they also bill everyone as if everyone were millionaires or billionaires.

I would rather die and give that money to my best friend, who is in my will, than to make some rich asshole CEO richer.

I see no point in having a savings, to get drained by some rich fuck who doesn't need the money.

Ok, I see. It won’t affect you ability to qualify for the benefit (which is what I thought you meant), but you’ll have a harder time making your savings last long enough.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Boru
A good friend's father is in a care facility. When they sold his home recently they had to consult a tax attorney to protect his portion of the money. When a person is on Medicare any assets they have can be pulled to pay for that care instead of Medicare taking care of it.

Luckily he was savvy enough to have the house put into his name and his three daughters' names before he went into care. Only a fourth of the money made on the sale of the house is actually his that way.

In the last months of my father's life his care ate up his savings because they go for that before having Medicare pay.

It's a screwed up system...welcome to 'Merica.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I feel kind of uncomfortable going to counseling Der/die AtheistIn 23 2199 April 11, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Can a mistake be so big, that the one who did will never have your respect again? Der/die AtheistIn 31 2087 February 18, 2019 at 12:10 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] What's Going On In Your Life Shell B 19 2120 January 7, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  How to hide going to therapy? Der/die AtheistIn 14 1057 January 4, 2019 at 8:50 am
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Is it possible to love someone you will never forgive? Der/die AtheistIn 13 1787 May 24, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama