Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] The pants that is free-verse
The pants that is free-verse
Certainly there is immense merit in some free verse e.g. Things Men Have Made, by DH Lawrence (1929)

But for the most part, all over the internet, it's modern stuff like this:

She came through the cracked
paint as one and instantly I

knew her blossom
from Ages ago that whirled the eternal aluminium in starlight and un-

abrogated mental

passion before
the overwhelming asylum
thought
that if...

she Was indeed feline
or...

the termination of incessance.

And the sycophantic forumites applaud with, Ooh, you're such a good poet!

I really don't get it. It seems to be an abrogation of the art to neglect form, construction, framing, rhyme, rhythm, metre, sense et. al. Chuck out a stream of incoherent and disjointed consciousness or a bad wet dream and call it poetry. And get the plaudits.

Anybody doing free-verse who can address the apparent nonsense? I don't want to dismiss a form of art if there's something to glean. Always willing to learn.
RE: The pants that is free-verse
My opinion of free verse - it is aptly named and you get what you pay for.
(January 16, 2021 at 11:19 am)RozzerusUnrelentus Wrote: Anybody doing free-verse who can address the apparent nonsense? I don't want to dismiss a form of art if there's something to glean. Always willing to learn.

Apparent nonsense in a "serious" thread. Doubt this goes anywhere.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I don't have much use for poetry except as it exists as song lyrics.

Free verse seems to me to be the work of someone who doesn't know the rules of syllable counts and the symmetry that exists in most poetry. IMO, which is worth nothing, free verse is a way to throw thoughts together in a way that it looks like poetry when printed out but really follows none of the accepted rules.

It make me think of beatniks snapping their fingers in some smoky, dark lounge. Steam of consciousness blather...not something that draws me in.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Does this thread really merit a [Serious] tag?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Moderator Notice
Post deleted and user thread banned for violating [Serious] protocols.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 16, 2021 at 1:11 pm)brewer Wrote:
(January 16, 2021 at 11:19 am)RozzerusUnrelentus Wrote: Anybody doing free-verse who can address the apparent nonsense? I don't want to dismiss a form of art if there's something to glean. Always willing to learn.

Apparent nonsense in a "serious" thread. Doubt this goes anywhere.

Yes. Apparent nonsense. I was looking for a serious discussion heading off jokes or ribaldry on a frustrating subject.

Why would apparent nonsense not merit serious discussion?

If I'm breaching some rule, please spell it out for future reference so I don't fall foul again. Ta.
(January 16, 2021 at 3:17 pm)RozzerusUnrelentus Wrote:
(January 16, 2021 at 1:11 pm)brewer Wrote: Apparent nonsense in a "serious" thread. Doubt this goes anywhere.

Yes. Apparent nonsense. I was looking for a serious discussion heading off jokes or ribaldry on a frustrating subject.

If I'm breaching some rule, please spell it out for future reference so I don't fall foul again. Ta.

I don't consider you breaching a rule. But if you want thread participation I believe you need to consider the effect when flagging a thread as "serious". That's all I was pointing out.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 16, 2021 at 3:17 pm)RozzerusUnrelentus Wrote:
(January 16, 2021 at 1:11 pm)brewer Wrote: Apparent nonsense in a "serious" thread. Doubt this goes anywhere.

No rules broken.

Boru
@brewer
@BrianSoddingBoru4

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated. :-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movie scenes that made you crap your pants. Brian37 33 2617 November 5, 2021 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Tight Pants and Body Rolls The_Flying_Skeptic 13 6369 May 27, 2010 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Scented Nectar