Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REVIEWED: The Force Awakens (SPOILER FREE)
Video 
REVIEWED: The Force Awakens (SPOILER FREE)
For my full review, including spoilers, see my blog post. This is a spoiler-free summary.
18/12/2015: Updated with the new sections I put into the blog review.

[Image: vFEOvgS.png]

Uncensored version of the above pic (showing the first two lines of text):

Charm and Enthusiasm
None, whatsoever.

Atmosphere and Cinematography
Terrible. Hands down the worst cinematography in a Star Wars film, and there’s a complete lack of atmosphere throughout the movie (with little exception).

There are constant uses of extreme-close ups (the movie is saturated with them), and this is despite the fact that those kind of close-ups are wrong in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. If you want to see proof of this, watch an old Disney animation that is in academy ratio - Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, etc, and then watch Lady and the Tramp and you'll see a quite different use framing that's better suited to the widescreen format, and a lack of the close-ups that you get in the academy-ratio films. And these were animations, the animators had no restrictions on what they could do with their framing.

Furthermore the camera won't stop moving at all. Think of the "Speeder Chase" sequence in Attack of the Clones - with that constantly moving camera. Lucas at least knew how to use that style in moderation - in fact if you watch it there are quite a few long-shots in it, and a handful of shots where the camera isn't moving. JJ's film never seems to have a stationary camera, and he hardly ever likes to give us long-shots - everything is close-up, or extreme close-up, which of course in action sequences causes the camera to move even faster.

It's a style I don't like and I think it's awful.

Sound & the Laws of Physics

Worst film score in a star wars movie. Hands down. There's just no elegance or subtlety to the score like there is in the classic films.

Not only does JJ break laws of physics that Lucas didn't break (such as having characters blown-away by blaster shots), but he makes others even worse - such as depicting space as a noisy place (when in fact sound cannot travel through the vacuum of space).

Yes this is science-fiction, and we expect some laws of physics to be broken, but not to the point where you completely loose the ability to create the suspension of disbelief. For example, (very mild spoiler below):

Special Effects
Completely overused, of course.

Characters
Bland and two-dimensional.

Traditions
Some star wars traditions are respected, such as never using subtitles for locations, and others are not, such as the classic iconic depiction of holograms in the Star Wars universe.

Humour
The film's humour was pretty much spot on, so I have nothing bad to say about that. It's pretty much the only aspect of the film that was pleasing.

Plot
Unoriginal. Basically just a wholesale retelling of plots from previous films, see my blog for more specific spoiler-included details.

Conclusion
Hands-down the worst Star Wars film yet.

1.5/5
[Image: QF4viBO.png]
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: REVIEWED: The Force Awakens (SPOILER FREE)
Thank you. I might watch it, but only when it's available online.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Wow! Greedy studio employed director with absolutely no creativity and it resulted in a bad movie?! HOWWWWWWW?

It seems to me Lucas just had a lot of luck in his life with first two SW movies being interesting mostly because of Darth Vader. 3rd one would be pretty much disgrace if there weren't Darth Vader in it.

I mean sure you could say it's only a movie, but considering the ticked prices they're charging now it's far from what cinema used to be - cheap fun for masses as opposed to theater or opera.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Sigh. Sounds like much of the same crap as with Jurassic World. I begin to think that the art of film making is finally dead in Hollywood.

I mean, we all saw that Abrams is an ignorant hack who should not ever be let near intelligent science fiction when he did in Star Trek, but I hoped that the more fairy tale like setting would suit him better. But it is still a space opera, and what makes a space opera? Atmosphere, beautiful cinematography, fun characters and a minimum of scifi sense. Bummer.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 17, 2015 at 4:21 am)Aractus Wrote: Yes this is science-fiction, and we expect some laws of physics to be broken, but not to the point where you completely loose the ability to create the suspension of disbelief. For example, (very mild spoiler below):

pfff That's just some very talented piloting... something you'd expect from the Skywalkers Tongue

Man, if those two first lines of the initial crawl are real... oh boy...

Also, did you spot the mickey ears anywhere?
Aractus hated it?

Sold. Sold. SOLD. TAKE MY MONEY DAMMIT. Wink

If it's the SW equivalent of Jurrasic World which I LOVED, then I'll be having a lot of fun come the 21st Big Grin
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(December 17, 2015 at 6:23 am)Kaiser Wrote: If it's the SW equivalent of Jurrasic World which I LOVED

Have you hit you head on something hard???
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(December 17, 2015 at 6:46 am)Quantum Wrote:
(December 17, 2015 at 6:23 am)Kaiser Wrote: If it's the SW equivalent of Jurrasic World which I LOVED

Have you hit you head on something hard???

Nah, I just thought Jurassic World kicked the crap out of the original, a statement which I stand by to this day Wink

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(December 17, 2015 at 6:49 am)Kaiser Wrote:
(December 17, 2015 at 6:46 am)Quantum Wrote: Have you hit you head on something hard???

Nah, I just thought Jurassic World kicked the crap out of the original, a statement which I stand by to this day Wink

It is official - you have gone mad.

(December 17, 2015 at 6:51 am)Quantum Wrote:
(December 17, 2015 at 6:49 am)Kaiser Wrote: Nah, I just thought Jurassic World kicked the crap out of the original, a statement which I stand by to this day Wink

It is official - you have gone mad.

I was always quite, quite mad mein freund. But yes, I enjoyed World a fair bit more than Park, Lost World or 3. I'm usually of the mindset that just because something came first in a franchise, doesn't entitle it to be untouchable. I find this is often the case - Jurrasic Park has aged horribly even if the effects are still impressive.
Also, nostalgia is a bitch - the original SW are not perfection in cinematic form, they are simply good to great.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ranking the new Star Wars movie: The Force Awakens Whateverist 9 2109 December 18, 2015 at 5:42 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning, by Chris Hedges Combanitorics 46 7723 November 2, 2015 at 10:03 am
Last Post: abaris