Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subway crash in Mexico City.
Subway crash in Mexico City.
A subway pilon collapsed causing the subway to plung to the ground, killing several and injuring dozens. It unfortunately reminds me of that bridge collapse here in the U.S. a few years ago. Infrastructure and inspections are vital to public safety. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/04/993369172...ozens-more
RE: Subway crash in Mexico City.
How did you get subway out of elevated train?

Subways are underground...elevated trains are, well, elevated.

The word is plunge.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 4, 2021 at 10:08 am)arewethereyet Wrote: How did you get subway out of elevated train?

The word is plunge.

Holy crap. I swear, subways go underground and also move over elevated tracks. Stop  being so pedantic.

I lived in DC, took the subway countless times, the trains do go underground and then travel above ground sometimes. "Subway" is a generic term.
(May 4, 2021 at 10:14 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 10:08 am)arewethereyet Wrote: How did you get subway out of elevated train?

The word is plunge.

Holy crap. I swear, subways go underground and also move over elevated tracks. Stop  being so pedantic.

I lived in DC, took the subway countless times, the trains do go underground and then travel above ground sometimes. "Subway" is a generic term.

No it's not a generic term.  Google it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 4, 2021 at 10:23 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 10:14 am)Brian37 Wrote: Holy crap. I swear, subways go underground and also move over elevated tracks. Stop  being so pedantic.

No it's not a generic term.  Google it.

So it is phyisically impossible for transportation to go underground and then move to an elevated platform? Got it. Even with automobiles one can drive under a river then end up going over a high bridge. Pretty sure you've never done that.
When it’s underground, it’s a subway. When it’s aboveground and traveling above ground level, it’s an el. The terms apply to where the train is at a given moment. What you have here is an elevated train that was part of a subway metro. When this particular train fell down and went boom, it was an el.

Everybody’s right.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 4, 2021 at 10:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: When it’s underground, it’s a subway. When it’s aboveground and traveling above ground level, it’s an el. The terms apply to where the train is at a given moment. What you have here is an elevated train that was part of a subway metro. When this particular train fell down and went boom, it was an el.

Everybody’s right.

Boru

A spider has notable body parts with different names, but overall it is still a spider.
(May 4, 2021 at 10:50 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 10:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: When it’s underground, it’s a subway. When it’s aboveground and traveling above ground level, it’s an el. The terms apply to where the train is at a given moment. What you have here is an elevated train that was part of a subway metro. When this particular train fell down and went boom, it was an el.

Everybody’s right.

Boru

A spider has notable body parts with different names, but overall it is still a spider.

Bad analogy. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 4, 2021 at 11:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 10:50 am)Brian37 Wrote: A spider has notable body parts with different names, but overall it is still a spider.

Bad analogy. 

Boru

Right, so asphalt only exists on land, and never extends to bridges. Concrete only extends to driveways and never extends to bridges. And transportation only exists above ground, and never overlaps with underground. 

Got it.
(May 4, 2021 at 12:00 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 4, 2021 at 11:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Bad analogy. 

Boru

Right, so asphalt only exists on land, and never extends to bridges. Concrete only extends to driveways and never extends to bridges. And transportation only exists above ground, and never overlaps with underground. 

Got it.

No, you don't get it.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boeing 737-800 Airliner Crash in China HappySkeptic 0 182 March 21, 2022 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Kobe Bryant dead from Helicopter crash Brian37 190 17944 February 24, 2020 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  World economy at risk of another crash downbeatplumb 2 355 October 5, 2018 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Tornado Strikes Ottawa Many Homes Destroyed Massive Blackout Across The City Amarok 19 2117 September 24, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Robert Reich: "We might be heading for a crash as bad as 1929" Aegon 10 1046 September 13, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Trump Says Market Would Crash If He Gets Impeached BrianSoddingBoru4 119 11314 August 29, 2018 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water Aegon 9 687 August 8, 2018 at 9:51 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  C-130 crash kills at least 5 in GA c172 1 470 May 2, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  City College Holds "Active Shooter Drill" Rhondazvous 9 1428 April 3, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Self-driving shuttle bus in crash on first day. Succubus 13 1505 November 11, 2017 at 2:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus