Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water
Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environ...to-ban-the

Quote:Baltimore is poised to become the largest U.S. city to prohibit the privatization of its water and sewer system.

If the City Council approves the measure before it on Monday, it would be put on the ballot for voters in November, The Baltimore Sun reports.

The effort would ward off private operators who have attempted to make inroads into the city's water system.

“I have always been a proponent of retaining our city’s assets, which is why I am completely opposed to the privatization of Baltimore’s water system,” City Council President Bernard Young said in a statement to the Sun. “Access to clean and affordable water should be looked at as a basic human right.”
The measure is also backed by Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh (D).

“I’m delighted that the City Council is supportive of my earlier efforts to safeguard Baltimore City’s water system and require that it is always operated in the best interests of those who rely on it, and for generations to come,” Pugh said in a statement to the Sun.

French company Suez Environment lobbied the local government last year to take over its water system.

Baltimore's move would make it the first city in the country to amend its charter in order to keep its water and sewer systems publicly owned.

Thumb up
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Baltimore poised to become first major city to ban privatization of water
Um . . .

er . . .

uh . . .

Flint, Michigan ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Flint's problems arose from a criminal governor appointing a scumbag manager to try to save money.  He did this by trying to poison people.

It had nothing to do with a private company.
Um . . .

er . . .

uh . . .

my point.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What exactly prevents criminal corporate malfeasance of that sort that doesn't apply to government entities?
I'm still not making myself clear.

Neither alternative is much of an assurance with an EPA asleep at the wheel.

http://time.com/4190643/flint-water-cris...edman-epa/

If Susan Hedman was a man, I'd be advocating warming up a log chipper. Since she's a she, I'm now contemplating what sort of sexism I'm exhibiting that is constraining me from recommending the same outcome for her . . .

(August 7, 2018 at 6:13 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Um . . .

er . . .

uh . . .

my point.

I wasn't sure where you were going with that.

Quote:Neither alternative is much of an assurance with an EPA asleep at the wheel.

I wish they were asleep at the wheel.  What they are actually doing is deliberately poisoning people in the interests of corporate profits.
Never heard of privatizing a city water supply before.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It has its own wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_priv...es#Atlanta
(August 7, 2018 at 8:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(August 7, 2018 at 6:13 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Um . . .

er . . .

uh . . .

my point.

I wasn't sure where you were going with that.

Quote:Neither alternative is much of an assurance with an EPA asleep at the wheel.

I wish they were asleep at the wheel.  What they are actually doing is deliberately poisoning people in the interests of corporate profits.

And that was Obama's EPA. My outrage is considerable. Last line of defense for those kids in Flint was the feds EPA and they punted it totally. Makes me think clean, pure water is more of a political talking point than an actual goal. Not sure why this seeming criminal malfeasance could have occurred during a Dem administration otherwise.

It definitely blurs the distinction between the current administration and the one prior.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who will become the next Prime Minister of the UK - after Boris Johnson? Dundee 21 1604 July 17, 2022 at 5:07 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Subway crash in Mexico City. Brian37 11 916 May 4, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2419 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  BREAKING:The exclusion of the UK and non-Schengen countries like Ireland from the ban WinterHold 6 743 March 14, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Rut Ro Raggy, Bibi in hot water...... Brian37 1 632 September 8, 2019 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  California ban on high capacity magazines declared unconstitutional popeyespappy 178 10324 May 3, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Baltimore, MD - Husband and daughter arrested for murder of Jacquelyn Smith EgoDeath 0 423 March 5, 2019 at 1:49 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Congrats, Trumptards.... This Is What You Have Become Minimalist 8 492 November 3, 2018 at 6:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Tornado Strikes Ottawa Many Homes Destroyed Massive Blackout Across The City Amarok 19 2117 September 24, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Suddenly Things Become Clearer Minimalist 20 1531 July 30, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris