Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 7:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Undercover Boss" TV show.
"Undercover Boss" TV show.
Is a major network show, and the theme is where the owner of the business disguises their appearance and pretends to be a new low level hire, to observe the goings on in a seemingly random location. It is a motif to intend to convey that CEOs are not the JEFF Bezos/ Walmart class, and that they "truly care". I think this show is simply more bullshit virtue signaling. 

Episode after episode, business after business, the CEO gets painted as "admitting" they could have done better, and end up rewarding "loyalists" and admit they could do better for their employees?

Is anyone buying this theme? Sure, if you pay off one desperate employee, by paying off their rent/mortgage/ college lone, or pay for a family vacation, sure, for that particular individual you helped them. But the point to me, isn't about helping the few, or helping for PR, but helping more.

I am not against the idea of giving a voice to the lowest level employee. But I think this show isn't about helping more, I simply think it is more corporate PR.
RE: "Undercover Boss" TV show.
I don't watch reality shows.

I certainly don't think they qualify as "entertainment".
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 19, 2021 at 6:48 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I don't watch reality shows.

I don't either, but the point is that "reality shows" are rampant, and to claim they don't have an impact on society I think is a mistake.

I do for example, think that Jerry Springer has had an extremely negative effect on pop culture. And I am not talking about banning anything. I simply think that when a market is flooded by too much of one thing, it can have a negative effect on a society.

No "Undercover Boss" is not entertainment, but unfortunately it does appeal to the gullible that "if I just get on the hamster wheel" my boss will eventually reward me.

Some people consider watching golf entertainment.....

I think a guy could make money televising paint drying, grass growing and flies fucking.....

Aftet 10 when the kids aren't watching - the real draw - passing traffic.....

Must see TV...
(June 19, 2021 at 6:54 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:

Some people consider watching golf entertainment.....

I think a guy could make money televising paint drying, grass growing and flies fucking.....

Aftet 10 when the kids aren't watching - the real draw - passing traffic.....

Must see TV...

How did golf become part of this?

But since you  went down this road, on average, how many poor rural whites, or poor urban blacks, or for that matter, suburban whites can afford to play golf on a weekly/monthly basis like a billionaire or famous sports star?  Please do tell me how cheap playing 9 or 18 holes is for any zip code?

Golf in the private sector is a fucking extremely expensive sport to play. And while the sport has been far more racially inclusive in the past couple decades, please don't argue, that because Obama became President, and Tiger won a few majors, the inequity doesn't exist now.

I don't play golf myself, as a white person, for the most part, because I suck at all sports, not just golf. But as far as cost. It is fucking absurd. Playing 18 holes of golf, even if I was good at it, is as fucking absurd as paying $1,000 dollars for an OZ of Caviar. When I see people like Tiger or Serina or Venus excel in any sport, I am truly happy for them. Physically I wish I had that skill. But I do not. But there is still a very deep inequity inside and outside sports, with things like redlining, gerrymandering, that still on average put minorities at a great disadvantage.

My point is, I am tired of "shock fame" which is what "reality tv" is. Be it WWE, or Real World, or Dumb Dynasty, or Kardumbbians. "Undercover Boss" is simply a show faking empathy for workers but no less "reality TV" than the rest.
Glad you’ve discovered - yet again - something trivial to rage about.

Boru

Edit: The average cost for a round of golf is $36, which includes the cart rental.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 19, 2021 at 7:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Glad you’ve discovered - yet again - something trivial to rage about.

Boru

Edit: The average cost for a round of golf is $36, which includes the cart rental.

No, unfortunately it is NOT trivial. I would love nothing more than humanity to focus on climate change, and cleaning up the oceans. But when a fuckface like Trump wins an election he had no business winning, and throws a fit when he loses, which causes an insurrection, don't tell me Jerry Springer or Fucks News didn't lead to his rise.

$36 dollars, really, tell me how many fry cooks or hotel maids can afford $36 dollars a week or even a month to play golf?
(June 19, 2021 at 8:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 19, 2021 at 7:23 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Glad you’ve discovered - yet again - something trivial to rage about.

Boru

No, unfortunately it is NOT trivial. I would love nothing more than humanity to focus on climate change, and cleaning up the oceans. But when a fuckface like Trump wins an election he had no business winning, and throws a fit when he loses, which causes an insurrection, don't tell me Jerry Springer or Fucks News didn't lead to his rise.

$36 dollars, really, tell me how many fry cooks or hotel maids can afford $36 dollars a week or even a month to play golf?

Bitching about a TV show is trivial, since we all know reality TV doesn’t reflect reality.

I have no idea how many of them could afford it, I was simply refuting your wrong statement that golf is ‘extremely expensive’. Sure, $36 is out of the reach of some people, but it isn’t extremely expensive.

Also, bear in mind that $36 is the median price (I said ‘average’ before - my mistake), which means that a lot of places offer prices lower than that, which should come as a relief to all the millions of fry cooks and hotel maids who are longing to play golf.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 19, 2021 at 6:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Is a major network show, and the theme is where the owner of the business disguises their appearance and pretends to be a new low level hire, to observe the goings on in a seemingly random location. It is a motif to intend to convey that CEOs are not the JEFF Bezos/ Walmart class, and that they "truly care". I think this show is simply more bullshit virtue signaling. 

Episode after episode, business after business, the CEO gets painted as "admitting" they could have done better, and end up rewarding "loyalists" and admit they could do better for their employees?

Is anyone buying this theme? Sure, if you pay off one desperate employee, by paying off their rent/mortgage/ college lone, or pay for a family vacation, sure, for that particular individual you helped them. But the point to me, isn't about helping the few, or helping for PR, but helping more.

I am not against the idea of giving a voice to the lowest level employee. But I think this show isn't about helping more, I simply think it is more corporate PR.

Show us on the doll where Jeff Bezos hurt you.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 19, 2021 at 8:27 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Boru

1. Golf is the single most boring thing on the planet. Waiting in line at the DMV is a party by comparison..

2. If you can't afford $36 bucks a month for something you allegedly enjoy - you better step it up and do some more chores around the house and maybe your parents will increase your allowance..... Adults know how to make and spend income. $36 is pocket change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you have a favorite HGTV show? Foxaèr 1 263 July 29, 2020 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stupidest show airing on television? Foxaèr 31 1679 July 22, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dog v Cats, a cable show......... Brian37 9 783 May 17, 2020 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Dear Hunter, another cop show. Brian37 35 2769 February 6, 2020 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  I loved the show MASH... BUT.... Brian37 61 3957 May 4, 2019 at 6:29 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  TV show "Hunter" and Tv show "MASH" Brian37 11 1005 April 20, 2019 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  New Trek show... The Valkyrie 100 9080 August 13, 2018 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Mystic
  CBS to make show about black atheist.... Brian37 1 311 July 20, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  80s Cop show "Hunter" and plot holes. Brian37 0 265 March 7, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Musicians of AF, show us your gear! Rev. Rye 13 1332 January 5, 2018 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus