Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plain Jane Car Decal
Photo 
Plain Jane Car Decal
Finally, my father is ready for me to paint his car. The project is to paint "plain Jane" themed decals on the backside of the car. It'll add a personalized touch to this muscle car that he's working on. He asked for very specific things and he offered to pay me for the commission. I accepted.

So today is the first day and I went for Jane Jetson on the driver's side. The medium I am using is 1-Shot oil-based lettering enamel paints.

In order to keep the subject as close to accurate as possible, I started out with homemade stencils. I measured out a few pieces of cardboard so they were all the same size and shape, one for each color that Jane Jetson is(4). Then I drew Jane Jetson on sketch paper, by sight freehand drawing her. Then I cut her out and traced each part of her onto the pieces of cardboard. Then I used an exacto knife to cut out the pieces on the stencils.

I took a picture at the end of the day but you can see the work on these. They became a rest for my paint brushes after I was done with them. They were only used for the initial addition of the colors onto the car canvas.

[Image: jane_jetson_stencils_by_bawdabaw_delxzuh...XxujwmmdG4]

Then after that, color by color, I mixed paints and added details. I got all the colors done today. Now all I need to do is add her face and the black outline over everything.

[Image: jane_jetson_car_day_1_by_bawdabaw_delxzm...TU10LJ7-aY]
[Image: jane_jetson_car_day_1_02_by_bawdabaw_del...q9hrBIKLf0]

I am...dissatisfied with it. ^^;; I feel like it looks wobbly and shitty and I'm hoping it looks cleaner when I add the black lines and her face. But my dad paid me today for the supplies and he seemed quietly pleased with it. I just have to accept sometimes that it matters more that the client is happy and I'm just too close to it(literally with nose pressed right up against it) to see anything other than the mistakes.

[Image: dad_s_car_by_bawdabaw_delxzr5-fullview.j...68I1n4qKQI]

Here is the rest of the car. It's still being worked on.

RE: Plain Jane Car Decal
Ranchero?
I see a hand, a hand!

*swoons*

Sorry, I'm useless when it comes to car talk.
(June 21, 2021 at 9:51 pm)no one Wrote: Ranchero?

El Camino...
(June 21, 2021 at 9:41 pm)Five Wrote: Finally, my father is ready for me to paint his car. The project is to paint "plain Jane" themed decals on the backside of the car. It'll add a personalized touch to this muscle car that he's working on. He asked for very specific things and he offered to pay me for the commission. I accepted.

So today is the first day and I went for Jane Jetson on the driver's side. The medium I am using is 1-Shot oil-based lettering enamel paints.

In order to keep the subject as close to accurate as possible, I started out with homemade stencils. I measured out a few pieces of cardboard so they were all the same size and shape, one for each color that Jane Jetson is(4). Then I drew Jane Jetson on sketch paper, by sight freehand drawing her. Then I cut her out and traced each part of her onto the pieces of cardboard. Then I used an exacto knife to cut out the pieces on the stencils.

I took a picture at the end of the day but you can see the work on these. They became a rest for my paint brushes after I was done with them. They were only used for the initial addition of the colors onto the car canvas.

[Image: jane_jetson_stencils_by_bawdabaw_delxzuh...XxujwmmdG4]

Then after that, color by color, I mixed paints and added details. I got all the colors done today. Now all I need to do is add her face and the black outline over everything.

[Image: jane_jetson_car_day_1_by_bawdabaw_delxzm...TU10LJ7-aY]
[Image: jane_jetson_car_day_1_02_by_bawdabaw_del...q9hrBIKLf0]

I am...dissatisfied with it. ^^;; I feel like it looks wobbly and shitty and I'm hoping it looks cleaner when I add the black lines and her face. But my dad paid me today for the supplies and he seemed quietly pleased with it. I just have to accept sometimes that it matters more that the client is happy and I'm just too close to it(literally with nose pressed right up against it) to see anything other than the mistakes.

[Image: dad_s_car_by_bawdabaw_delxzr5-fullview.j...68I1n4qKQI]

Here is the rest of the car. It's still being worked on.

I think it looks great!  I can't draw or paint but I know with embroidery I have done the addition of the black lines and tiny details really complete a picture and make it pop.

Like most people who do creative things, I am sure you are your own worst critic.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]Otter Van Kitaboodle IV:
Sorry, I'm useless when it comes to car talk.

What? You can't handle a stick?
Looks like some pretty damn fine work to me. Great

Like you said, adding the lines for detail will improve it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'd guess Ranchero as the wheel wells are more rounded. The El Camino's were a little more squared off.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 21, 2021 at 10:00 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: I'd guess Ranchero as the wheel wells are more rounded.  The El Camino's were a little more squared off.

I guessed Camino because the marker light should be visible just behind the gas door.... On a Camino its down lower....
Hey, you're doing fine. Just finish it before you throw in the towel. In my youth, I used to patronize a speed shop called "Service Center", located at the corner of Victory and Sepulveda Blvds in Van Nuys, CA. It was famous for speed parts, but is long gone. There was a pinstriping shop owned by a guy, last name of Moss, in that same shopping center. He was one picky SOB, and if he didn't like what he did on your car, he'd do it over or wipe the paint off and tell you that he was sorry and send you on your way...or just leave it on and tell you it was free. You remind me of that guy. If your dad likes it and the customer likes it, run with the money. There is no accounting for taste, and you aren't going to bankrupt that customer, given what they are paying for the rest of that work. Don't be so hard on yourself!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Painting on a car? zwanzig 40 4352 May 3, 2021 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: zwanzig
  Car Crash Brian37 8 608 June 20, 2020 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4