Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion or Belief Legislation
Religion or Belief Legislation
In 2003 the British Government enacted a piece of legislation handed down by the European Union (pursuant to their social charter) known as the Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003. For those so inclined the full text is available via a quick Google search.

When I was in my final year of university in 2003 I wrote a lengthy essay on the subject lauding its aims and the protection the legislation offered and, indeed, I mused as to the definition of the word 'belief' -- would it include, say vegitarianism?. Like many young people -- particularly students -- my left wing leanings have been somewhat replaced when faced with the world of work. To be frank I haven't really thought about Discrimination Legislation since those days.

However, recently I decided to have a breif read through. It is notable that the guidance (ACAS, Trades Unions) notes that the Legislation provides protection from Discrimination on the grounds of all major religions and including minor religions such as rastafarianism and, horrifyingly, scientology. It also protects good ole atheists too! More recently those with a religious bent seem to have been flexing their muscles with regard to this legislation. You may have read about the British Airways hostess suing for BA refusing to allow her to have a visible cross, or the Birmingham Police chef who refused to cook bacon and sausages. Quite bizarrely -- considering the previous two cases were based somewhat on religion -- there was the schoolgirl who sued the education authority for refusing to allow her to wear a chastity ring.

It occurs to me that what separates this legislation apart from other equality legislation (and it is an equality basis in the UK -- positive discrimination is discrimination per se) is that the protection is based upon a person's choice rather than their inherent characteristics (sex, skin colour, disability, age). I wonder how far a person's choice should be protected in this regard and why religion (or lack of) seems to hold such a vaunted place compared to other beliefs. Why should a person's choice in religion (or lack of) be protected?

There are arguments, of course, that religion in many instances is attached to skin colour, or national origin and that protection on the grounds of religion also protects against discrimination on these grounds. However, that is not necessarily the case. Just because my skin is brown doesn't mean I'm a hindu or a muslim. Just because I'm Irish doesn't mean I'm catholic.

There are also social factors: if there was no protection on the grounds of religion, would this then create [even more] segragation in British society? I've come across many law firms that, while giving the appearance of being secular for business purposes, evidently are not. A small christian denomination church will only employ Christian solicitors so, to attract the clients, the firm is widely held to be a 'Christian' firm. Firms that deal with Islamic Banking (what a joke -- paying interest without paying interest) require Muslims, or justify being exclusively Muslim because of the need for Gudjrati or Urdu speakers. Now, i'm not suggesting that people go out and start discriminating against people with a religious leaning -- indeed, work is work: best person for the job. But when people are given extra rights based on nothing but a choice, should people stand idly by?

So, here's the question: Should people be protected from discrimination on the basis of their choice of, or lack of, religion?
God Calls Me God
RE: Religion or Belief Legislation
(January 26, 2009 at 10:40 am)LondonLoves Wrote: Should people be protected from discrimination on the basis of their choice of, or lack of, religion?
People should be protected from discrimination on the basis of their religion (or lack thereof) unless a valid logical reason can be offered to highlight a certain issue (such as the chef who doesn't want to handle meat). In cases such as these, the fault lands with the person who chose the job knowing full well what it entailed.

Of course an anti-discrimination policy shouldn't affect freedom of speech, and people should have the ability to say whatever they want about a person's religious beliefs.
I think it's easy to answer this question,

If we look at other locations around our world, primarily countries where freedom of belief / from discrimination is not upheld, we see the issues that arise. Minorities being persecuted by the mainstream, I think we can all probably draw more than handfull of examples from memory ... In short the legislation should be there but hopefully applied in a logical and pragmatic manner.

Regards

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
(January 27, 2009 at 10:41 am)Sam Wrote: I think it's easy to answer this question,

If we look at other locations around our world, primarily countries where freedom of belief / from discrimination is not upheld, we see the issues that arise. Minorities being persecuted by the mainstream, I think we can all probably draw more than handfull of examples from memory ... In short the legislation should be there but hopefully applied in a logical and pragmatic manner.

I wonder (and in no way am I asserting that i'm correct -- education and evolving thought, it seems, is a lifelong process: indeed, I often have trouble organising my thoughts into something cohesive) whether there is a confusion here between religion and race? Further, could it be possible that this legislation grants rights above and beyond the freedom of a citizen to hold a particular view, religion or belief?

My focus with regard to religious discrimination generally centres around the choice someone has in determining their religion. Although it is true that often religion and race are overlapping -- An Iranian is more likely to be a Muslim than a Christian -- i do believe that a division can be drawn between, say, nationality ('race') and religious bent. The protection of minorities can surely be achieved through protection from discriminations on the grounds of race, rather than religion?

With regard to 'protecting minorities from persecution', the UK law does not prohibit someone from enjoying any religion they wish -- hell, even holocaust denial isn't illegal. The Human Rights Act grants the right to religious gathering and association. So how far do religions need to be further protected? Note, also, that this legislation doesn't merely protect minority religions, but all religions. The head of state in the UK (the Queen) is also the head of the Church of England. As much as Iran is a Muslim state, so the UK is a Christian one. Does protection from discrimination on the grounds of Religion really protect minorities?

The overreaching arch to my thoughts is with regard to religion being a 'choice'. If someone's choice does not accord with my choice then should I be able to discriminate on those grounds? What if (as an employer) I believe that belief in invisible beings is tantamount to insanity? What if I object to someone believing I am an infidel and should burn in hell, or any of the other delights encapsulated in the Koran?

Again, i am completely open minded about this (hell, my girlfriend is a Muslim -- i'll kill the fool that treats her wrong) and not in the "I'm an open minded Christian here to talk about evolution but i'm going to reject everything you say" 'open minded' way. Indeed, Tiberius's post has given lots of clarity to my thoughts and I believe that is the germ of the correct thought on the subject.
God Calls Me God
In certain African religions the body parts of Albinos have strong curative properties should we protect this religions right to harvest the parts.

In other words exactly how far does the law bend for the religious.

I think too much is made of religious or hate crimes. If someone is knifed is it really worse that he was knifed for being a jew/chinese/martian or whatever.

The crime is the crime whatever the motive.

And what of the atempted suppression of my rights by the religious.
I speak of atempts to block things I like.

The life of brian had a hate campaign run against it by narrow minded religiously blinkered biggots.

And why cant I shop on a sunday when it would be most convenient for me. I'll tell you why the church of bloody england thats why.

Our 24 hour asda shuts at 4 on sunday. if I need loo roll after that I have to pay £35 at the local co op.

Rant over

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3355 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6260 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1774 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4156 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 26127 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7606 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6727 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Knowledge, belief, and honesty. Mystic 29 3819 March 19, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  How to become a God, in 3 simple steps (absent faith/belief): ProgrammingGodJordan 91 14749 November 28, 2016 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25711 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111