Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How far do we go?
How far do we go?
If you ask me if assholes like Jefferson Davis or Andrew Jackson deserve statues of honor, of course not. I was proud to find out that the High School I graduated from in 1985 changed it's name from "Robert E Lee" to "John Lewis" a couple years back. 

I get changing names and removing "memorials". I get that. Bullies in history do not deserve positions of honor. But we as a species should not over correct and actually physically destroy history in all cases. I am glad the Holocaust Museum exists in DC. Not because it is promoting fascism, but because it serves as a lesson as to what not to do to your fellow human beings. 

"Monuments" are not just about history, they are justifications for positions of power.

Let me make it clear. A monument of honor is one thing. A monument of "honor" that is bullshit, isn't a matter of valuing humanity, but vanity. Objective recording of history isn't about promoting, it is about noting, recording.

The Holocaust museum was not about dominance, but "don't do this to your fellow human".
RE: How far do we go?
In all of New Zealand, there is not one, single statue honouring Genghis Khan. Shameful.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 8, 2021 at 1:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In all of New Zealand, there is not one, single statue honouring Genghis Khan. Shameful.

Boru

You can bet that enough Americans migrate there, you'll eventually have a statue of Robert E. Lee somewhere.

I've had the concussive pain to have this same argument with so many different people and they simply do not get it because they simply do not want to get it.  It's about white, southern dominance and anything that threatens that is unacceptable.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 8, 2021 at 2:19 pm)Spongebob Wrote:
(September 8, 2021 at 1:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: In all of New Zealand, there is not one, single statue honouring Genghis Khan. Shameful.

Boru

You can bet that enough Americans migrate there, you'll eventually have a statue of Robert E. Lee somewhere.

I've had the concussive pain to have this same argument with so many different people and they simply do not get it because they simply do not want to get it.  It's about white, southern dominance and anything that threatens that is unacceptable.

Not on public property, we won’t.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 8, 2021 at 11:51 am)Brian37 Wrote: If you ask me if assholes like Jefferson Davis or Andrew Jackson deserve statues of honor, of course not. I was proud to find out that the High School I graduated from in 1985 changed it's name from "Robert E Lee" to "John Lewis" a couple years back. 

I get changing names and removing "memorials". I get that. Bullies in history do not deserve positions of honor. But we as a species should not over correct and actually physically destroy history in all cases. I am glad the Holocaust Museum exists in DC. Not because it is promoting fascism, but because it serves as a lesson as to what not to do to your fellow human beings. 

"Monuments" are not just about history, they are justifications for positions of power.

Let me make it clear. A monument of honor is one thing. A monument of "honor" that is bullshit, isn't a matter of valuing humanity, but vanity. Objective recording of history isn't about promoting, it is about noting, recording.

The Holocaust museum was not about dominance, but "don't do this to your fellow human".

[Image: 2K8.gif]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 8, 2021 at 2:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 8, 2021 at 2:19 pm)Spongebob Wrote: You can bet that enough Americans migrate there, you'll eventually have a statue of Robert E. Lee somewhere.

Not on public property, we won’t.

Boru

That's the spirit!   Great

There's this statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest in Tennessee that looks crazy.  It's on private land right beside an Interstate Highway.  It's kind of fitting seeing as how NBF was a nutjob who helped found the KKK.  It often gets vandalized and right now is painted pink.

[Image: 195786298_f213e06da0_o.jpg]
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(September 8, 2021 at 2:55 pm)Spongebob Wrote:
(September 8, 2021 at 2:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not on public property, we won’t.

Boru

That's the spirit!   Great

There's this statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest in Tennessee that looks crazy.  It's on private land right beside an Interstate Highway.  It's kind of fitting seeing as how NBF was a nutjob who helped found the KKK.  It often gets vandalized and right now is painted pink.

Wow. That one should definitely stay up.

Maybe that’s the solution: Allow statues of famous Confederates, but stipulate that they must look as if they were designed by an 11 year old with substance abuse issues.

Boru
(September 8, 2021 at 3:11 pm)OBrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 8, 2021 at 2:55 pm)Spongebob Wrote: That's the spirit!   Great

Wow. That one should definitely stay up.

Maybe that’s the solution: Allow statues of famous Confederates, but stipulate that they must look as if they were designed by an 11 year old with substance abuse issues.

Boru

You don' t understand......

That is a very likelike statue......

That' s really what NBF looked like......

That' s what happens when your family tree only has one branch.....

Tut Tut

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAACP going to far? brewer 17 1239 October 30, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The far right thinking they know pronouns Foxaèr 6 330 May 27, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Going a bit far with pronoun usage again Foxaèr 20 1369 May 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem WinterHold 164 12469 February 17, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] Far right seizing COVID-19 ‘opportunity’ to expand: Study WinterHold 8 520 November 23, 2020 at 4:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Canada- another van kills 7 so far ignoramus 36 5081 April 25, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole Minimalist 10 1764 March 23, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  As Far As The WLB Is Concerned They Are Just Mexicans Minimalist 1 424 December 28, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  This General Is Far Better Than His C-in-C Minimalist 25 4543 October 1, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Guys.....isn't this going a bit too far? ErGingerbreadMandude 230 15123 February 1, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: LastPoet