Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going a bit far with pronoun usage again
Going a bit far with pronoun usage again
Railway company apologises to non-binary passenger for "Ladies and Gentlemen" greeting
gaytimes.co.uk
Quote:While commuting on the LNER, Laurence Coles, a train guard and LGBTQ+ rep for the RMT union, became uncomfortable after the conductor used the gender-exclusive phrase.

Taking to Twitter, Coles expressed their disappointment for the employee’s language.

“‘Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls….’So as a non-binary person, this announcement doesn’t actually apply to me so I won’t listen,” they tweeted.

Jerkoff
RE: Going a bit far with pronoun usage again
I can only assume that they'd really be alienated if they had to spend some time with Dr. Weird.

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
There has to be a balance somewhere. Like, respectful and compassionate on both sides. Getting upset over a neutral address to a crowd is not compassionate.

Clearly, this train conductor has a deep-seated animosity towards the non-binary.

I thought maybe the greeting could be changed to, 'Good afternoon, everyone', but the '...one' might cause offense to people with multiple personalities.

Fuxxake, people. Lighten up and take the thought for the deed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Doesn't "Dear Sirs/and/or/Madams" cover just about everyone. Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
You can never tell when butt hurt will raise it's whatever.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Theybies and gentlethem, zees and zirs.

My teenage daughter thinks they might be non-binary and is starting to think about these things, and that's cool with me. The loud activists who get the most attention and want to silence everyone else are real pieces of work, but the average trans and NB person is cool.
I suspect that Normal Stuff™ sounds different to people who are not a part of the normal that society is organized around. When we think of a future world where people are making us uncomfortable with their casual wokeness and pronoun use...weeeeeeell...we're probably feeling something like what those people are feeling now.

We're getting awfully vocal about it as we tell them to shut up. Should be instructive.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
At work.

*Raises hand*

Okay. As some one born somewhat closer to the middle of last century than this one.

Could some younger forum member explain to me the ins and outs/proper meaning of "Non binary"?

'People batting for the same team' I get.

People who understand themselves to be different on the insides than their outsides and adjust things to match I grok.

It's this 'Non.binary' term I'm not quite up to date with yet.

Thanks.
Gender binary is the assumption that people are one of two genders. Non binary is nonconformity to that assumption.

Think -a boy who identifies as a girl but not as female - a girl who identifies as a boy but not as male. Slide these terms around into any respective slot, vary degrees of certainty or disparity. The list, as you might imagine, could be endless - since there are many more than two ways of seeing one's self. Any personal apprehension of gender that doesn't neatly fall exclusively into the binary camps.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Trump going to Prison? FrustratedFool 392 20532 February 22, 2024 at 2:55 am
Last Post: GUBU
  NAACP going to far? brewer 17 1240 October 30, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How far do we go? Brian37 7 677 September 8, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone going to watch the Jan 6th hearings? Brian37 39 3404 July 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The far right thinking they know pronouns Foxaèr 6 334 May 27, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Pronoun Backlash Foxaèr 41 3758 April 7, 2021 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem WinterHold 164 12485 February 17, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] Far right seizing COVID-19 ‘opportunity’ to expand: Study WinterHold 8 524 November 23, 2020 at 4:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Is The NRA Going Bye-Bye? BrianSoddingBoru4 46 2046 August 9, 2020 at 5:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Has anyone noticed the decrease in mask usage? TaraJo 40 1889 July 4, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah