Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAACP going to far?
NAACP going to far?
Quote:In response to the most recent attacks on voting rights and reproductive care, the Association sent an open letter to the National Players' Leagues, urging free agents to reconsider moving their families to a state that is not safe for anyone.

NAACP President and CEO Derrick Johnson:
"We must stand up for what is right and protect our loved ones from the dangerous attacks on freedoms taking place in Texas."

Today, the NAACP sent a letter to every professional sports players' association in the country, urging its free agents to reconsider signing contracts in Texas. This unprecedented move comes as Texas Governor Greg Abbott approved new political maps that dilute the political power of communities of color....

..."As we watch an incomprehensible assault on basic human rights unfold in Texas, we are simultaneously witnessing a threat to constitutional guarantees for women, children and marginalized communities," write the authors. "Over the past few months, legislators in Texas have passed archaic policies, disguised as laws, that directly violate privacy rights and a woman's freedom to choose, restrict access to free and fair elections for Black and brown voters, and increase the risk of contracting coronavirus. If you are a woman, avoid Texas. If you are Black, avoid Texas. If you want to lower your chances of dying from coronavirus, avoid Texas."

https://naacp.org/articles/naacp-urges-p...void-texas

From the last paragraph in the letter to the athletes:

Quote:We are now pleading with you -- if you are a free agent and are considering employment in Texas, look elsewhere.  The Texas government will not protect your family. Demand that Texas owners invest in your rights and protect your investments. Texas is not safe for you, your spouse, or your children. Until the legislation is overturned, Texas isn’t safe for anyone

AFAIC this is crosses my line. I agree that Texas government has made some horrible laws, taken horrible actions, but I don't think this request/position is appropriate and should be placed on the shoulder of athletes.. 

Thoughts?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: NAACP going to far?
The nutbars will notice, and they wont be happy deprived of their favorite field hands...excuse me, excuse me.....student athletes™.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Not seeing where they went too far. Texas is a shithole state.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
(October 30, 2021 at 10:04 am)brewer Wrote: AFAIC this is crosses my line. I agree that Texas government has made some horrible laws, taken horrible actions, but I don't think this request/position is appropriate and should be placed on the shoulder of athletes.. 

Thoughts?

It's just a request. I don't think it crosses a line to ask. I think the words used were "we are pleading"... that sets the tone for the request.

As far as I can tell, it's like boycotting Texas. Boycotting something doesn't cross a line. But it does often require everyday people to make sacrifices. (Like the Montgomery bus boycott). It's not easy. But boycotts are about as civil as it gets.

But this is the first I've heard of this, so maybe I don't understand something.
(October 30, 2021 at 10:04 am)brewer Wrote: AFAIC this is crosses my line. I agree that Texas government has made some horrible laws, taken horrible actions, but I don't think this request/position is appropriate and should be placed on the shoulder of athletes.. 

Thoughts?

It comes across as advice and being concerned with the welfare of these athletes. I don’t see it as any different from, say, urging production companies not to make films in Texas.

As Vulcan said, this amounts to calling for a boycott. What line does it cross?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
How is that going too far?
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
So it's OK for the POC's with money and influence to get out, what about the rest? And why are they only focusing on athletes? Why not all POC's (actually all peeps) that these absurd laws are effecting?

I think this will only enrage people. Seems like change should come from within.
(October 30, 2021 at 3:21 pm)brewer Wrote: So it's OK for the POC's with money and influence to get out, what about the rest? And why are they only focusing on athletes? Why not all POC's (actually all peeps) that these absurd laws are effecting?

I think this will only enrage people. Seems like change should come from within.

Because people of colour without the option to leave (or not go to Texas in the first place) aren’t going to pressure the government of Texas to change its policies. The NAACP are focusing on people who can exert that kind of pressure. Can you imagine the revenue loss to the state if ALL Black athletes declined contracts in Texas? Asking people to leave who can’t leave seems kind of pointless.

Several years ago, a woman we know proudly announced that she was going to ‘save the elephants’ by boycotting ivory. Since she couldn’t recall ever having bought any elephant ivory ever, it was an empty gesture. Same kind of thing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I live in the 'shithole' known as Texas... *sigh* Fucking judgemental people. Generalizations piss me the fuck off.

Anyway - I live quite near Dallas and Fort Worth. The NAACP seems to be focusing on athletes of color. That leaves out a hell of a lot of people of color around here since the big dollar athletes of color tend to be black.

The Metroplex has very large populations of people of all color. There is a large Asian population right here in my neighborhood and that's true in many areas. There is, expectedly, a large Hispanic population.

Is the NAACP asking all people regardless of what shade of brown they are to give up opportunities? If it's about trying to keep black athletes from coming here then I think it's wrong. If they want everyone of color to boycott the state, then say so.

Actually, for real impact they need to get everyone involved.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

This is not a request for a boycott, it's love it or leave it thinking. Isn't that playing into TX lawmakers hands? Hell the TX government could just as easily say don't like it-get the fuck out.

The teams will fill the gaps for any who leave (for probably less money) and still rake in the fundage. The public will still attend, they'll still be on TV, the advertisers will still buy time.  You don't think the Lions or Browns are losing money do you? So they leave which makes no/less POC's playing, what does that say to the rest of the population? Sorry, sucks to be you.

And if even a partial exodus happens what will be the treatment those who stay (maybe not by choice)?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Trump going to Prison? FrustratedFool 392 20466 February 22, 2024 at 2:55 am
Last Post: GUBU
  How far do we go? Brian37 7 677 September 8, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone going to watch the Jan 6th hearings? Brian37 39 3384 July 28, 2021 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The far right thinking they know pronouns Foxaèr 6 332 May 27, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Going a bit far with pronoun usage again Foxaèr 20 1369 May 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem WinterHold 164 12472 February 17, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] Far right seizing COVID-19 ‘opportunity’ to expand: Study WinterHold 8 521 November 23, 2020 at 4:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Is The NRA Going Bye-Bye? BrianSoddingBoru4 46 2043 August 9, 2020 at 5:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  They're going to catch sh*t for this. Brian37 8 861 April 25, 2019 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  So, Brits. How's Brexit Going? Minimalist 190 15529 February 4, 2019 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris