Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem
Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem
https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/01/15/far...solutions/

Quote:From Brazil to the United States, Hungary to New Zealand, right-wing extremist ideas and groups are posing a grave threat to democratic societies. Within this context, the ongoing support U.S. President Donald Trump receives from parts of his base despite the drop in his approval numbers and the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 reflects the continued evolution of a global threat. As New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden emphasized after a right-wing terrorist killed over 50 people at a pair of mosques in her country, “there is no question that ideas and language of division and hate have existed for decades, but their form of distribution, the tools of organization—they are new.” If there is any hope of repairing those divides and advancing equality, rule of law, an inclusive civil society, and respect for human rights, the United States needs to work with other countries and multilateral organizations to build a coalition to combat the growth and spread of right-wing extremism.

Nearly 20 years after the attacks of 9/11 and the subsequent launch of what American leaders dubbed the “global war on terror,” the world finds itself confronting a new threat. Throughout the 2000s and 2010s, as the international community focused on al Qaeda, the Islamic State, and other groups espousing a particular interpretation of Islam to justify their terrorism, right-wing extremism grew around the world. Social media platforms and chatrooms offered important mediums for people to share ideas, connect, and learn from each other regardless of geographical location, facilitating connections that might otherwise have been difficult to form.

Looks like Islamic extremism is old news....
RE: Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem
(January 16, 2021 at 12:31 pm)WinterHold Wrote: Looks like Islamic extremism is old news....
...but right wing extremism doesnt make it any less dangerous.

Whataboutism much?
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
They've cranked it up to 11, the bastards.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It’s seems kind of like a global Whack-A-Mole - while you’re focusing on one band of murderous lunatics (Islamists extremists), another group of murderous lunatics (right wing populists) is waiting to spring in to action.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 16, 2021 at 1:38 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s seems kind of like a global Whack-A-Mole - while you’re focusing on one band of murderous lunatics (Islamists extremists), another group of murderous lunatics (right wing populists) is waiting to spring in to action.

Boru

I always compare the size of the damage when I pick my enemies. Islmaists are not popular, they only exist in places torn by civil wars, while Rightist white extremists exist in huge masses in all western societies, they formed political parties and even won the elections in some places.

I think you're comparing mosqituoes to elephants if you began comparing White supremacist phenomena to Islamic terrorists.

The silence in front of this issue created a beast. One that will soon reach the head of state -just like Trump did-.
(January 16, 2021 at 1:47 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(January 16, 2021 at 1:38 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s seems kind of like a global Whack-A-Mole - while you’re focusing on one band of murderous lunatics (Islamists extremists), another group of murderous lunatics (right wing populists) is waiting to spring in to action.

Boru

I always compare the size of the damage when I pick my enemies. Islmaists are not popular, they only exist in places torn by civil wars, while Rightist white extremists exist in huge masses in all western societies, they formed political parties and even won the elections in some places.

I think you're comparing mosqituoes to elephants if you began comparing White supremacist phenomena to Islamic terrorists.

The silence in front of this issue created a beast. One that will soon reach the head of state -just like Trump did-.

I wasn’t making a comparison, I was describing the situation.

Paris, London and New York have all been the target of significant Islamist attacks, but none of these places were ‘torn by civil war’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 16, 2021 at 2:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 16, 2021 at 1:47 pm)WinterHold Wrote: I always compare the size of the damage when I pick my enemies. Islmaists are not popular, they only exist in places torn by civil wars, while Rightist white extremists exist in huge masses in all western societies, they formed political parties and even won the elections in some places.

I wasn’t making a comparison, I was describing the situation.

Paris, London and New York have all been the target of significant Islamist attacks, but none of these places were ‘torn by civil war’.

Boru

I can name you serial killers who inflicted similar casualties in the crimes they did -with the exception of 9/11 which was a direct expected consequence for the U.S military interventions in the Middle East-.

But the attacks that the Right extremist did was far more destructive.
It is, and you should be intimately familiar with it, Winter, from the inside. Right wing whatsits, is a category broad enough to apply to whatever it's specific instantiation is in a given region.

Insomuch as our own right wing extremists were always a more credible threat -to us- than right wing extremists halfway across the world, a focus on our home grown guys is a return to sanity and availability. Necessary, even, in light of recent events.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 16, 2021 at 12:31 pm)WinterHold Wrote: https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/01/15/far...solutions/

Quote:From Brazil to the United States, Hungary to New Zealand, right-wing extremist ideas and groups are posing a grave threat to democratic societies. Within this context, the ongoing support U.S. President Donald Trump receives from parts of his base despite the drop in his approval numbers and the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 reflects the continued evolution of a global threat. As New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden emphasized after a right-wing terrorist killed over 50 people at a pair of mosques in her country, “there is no question that ideas and language of division and hate have existed for decades, but their form of distribution, the tools of organization—they are new.” If there is any hope of repairing those divides and advancing equality, rule of law, an inclusive civil society, and respect for human rights, the United States needs to work with other countries and multilateral organizations to build a coalition to combat the growth and spread of right-wing extremism.

Nearly 20 years after the attacks of 9/11 and the subsequent launch of what American leaders dubbed the “global war on terror,” the world finds itself confronting a new threat. Throughout the 2000s and 2010s, as the international community focused on al Qaeda, the Islamic State, and other groups espousing a particular interpretation of Islam to justify their terrorism, right-wing extremism grew around the world. Social media platforms and chatrooms offered important mediums for people to share ideas, connect, and learn from each other regardless of geographical location, facilitating connections that might otherwise have been difficult to form.

Looks like Islamic extremism is old news....

Um I think you don't understand that "far right" applies to every religion.

There are Buddhists and Hindus and Jews whom have the same bullshit conservative values of fear of others and oppression of females Islam and Christianity has.

But sorry, 19 assholes slammed 4 planes into my country, because an invisible friend told them to on 9/11/01.

Are their "far right" Christians? YES and I hate them as much.

There ARE conservative Jews whom have refused to sit on commercial passenger jets next to women, in the same context right wing Muslims force sexist clothing on women.
(January 16, 2021 at 5:35 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(January 16, 2021 at 2:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I wasn’t making a comparison, I was describing the situation.

Boru

I can name you serial killers who inflicted similar casualties in the crimes they did -with the exception of 9/11 which was a direct expected consequence for the U.S military interventions in the Middle East-.

But the attacks that the Right extremist did was far more destructive.

Name those serial killers...I need a frame of reference.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAACP going to far? brewer 17 1238 October 30, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How far do we go? Brian37 7 676 September 8, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The far right thinking they know pronouns Foxaèr 6 328 May 27, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Going a bit far with pronoun usage again Foxaèr 20 1369 May 18, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Far right seizing COVID-19 ‘opportunity’ to expand: Study WinterHold 8 520 November 23, 2020 at 4:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  FORBES OP/ED blasts the global market. Brian37 17 1310 May 20, 2019 at 11:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  XR global warming International Rebellion Duty 23 1139 May 3, 2019 at 2:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Greed is global. Brian37 18 1997 May 1, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Canada- another van kills 7 so far ignoramus 36 5081 April 25, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole Minimalist 10 1764 March 23, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37