Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Someone explain to me
Someone explain to me
Michigan had until recently, lifetime coverage on automotive medical insurance. That is - if you got hurt and required lifetime care - the insurance company was on the hook to pay.

Then - they changed the law. Now people who were in longterm care are being thrown out of long term care facilities and left to fend for themselves.

My question - how is this not an ex post facto change?

I can see them changing the law for future cases - but how can they change the terms of service on the previous cases - without violating the Constitutional ban on passing ex post facto laws?
RE: Someone explain to me
How deep into the weeds do you want to go? Calder v Bull (1798)established that it was specifically referencing criminal laws. More recent decisions leave it toothless even there.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 21, 2021 at 9:18 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: How deep into the weeds do you want to go?  Calder v Bull (1798)established that it was specifically referencing criminal laws.   More recent decisions leave it toothless even there.

I see. I did not know that -

However - you still have contract law.

How can you pass a law that nullifies all contracts of a point of agreement?
Subject clauses and/or mutual consent. Mind you, the latter is a term of art in practice. Agree to this change or we fold as a company and you lose all your insurance, anyway, is an attempt to form mutual consent. They'll send out a policy rider and a clause notice and people will sign it...like they always do. Holdouts will be tied up in litigation until they miss a payment or do (or are found to have done) anything which is already on the long list of reasons that an insurance company can terminate their contract with you. Even if you won there, they'd retreat to state process and commerce clauses. They only have to outlast some terminally ill claimant, odds are in their favor.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
"You're in good hands"

Unfortunately one is around your throat and the other is throttling your nuts....
They've successfully lobbied for a private monopoly on the ability to negotiate healthcare. The real reason that single payer get's tanked. The insurance companies know it works - the money we'd save is their profit margin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone explain this to me? Brian37 20 1101 May 16, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Girls Vs. Boys: Brain Differences Might Explain Tech Behaviors EgoDeath 25 1614 September 26, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How is a Halloween Parade Not "Inclusive", please explain Neo-Scholastic 25 2734 October 30, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Amarok
  I knew that water slide would kill someone. Brian37 53 4917 August 10, 2016 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Someone tried to kill steven hawking dyresand 43 3508 July 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Do You Congratulate Someone For A Promotion Like This? Minimalist 11 1749 January 29, 2016 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Someone Aware Me Please? ThePinsir 25 6607 July 25, 2014 at 11:16 am
Last Post: A Theist