Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is a Halloween Parade Not "Inclusive", please explain
How is a Halloween Parade Not "Inclusive", please explain
A school in Massachusetts canceled a Halloween parade: HERE

The reason given by the principal was as follows:

Quote: "The costume parade is out of our ordinary routine and can be difficult for many students. Also, the parade is not inclusive of all the students and it is our goal each and every day to ensure all student's individual differences are respected."

Don't want to make too much about this because I really do not have a clue about what makes a Halloween parade non-inclusive and what 'inclusion' even looks like when you're basically excluding everyone. Also, it seems to me that when a kid wears the costume of his or her choice they are indeed expressing they individual differences. Maybe someone can explain this one to me.
RE: How is a Halloween Parade Not "Inclusive", please explain
Jehovah's Witnesses kids don't get to do things like this. Not sure what this story is about, but my guess is that it has more to do with 'respecting the feelings' of kids from religious nuts' households than anything else.
Can't help you, Chad.  They don't do a very good job of explaining their position.

This, however,

Quote:"I think it's a lot of political correctness," a Walpole woman said. "I think it's a shame because Halloween is the funnest day of the year -- next to Christmas -- for children."

suggests to me that some of the adults up there should never have been allowed to graduate from elementary school.

Most likely some moron wrote a letter to the school board complaining and they folded like a cheap camera.
(October 23, 2017 at 2:49 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: A school in Massachusetts canceled a Halloween parade: HERE

The reason given by the principal was as follows:

Quote: "The costume parade is out of our ordinary routine and can be difficult for many students. Also, the parade is not inclusive of all the students and it is our goal each and every day to ensure all student's individual differences are respected."

Don't want to make too much about this because I really do not have a clue about what makes a Halloween parade non-inclusive and what 'inclusion' even looks like when you're basically excluding everyone. Also, it seems to me that when a kid wears the costume of his or her choice they are indeed expressing they individual differences. Maybe someone can explain this one to me.

Discriminatory to the wiccans perhaps?
Considering their are groups who view Halloween in a negative light. And said movement has been growing this does not surprise me.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

I can think of at least two reasons off the top of my head. 

First is religious. My second ex refused to let my son dress up, trick or treat or attend any party that was called "Halloween" or anything even close. She sent him to "Harvest Festivals".

Second is monetary. Kids of families that can't afford costumes are marginalized.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quite a few popular costumes from the past have been deemed insensitive.

I recall a hobo costume I wore in 3rd grade (this would have been 1965 as I recollect) and that would be inappropriate.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 23, 2017 at 9:19 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Quite a few popular costumes from the past have been deemed insensitive.

I recall a hobo costume I wore in 3rd grade (this would have been 1965 as I recollect) and that would be inappropriate.

I dressed as a hobo one halloween, in the late eighties when I was a kid.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 23, 2017 at 9:04 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I can think of at least two reasons off the top of my head. 

First is religious. My second ex refused to let my son dress up, trick or treat or attend any party that was called "Halloween" or anything even close. She sent him to "Harvest Festivals".

Second is monetary. Kids of families that can't afford costumes are marginalized.

A kid could throw a sheet over his head and go as Jeff Sessions.  Costs next to nothing.
(October 23, 2017 at 9:20 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(October 23, 2017 at 9:19 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Quite a few popular costumes from the past have been deemed insensitive.

I dressed as a hobo one halloween, in the late eighties when I was a kid.

I've seen a few hobo outfits here and there while taking my kid out to trick or treat.

As for the OP, I'm fully on board with schools not having Halloween or other holiday events during school hours. Sorry, people, I want my kid in school focusing on academics! The school year and school days are short enough as it is...she doesn't need to be messing around with social events instead of studying.

Most schools here have fall festivals right before Halloween - after school hours. Kids and their families can go if they choose (we do) and parade around in costumes, play games and eat candy. School hours need to be for reading, writing and 'rithemetic.

-Teresa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Someone explain to me onlinebiker 5 295 September 21, 2021 at 10:02 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Someone explain this to me? Brian37 20 1101 May 16, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Please Justify This Police Action For Me BrianSoddingBoru4 251 17745 February 5, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Girls Vs. Boys: Brain Differences Might Explain Tech Behaviors EgoDeath 25 1616 September 26, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Please Do It, You Dumb Fuck. Sue Him! Minimalist 19 1491 September 6, 2018 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Honoring George Washington, Unwelcoming...Please Keep it Up Neo-Scholastic 37 2826 November 1, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Crazy Left Keeps Coming...Please. Don't Stop. Neo-Scholastic 152 18451 October 31, 2017 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Fox at it again: dresses black kid up as watermelon for Halloween segment Foxaèr 49 7533 October 26, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ken Ham wants to ruin Halloween Foxaèr 31 6385 October 16, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: FFaith
  Please help support this Science activism..... Brian37 2 437 January 26, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist