Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC Documentary about a real world "cure" for autism - youtube
BBC Documentary about a real world "cure" for autism - youtube
I've got a job interview for the post of Support Worker in a care home with (some) profoundly autistic adults. In my prep/research I came across this BBC 2013 documentary which has...blown my socks off, for want of a better phrase. Watch and be...revised.

RE: BBC Documentary about a real world "cure" for autism - youtube
TL;DW.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Cure" is definitely the wrong word.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 26, 2021 at 12:22 pm)brewer Wrote: "Cure" is definitely the wrong word.

Everybody's a critic. Any suggestions for a more appropriate alternative? Perhaps I should have avoided the quote marks and called the thread "BBC Documentary about a real world cure for profound autism - youtube."
(September 26, 2021 at 10:41 pm)Lawz Wrote:
(September 26, 2021 at 12:22 pm)brewer Wrote: "Cure" is definitely the wrong word.

Everybody's a critic. Any suggestions for a more appropriate alternative? Perhaps I should have avoided the quote marks and called the thread "BBC Documentary about a real world cure for profound autism - youtube."

I'm not a critic, it's just not a cure (i.e. no more ADS). And though ABA/ABT can appear cruel it's the most effective therapy for ADS in many ways. But it does not work for all.

I see that the Atlantic did a good article on it: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...sy/495272/
ABA relies on an outdated view of Autistic Neurology and is highly suspect in the long-term treatment of Autistic children. I also find it to be ethically dubious.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.100...21-00201-1
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(September 26, 2021 at 11:30 pm)brewer Wrote:
(September 26, 2021 at 10:41 pm)Lawz Wrote: Everybody's a critic. Any suggestions for a more appropriate alternative? Perhaps I should have avoided the quote marks and called the thread "BBC Documentary about a real world cure for profound autism - youtube."

I'm not a critic, it's just not a cure (i.e. no more ADS). And though ABA/ABT can appear cruel it's the most effective therapy for ADS in many ways. But it does not work for all.

I see that the Atlantic did a good article on it: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...sy/495272/

Good, impartial article - thanks for that. I think you mean ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) rather than ADS. I could not find a definition of ABT...que? By my reasoning, a treatment does not have to be 100% effective for 100% of patients in order to earn the term "cure," but I take your point to a degree....the goal of ABA is, by my mind, ultimately, to keep people away from being doomed to a life of institutionalisation. The goal of ABA should not be to make neuro-diverse individuals indistinguishable from the neurotypical, IMO.
(September 26, 2021 at 11:43 pm)Helios Wrote: ABA relies on an outdated view of Autistic Neurology and is highly suspect in the long-term treatment of Autistic children. I also find it to be ethically dubious.

I take it you haven't watched the documentary in the OP. The view that a lifelong state of dependency/institutionalisation is a bad thing and to be avoided/prevented does not amount to an outdated view of autistic neurology. Also, from wiki, first three items on ABA efficacy:

Quote:

• A 2007 clinical report of the American Academy of Pediatrics concluded that the benefit of ABA-based interventions in autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) "has been well documented" and that "children who receive early intensive behavioral treatment have been shown to make substantial, sustained gains in IQ, language, academic performance, and adaptive behavior as well as some measures of social behavior".[91]

• Researchers from the MIND Institute published an evidence-based review of comprehensive treatment approaches in 2008. On the basis of "the strength of the findings from the four best-designed, controlled studies", they were of the opinion that one ABA-based approach (the Lovaas technique created by Ole Ivar Løvaas) is "well-established" for improving intellectual performance of young children with ASD.[92]

• A 2009 review of psycho-educational interventions for children with autism whose mean age was six years or less at intake found that five high-quality ("Level 1" or "Level 2") studies assessed ABA-based treatments. On the basis of these and other studies, the author concluded that ABA is "well-established" and is "demonstrated effective in enhancing global functioning in pre-school children with autism when treatment is intensive and carried out by trained therapists".[93] However, the review committee also concluded that "there is a great need for more knowledge about which interventions are most effective".
(September 27, 2021 at 12:33 am)Lawz Wrote:
(September 26, 2021 at 11:30 pm)brewer Wrote: I'm not a critic, it's just not a cure (i.e. no more ADS). And though ABA/ABT can appear cruel it's the most effective therapy for ADS in many ways. But it does not work for all.

Good, impartial article - thanks for that. I think you mean ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) rather than ADS. I could not find a definition of ABT...que? By my reasoning, a treatment does not have to be 100% effective for 100% of patients in order to earn the term "cure," but I take your point to a degree....the goal of ABA is, by my mind, ultimately, to keep people away from being doomed to a life of institutionalisation. The goal of ABA should not be to make neuro-diverse individuals indistinguishable from the neurotypical, IMO.

Yes ASD, peas extrude dy typing dysleria and inabilite to poof read. ABA and ABT(therapy) same same, you'll find them both referenced.

I agree with your statement but unfortunately ABA does not work for all and institutions are a necessary evil.

(September 26, 2021 at 11:43 pm)Helios Wrote: ABA relies on an outdated view of Autistic Neurology and is highly suspect in the long-term treatment of Autistic children. I also find it to be ethically dubious.

I'll just stick these here.

https://www.altteaching.org/about/

https://ouci.dntb.gov.ua/en/works/4O0Y2Rjl/
1. Yes I did watch it which is why i responded.

2. I disagree with the notion it doesn't suggest ignoring autistic neurology.

3. Because it's a widely supported method does not negate the objections. Sorry 

And I'll stick with this

https://ouci.dntb.gov.ua/en/works/73LxV824/

And Altteaching.org you mean that site that allowed this  article on vaccines and autism to be published on their site 

https://www.altteaching.org/the-truth-about-autism/

I'm not here to start a fight but this isn't a very impressive response
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is prostatin not the cure to HIV highdimensionman 2 551 May 23, 2022 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  COVID cure for MS patients. WinterHold 10 959 January 18, 2021 at 2:12 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Autism and Tech intervention glasses brewer 0 358 April 26, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Excellent Documentary Here Minimalist 0 341 May 4, 2017 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Stated Cleary: A wonderful YouTube page for thr curious ReptilianPeon 1 479 August 31, 2016 at 10:51 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thousand year old cure for MRSA superbug? popeyespappy 8 3255 March 31, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  A cure for diabetes? Tonus 17 2906 October 9, 2014 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  'Afterlife' feels 'even more real than real,' researcher says pocaracas 5 2950 April 18, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Real Scientists....Doing Real Science Minimalist 1 1667 February 21, 2012 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Origins of Us BBC documentary 5thHorseman 12 5295 October 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus