Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
So apparenty Yahweh had a wife
So apparenty Yahweh had a wife
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42154769/ns/...e-science/

Quote:God had a wife, Asherah, whom the Book of Kings suggests was worshipped alongside Yahweh in his temple in Israel, according to an Oxford scholar.

Asherah's connection to Yahweh, according to Stavrakopoulou, is spelled out in both the Bible and an 8th-century B.C. inscription on pottery found in the Sinai desert at a site called Kuntillet Ajrud.

"The inscription is a petition for a blessing," she shares. "Crucially, the inscription asks for a blessing from 'Yahweh and his Asherah.' Here was evidence that presented Yahweh and Asherah as a divine pair. And now a handful of similar inscriptions have since been found, all of which help to strengthen the case that the God of the Bible once had a wife."

I wonder when Yahweh found the time among all the mass drowning, burning, torturing, turning people into salt, exterminating babies, sending plagues, etc to rip out one of his ribs and make himself a wife.

Even worse this makes Yahweh look like a cheating scum by impregnating another woman (Mary). So apart from being a homicidal douchebag, he also comes across as a cheating scumbag.

Why do so many people worship such an asshole?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Atheist I Evolved!
RE: So apparenty Yahweh had a wife
So... Yahweh is a playboy...Worship (large)
Dirnis Wrote:Why do so many people worship such an asshole?

See Ubermensch's video, in this thread, shown on Q&A. The part about beleif in god starts at about 7.50. She explains it well.
Tongue 
(March 19, 2011 at 12:23 am)DiRNiS Wrote: I wonder when Yahweh found the time among all the mass drowning, burning, torturing, turning people into salt, exterminating babies, sending plagues, etc to rip out one of his ribs and make himself a wife.

Even worse this makes Yahweh look like a cheating scum by impregnating another woman (Mary). So apart from being a homicidal douchebag, he also comes across as a cheating scumbag.

Why do so many people worship such an asshole?

Actually, he had a wife and then they took her away when the Hebrews decided to go with monotheism. They poor sexually frustrated guy then channeled all his sexual energy into aggression and tried to fill his need for marital love with demands for sycophantic adoration from mortals. It wasn't until he got laid in the NT that he mellowed out some.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Interesting, this means judeism was originally polytheistic...more studies should be helpful.
(March 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: Interesting, this means judeism was originally polytheistic...more studies should be helpful.

Haven't we known this for some time? It was after the Babylonian Captivity that Judaism went monotheistic. I'm not sure about this so I'm asking.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(March 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm)Rwandrall Wrote: Interesting, this means judeism was originally polytheistic...more studies should be helpful.

The Hebrews certainly appear to have had a number of goddesses :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hebrew_Goddess

Also interesting is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_Judaism

If, as it seems, that Judaism originated from the Canaanites, then they were certainly polytheistic.

Some fascinating history here:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=bua2...&q&f=false

Seems that Yahweh started life as a local weather god before becoming the Supreme God, not necessarily the only one, but head of all gods.

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
(March 19, 2011 at 12:26 am)Jax Wrote: So... Yahweh is a playboy...Worship (large)

More likely pussy-whipped. It would explain his anti-social tendencies.
I can honestly say i don't know anything about judeism Big Grin except the Old Testament, but from the Christian perspective.
Big Grin

Xtians understand Judaism so well that they eat fucking pork!

Not that Judaism is worth learning about, either.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2109 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  So Noah had crab lice Fake Messiah 0 530 July 18, 2021 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 2868 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Had an interesting encounter with a so called Christian on social media today GODZILLA 16 2460 May 24, 2018 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Astreja
  If atheists had a nickle ............. Brian37 11 2414 December 17, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5424 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Church demands the victim apologize to pastor's wife since the pastor did the rape. Foxaèr 122 15811 September 17, 2016 at 4:30 am
Last Post: rado84
  Yahweh Killed by Operation Rescue fanatics Rhondazvous 7 1771 April 8, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  An Old Idea I Had About The (Hebrew) Word "Adam" (relates to Quran also) ReptilianPeon 1 1454 February 5, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  How do people justify the worship of Yahweh? Celestine 13 4622 August 22, 2015 at 8:30 am
Last Post: robvalue