Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So there are how many translations now?
So there are how many translations now?
12,000? The number keeps growing: Gender-neutral Bible
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
RE: So there are how many translations now?
ROFLOL

more evidence that the bible is man made??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
But it's "the word of God!" Never mind how many times we've changed it...
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
(March 21, 2011 at 8:57 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: more evidence that the bible is man made??

You thought God made it? Confusedhock:
(March 21, 2011 at 8:57 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: more evidence that the bible is man made??

Do we really need evidence? Isn't evidence needed only when there is doubt? The book speaks for itself, I think!

There are many intelligent Christians, no doubt, but an "intellectual Christian", is surely an oxymoron.
HOLY SHIT!!! NOT ANOTHER TRANSLATION!!!!

Panic

This makes translation number jillion, kajillion, bazillion, and one.

(I'm beginning to fall in love with this little panicking smiley)
Yes! ANOTHER translation!

So let's see... this book started out as an oral history. This oral history was passed down through an unknown number of generations with each successive story teller adding his own embellishments. Finally, it was written down. And then copied. It was copied an unknown number of times. It was then translated. And translated again. And again. And again. Until it was translated into a form of English we wouldn't understand. Finally, it was translated into English. It was then tweaked and converted into many different versions.

So who the hell knows what the original said? You couldn't have a grocery list go through that many retellings, copies, translations and conversions without having some big changes in the dinner menu!

But it's the "inerrant word of God"!

Yeah, right!

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Or.....

You have the original text, and you try to work out exactly what it says in the language of your time. Time moves on, and you have to translate it again so this new crowd now get it. Sometimes you let your own culture influence your translation a little too much and mis-translate a few lines. Sometimes you get in a crazy mood, but get major respec for that cool lolcat version.
(March 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Or.....

You have the original text, and you try to work out exactly what it says in the language of your time. Time moves on, and you have to translate it again so this new crowd now get it. Sometimes you let your own culture influence your translation a little too much and mis-translate a few lines. Sometimes you get in a crazy mood, but get major respec for that cool lolcat version.

You'd think this deity would provide us with an inerrant copy of his word. You know, so we don't muck it up. But he's been silent for 2,000 years. Gee, I wonder why....

The only people involved in the whole sorry spectacle called "christianity" who are conceivably even more confused, ignorant and superstitious then modern christians are the iron age vegetables who partook in concocting such drivel as might be called the "original text" of the "bible".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5246 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How do theists justify the translations of the scriptures? Macoleco 44 6481 October 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 17144 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 29490 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist? Whateverist 22 4892 November 13, 2016 at 1:35 am
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18307 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  so you're in heaven now what? - coming soon so you're in hell now what v2 dyresand 8 2725 July 13, 2015 at 12:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How Many People Would Have To Die? Nope 29 3838 April 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Yeah....Way Too Many Fucking Morons Running Around Loose in this Country Minimalist 37 8455 February 3, 2015 at 12:08 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How many churches in your town? Norman Humann 50 7392 January 29, 2015 at 8:54 am
Last Post: popeyespappy