Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist?
Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist?
For most of us a "law of science" is simply a description or prediction that checks out.  But often we've gotten Christians through here who will ask "who do you think enforces those laws of science?"  Awkward.  I guess they're thinking science is like the old west, nothing behaves as it ought unless there is an adequate sheriff in town.  That leads to weird arguments about fine tuning, as though nothing has any inherent nature dictating how it reacts.  I guess if you think all creation is but the whim of an almighty omniguy, then any order we find must reflect the will of that guy.

They treat morality the same way.  Rather than merely describing predictable patterns of behavior, a fundy thinks there are moral laws which are what they are cuz God says so.  Here at least a non-fundy can agree there is a need for some enforcement and we address that need with a justice system.

Not all Christians are guilty of this sort of sloppy thinking but it sure would be nice to see fundies accept of a correct view of science before they reject it.[/rant]
RE: Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fu...
Their god concept is proscriptive, that's the context in which they conceptualize these sorts of things...and so when they consider physical law, they imagine it to be similarly proscriptive...rather than descriptive - as they are-.....which, to them, -rationally- begs the question of just who or what -proscribes- them.

They're actually following through, in a completely reasonable fashion...it's just that they began with a mistaken assumption. Wrong for the right reasons.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist?
Sure seems weird from this side of the divide.
RE: Why are the "laws" of physics so different as conceived by many xtian fundamentalist?
Physical laws might seem to 'limit' God's purview, perhaps. If He were limited to a finite locus, and finite lightspeed, then He isn't as Almighty as He might otherwise be.

And whereas the Bible might have given mere humans all manner of 'heads up' regarding the actual properties of the universe, it didn't. We've noted before, churchy folks don't like surprises.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I generally see this from hard-core trolling types or YECs who haven't been trained to think that a word might have more than one definition. The trolls are gonna troll, it's how they roll. YECs generally are ineducable.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Gotta say that I generally agree, though it's not that they couldn't be educated, they'd just rather not be.  They -prefer- the context of their conceptualizations.  We see this all the time.

"But if there is no x, then bad men just get away with it!"

Yeah...............that's what happens, regardless of what we believe. Dodgy
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Fair enough. When I used to argue with theists, that willful ignorance was really annoying. I don't even discuss the silly religious stuff, for the most part. It is painful for me to see that much ignorance wrapped up in one skull, with no interest in learning why they are wrong, and I'm not just talking about gods.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
The idea that laws of physics are somehow to be followed blindly by decree of some authority is pretty common outside of fundamentalist circles as well, simply because the way physics is often taught in school - as a collection of facts to be memorized rather than as the preliminary results of a scientific process.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 6, 2016 at 5:35 pm)Alex K Wrote: The idea that laws of physics are somehow to be followed blindly by decree of some authority is pretty common outside of fundamentalist circles as well, simply because the way physics is often taught in school - as a collection of facts to be memorized rather than as the preliminary results of a scientific process.

Now you're just depressing me.
IKR? I mean, I've heard that education has gone down the shitter, but I like to dismiss it as "golden age" rambling.  Meh, maybe it has.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does god put the needs of the few above the need of the many? Greatest I am 69 5030 February 19, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Genesis interpretations - how many are there? Fake Messiah 129 16939 January 22, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: donlor
  7 Pious Xtian Shits Who Stepped On Their Own Dicks Minimalist 0 877 October 12, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2609 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus as Lord - why is this appealing to so many? KevinM1 307 29382 February 14, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  What I see in the Bible is different then Jews and Christians. Mystic 8 2583 December 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is there room for a xtian section in an atheist forum? Bow Before Zeus 70 9618 December 6, 2017 at 4:04 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  What xtian hymns sound like to an atheist drfuzzy 30 7847 September 22, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Lyle Jeffs, Fundamentalist Mormon Breeding Colony Finance Wizard ARRESTED !!! vorlon13 6 2196 June 17, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  are there different versions of the 10 commandments ? yampampuza 31 10175 April 21, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye