Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes.
Irene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes.
While watching a video about why the Roman Christian Church got separated to Eastern & Western, a disgusting and repulsing penalty stopped me. 
The capital penalty is "Gouging out the eyes" of the sentenced; a form of heathen torture practice that Eastern Christians in the Byzantine Empire notoriously practiced.

The famous example of using this practice is the Byzantine Empress Irene of Athens who practiced this brutal punishment against her own son Constantine, and restored Iconodulism (worship of pictures of Christ and priests) into the Byzantine Empire.

[Image: 1024px-Rembrandt_-_The_Blinding_of_Samso...A19097.jpg]
RE: Irene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes.
Yeah because Islams methods of punishment are just candy and ice cream  Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

RE: Irene of Athens: the Christian Byzantine Empress who gouged her own son's eyes.
And yet you support punitive maiming. 

I suspect that the only reason you find eye gouging to be ‘disgusting and repulsing’ is that Mohammad didn’t authorize it. If he had, you’d heartily approve.

Boru

Edit: sorry, Helios - that was for Winter.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Or maybe the Regent refused to cede power to her son and eye-gouging was merely the means to that end.
(December 26, 2021 at 5:14 pm)Ranjr Wrote: Or maybe the Regent refused to cede power to her son and eye-gouging was merely the means to that end.

Not to mention that if you stop reading history every time you run across a horror story like this, you may as well save yourself the trouble and stop reading history altogether.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
You were supposed to quit eating those paint chips, not double down on them, winter.
Sez the OP, when we have graphic evidence of people being thrown off a tower to their deaths, simply for being gay...in "modern" Middle Eastern times.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Soooooo…..did you ever end up figuring out why east and west got separated? Seems like it might be instructive for you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
How tastefully brutal. I like this Irene woman.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(December 26, 2021 at 5:03 pm)Helios Wrote: Yeah because Islams methods of punishment are just candy and ice cream  Dodgy

I thought it was bacon and whiskey, silly me.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mom's Rehab and her roommate. Brian37 25 3310 August 9, 2016 at 5:40 am
Last Post: GUBU
  What Ruler Said he would Kill any woman Who Claimed Zeus Fathered her Child? Rhondazvous 4 615 April 4, 2016 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe