Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Violence, what violence?
Violence, what violence?
Interesting poll results released indicating a majority of Americans fear our Democracy is in trouble of collapse.  But the results are mostly driven by Republicans who still deny the 2020 presidential election was legitimate.  Most astonishingly, Republicans were more likely to accept violence as a legitimate response.

I would say the way this question is worded is of vast importance.  While I don't have the poll questions, this line does make one wonder:

Republicans were slightly more likely than Democrats to agree that "it is OK to engage in violence to protect American democracy"; 32% of Trump voters agreed, compared with 22% of Biden voters.

If the question was stated as would you support violence to prevent American democracy from being destroyed, I would agree.  But protect it from what?  That's at least as important.  The insurrection of Jan 6 WAS the threat, not the protection.  That is objective fact.

Story here:  https://www.npr.org/2022/01/03/106976416...poll-jan-6
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
RE: Violence, what violence?
I think conservatives are more apt to think that violence solves problems generally.

I'm not being cheeky. There was a psychological study done that hinted at this conclusion. Years ago... so I'm not 100% on it. And the study didn't say conservatives were more violence prone or anything... just that they were more apt to see violence as a means to solve problems.

But it does fit the anecdotal model. Remember the criticism of Obama's "apology tour?" Like, Obama admitted to a few of America's mistakes and was berated by the right for not pounding his chest and spitting threats at Iran.
RE: Violence, what violence?
Makes sense, if I'm honest. Looking over conservative policies (at least from what I remember), their solutions for the problems society faces tend to fit into three categories. The first two are: commit more violence (terrorism, oil, police brutality), increasing punishment (abortion, drugs, crime in general). And the last category seems to be to ask "Why the fuck is this supposed to be a problem?" (COVID, mass shootings, income inequality, systemic racism). Fixing underlying social problems that cause these issues (beyond pleading for people to go back to their bullshit idea of the Good Old Days) seems to be a foreign concept to them. And exercising compassion towards people who aren't obscenely rich? What kind of fuckery is that?

When their solutions to everything boil down to either not giving a shit about the issue at hand or hurting/punishing "offenders" more, it'd be more surprising if they weren't more inclined to think violence is the answer.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 2902 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1440 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I've been thinking about racism, immigration, violence, murder and culture Shinri 6 702 October 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Orlando workplace violence. Mentally ill? NuclearEnergy 5 1208 June 6, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Congress bans the CDC from doing study on gun violence TaraJo 95 14891 October 11, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Violence flares around Northern Ireland marches cratehorus 6 1999 July 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Domestic violence directed against men more common now in Germany Something completely different 19 9302 May 31, 2013 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: missingnocchi
  Buddhist instigated violence in Myanmar CapnAwesome 12 5359 April 14, 2013 at 9:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Finaly, some police violence for others! Something completely different 1 1191 March 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Pray away gun violence? Brian37 9 3391 March 19, 2013 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Whateverist