Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congress bans the CDC from doing study on gun violence
Congress bans the CDC from doing study on gun violence
http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetstemwed...-violence/

I've actually heard Republicans say, in the wake of these shootings, "we shouldn't ban guns if we don't have evidence that banning them will reduce violence."  I guess this is how they're going to suck some NRA dick and keep that line true: they just block any studies that might prove guns play a role in gun violence and hide behind the second amendment.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Congress bans the CDC from doing study on gun violence
Well, to be honest, what would the CDC have in relation to guns? Guns are not diseases.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 4, 2015 at 11:56 pm)Kitan Wrote: Well, to be honest, what would the CDC have in relation to guns?  Guns are not diseases.

But they do many studies into the causes of society's ills.
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 4, 2015 at 11:57 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(October 4, 2015 at 11:56 pm)Kitan Wrote: Well, to be honest, what would the CDC have in relation to guns?  Guns are not diseases.

But they do many studies into the causes of society's ills.

Yep.  A lot of the research they do is on how we can not die and you'd think researching guns would be a good way to do that; especially when these kinds of mass shootings are getting to be alarmingly regular.

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Not following this line of logic at all.

Not surprised, though.
~ Erin Hunter
I'd be surprised if the CDC study, if it was done, would be of any more lasting impact than Simpson-Bowles.

And since most of you reading that just went, "Simpson-Bowles, WHAT THE FUCK IS SIMPSON-BOWLES ????" I'd say I have proven my point.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It would seem to be the purview of ATF of the FBI, but if no one else, sure the CDC has the capability to collect and assess data through their connections with the health industry, mainly front-line hospitals, I should think.

(October 5, 2015 at 12:17 am)Parkers Tan Wrote: It would seem to be the purview of ATF of the FBI, but if no one else, sure the CDC has the capability to collect and assess data through their connections with the health industry, mainly front-line hospitals, I should think.

Since the CDC is made up of scientists, y'know, people who have a history in science and studies and research, I think this might be the kind of thing they'll be able to do better.  ATF and FBI aren't exactly scientific departments, y'know.

Both of them have scientists on staff, too. And more importantly, they have a deeper knowledge of gun ownership/sales patterns.

ETA: I know what scientists are and what they do. Thanks for the condescension, though.

I most importantly wonder Min's response to this.

What happens when the CDC states that guns are not bad and that people are?

No matter what result of any test is procured, will the NRA do anything to change?

Scientists can test anything they want, but making the NRA see reason is not likely.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 3018 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 4009 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] Violence, what violence? Spongebob 2 625 January 3, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Congress and drink coasters. Brian37 4 449 February 15, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another Gun Thread Foxaèr 254 18917 September 29, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  An Open Letter to Congress Secular Elf 14 991 March 4, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Most British voters support violence on brexit downbeatplumb 17 1482 October 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof gun control works GrandizerII 115 6192 August 23, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Buzzfeed reports Trump directed Cohen to lie to congress LadyForCamus 61 6473 January 26, 2019 at 5:49 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why People Ignore Facts (Gun Control) Jade-Green Stone 22 1644 December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Angrboda